Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Path of Exile

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a free-to-play PC online action Role-Playing Game set in a dark fantasy world.

Should Giant Bomb do a review and QL of Path of Exile?

Dahbadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Giant Bomb do a review and QL of Path of Exile? (150 votes)

Yes. It's one of the most amazing indie games ever made. It should be recognized. 65%
    No. I don't care about Path of Exile. 43%

I've been playing Path of Exile a lot recently. I am blown away by how awesome the game is on so many levels. I was surprised, when I did a search on Giant Bomb and couldn't find anything other than a wiki entry.

Here are some reasons why I think PoE is worth a review and/or QL:
    - It's an incredible deep game. Probably the best ARPG since Diablo 2.
    - The game has AAA production value. Great art assets, atmosphere, dialogue, and voice acting.
    - It's the only free-to-play game that I know of that's truly not pay-to-win. The only thing you can buy that affects gameplay is additional stash space. If Giant Bomb has a policy against reviewing free-to-play games, I think PoE deserves an exception.

To warn anyone that's thinking of trying PoE out, the first Act on the first difficulty setting is a bit dry. However, if you stick through to Act 3, the game opens up and gets better and better.

I did a search on the forums to see if a similar post was already made. I couldn't find anything. If you're interested in seeing PoE reviewed, please vote and bump this thread. Thanks!

• 
    Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Stete

Review? No, its a free to play game, how the hell you review that?

Quick look? Sure. Although it's not like people are on the fence about this, if they want to check it out they can just download the game. I havent played it since the beta but I did have fun with it and it was perhaps the only free to play game which didn't bukkaked you with in game app purchases.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

…. You worked on this game, didn't you?

Dahbadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a developer nor do I know anyone on the dev team. I live in America, the dev team is in New Zealand. I'm just impressed by the game, is all. I'd just like to see such a great game and development team get props on a webiste I like (Giant Bomb Dot Com).

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did one of diablo 3 and that game was shit. POE is as good as D2, if not better. But GB don't like to cover things, so probably not.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think they should cover things that they're actually interested in covering.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

I think Brad said on his stream that he would check it out, but whether that means it'll ever get coverage on the site or not... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I seriously doubt it'll ever be reviewed.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

I like the game (I bought my way into the closed beta summer 2012), but I still want to answer no. Unfortunately, your dumb poll answers don't allow me to vote.

Oh, also, Dota 2 is not in any way Pay to Win, and I thought that one up in about 10 seconds.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should've probably done a QL a long time ago, but the launch is a good reason to check it out.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Poll sucks, but yeah, I'd like a quick look or something/

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mbdoeden

A quick look is certainly worth their time at some point in the future but with all the console launch load coming up I wouldn't hold my breath. A review? Probably not.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should quick look it, it is cool and interesting, they should review it if one of them decides that a review is necessary

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thatdutchguy

WTF is Path of exile ?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 splodge  Online

They don't seem interested in it, so... no? There has also been several topics like this about POE, one seems to crop up every week or so.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Quick look, definitely. Review, no, they have a lot on their plate right now.

I know Jeff doesn't always see a lot of value in doing coverage for free to play games since you can try them out for free but I would definitely watch a quick look before downloading the game.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By schreiberty

@thatdutchguy: diablo 2

Also, I voted for both just because I could

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno... If they feel like it?

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Sure they could do, but I don't think I'll be watching or reading. They're not the best when it comes to covering the Action-RPG genre, they are complex beasts that even I have never really fully understood at the deepest level. I can just imagine Brad in the QL not understanding how any of it works, y'know, like a QL.

Besides, been playing since closed beta, made my mind up already!

@stete said:

Pretty easily actually.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    No Caption Provided

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Review? No. They didn't review Dota 2, League of Legends, and a meriod of other f2p games so they shouldn't do this one. A quicklook? Sure! That sounds like a good idea

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If they could fit this game into their schedule, that'd be great. Even if they did, don't expect it anytime soon (or probably at all, really). We have a glut of new games and new systems coming out soon that the Bomb Crew needs lots of time to prepare and energy to spare.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see a Quick Look. Don't really care if there is a review or not.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really pretty flabbergasted that they haven't done a QL of it it yet.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

They're still getting used to the new office, give it a few weeks guys.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I did a search on the forums to see if a similar post was already made. I couldn't find anything.

Yeah, forum search is a bit borked. Here you go, from 9 months ago.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stete said:

Quick look? Sure. Although it's not like people are on the fence about this, if they want to check it out they can just download the game. I havent played it since the beta but I did have fun with it and it was perhaps the only free to play game which didn't bukkaked you with in game app purchases.

Why would cost factor into a review?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

maybe, there's a lot of diablo clones out there.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe? I dunno.

I don't think it's a game that would quick look well though and I feel like if they quick looked it a lot of PoE fans would just end up getting pissed. The early stuff in the game is real boring and the combat is not near as good as something like Diablo 3.

Despite that I am playing the game right now as it's fun to at least play casually. I don't think it is a terribly difficult game like some make it out to be, but there is a definite learning curve with the skill tree if you don't want to just copy someone else's build.

PoE is a game with a bunch of great systems and a kind of meh engine and combat. At least that's how I feel about it.

Dahbadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dahbadu

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I could care less about a review. I'm more interested in a QL -- as I watch those and have a tendency not to read reviews. I think QLs are bigger draws, at least for people like me. I'd go back and edit my OP if I could (so the question is just for a QL, and not a review), but doesn't seem like there's an edit option...

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not. Giant Bomb is not exactly the best when it comes to covering more complex games. It would probably just piss of fans of the game.

tumtumtum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Shaunage

Review, no. Quick Look, certainly.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By kindgineer

You ask me a black and white question, but add to the "yes" that it's the 'best game in the world.' Either you worked on this game, or have some weird relationship with it. Path of Exile is a great game, but definitely not the best in the world.

Even though I didn't answer the poll, I would like them to do a quick look of it. A review? No. Those aren't really supported that much here, and I know that if they do it, they want to do it one games that get the most exposure. Heck, if Call of Duty: Ghosts didn't get one, I sincerely doubt Path of Exile will.

radecau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You ask me a black and white question, but add to the "yes" that it's the 'best game in the world.' Either you worked on this game, or have some weird relationship with it. Path of Exile is a great game, but definitely not the best in the world.

Even though I didn't answer the poll, I would like them to do a quick look of it. A review? No. Those aren't really supported that much here, and I know that if they do it, they want to do it one games that get the most exposure. Heck, if Call of Duty: Ghosts didn't get one, I sincerely doubt Path of Exile will.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/call-of-duty-ghosts-review/1900-603/

Not that I think they should review path of exile

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soulcake

This game deserves at least a quick look maybe a review but for a free to play game its a really a high quality game

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Dahbadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, my poll and original post weren't as well thought-out as they could've been. I seriously have no connection to the developer at all.

In terms of me saying it's the "best game ever," I didn't say that, and that's not the case. It's definitely not one of the best games ever. I do think, however, it's one of the most impressive games I've played in the last 10 years *made by a small indie studio.*

But people here have brought up some good points about a lot of PoE's depth could be missed by a QL, so maybe it's a bad idea. Last week the game was near the top of games played on Steam, so it's not like PoE needs much extra publicity, I guess.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The games combat is really boring for a ARPG.

Epicurwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadlydog: Once you play the game for a bit you get used to it. It has so much to offer in other aspects that you will play it anyway. At least that is what happened to me.

GB has done some bad quick looks, I think they need to spend 20+ hours on this game to give it a fair showing.

Cactusapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, just a straight "yes" or "no" answer is all that is necessary. Don't put words in our mouths; "most amazing indie games ever made" or "not interested", as if there's no middle ground.

I played it for a few hours, thought it was cool but haven't played or really thought about it since. Now that I'm asked, yeah I'd be interested to see a quicklook if they want to put one out, but I certainly don't think it's one of the "best indie games ever made". Melee combat felt a bit too clunky, as if the collision detection was a little off, and the mobs sometimes didn't feel like they reacted enough to getting hit. This probably comes from playing loads of Titan Quest way back in the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.