Should Giant Bomb do a review and QL of Path of Exile?

Posted by Dahbadu (4 posts) 10 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Should Giant Bomb do a review and QL of Path of Exile? (138 votes)

Yes. It's one of the most amazing indie games ever made. It should be recognized. 63%
No. I don't care about Path of Exile. 46%

I've been playing Path of Exile a lot recently. I am blown away by how awesome the game is on so many levels. I was surprised, when I did a search on Giant Bomb and couldn't find anything other than a wiki entry.

Here are some reasons why I think PoE is worth a review and/or QL:
- It's an incredible deep game. Probably the best ARPG since Diablo 2.
- The game has AAA production value. Great art assets, atmosphere, dialogue, and voice acting.
- It's the only free-to-play game that I know of that's truly not pay-to-win. The only thing you can buy that affects gameplay is additional stash space. If Giant Bomb has a policy against reviewing free-to-play games, I think PoE deserves an exception.

To warn anyone that's thinking of trying PoE out, the first Act on the first difficulty setting is a bit dry. However, if you stick through to Act 3, the game opens up and gets better and better.

I did a search on the forums to see if a similar post was already made. I couldn't find anything. If you're interested in seeing PoE reviewed, please vote and bump this thread. Thanks!

#1 Edited by Stete (739 posts) -

Review? No, its a free to play game, how the hell you review that?

Quick look? Sure. Although it's not like people are on the fence about this, if they want to check it out they can just download the game. I havent played it since the beta but I did have fun with it and it was perhaps the only free to play game which didn't bukkaked you with in game app purchases.

#2 Posted by evanbower (1213 posts) -

…. You worked on this game, didn't you?

#3 Posted by Dahbadu (4 posts) -

I'm not a developer nor do I know anyone on the dev team. I live in America, the dev team is in New Zealand. I'm just impressed by the game, is all. I'd just like to see such a great game and development team get props on a webiste I like (Giant Bomb Dot Com).

#4 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

They did one of diablo 3 and that game was shit. POE is as good as D2, if not better. But GB don't like to cover things, so probably not.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7724 posts) -

I think they should cover things that they're actually interested in covering.

#6 Edited by CaLe (3996 posts) -

I think Brad said on his stream that he would check it out, but whether that means it'll ever get coverage on the site or not... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I seriously doubt it'll ever be reviewed.

#7 Edited by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

I like the game (I bought my way into the closed beta summer 2012), but I still want to answer no. Unfortunately, your dumb poll answers don't allow me to vote.

Oh, also, Dota 2 is not in any way Pay to Win, and I thought that one up in about 10 seconds.

#8 Posted by Ares42 (2691 posts) -

They should've probably done a QL a long time ago, but the launch is a good reason to check it out.

#9 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3351 posts) -

Poll sucks, but yeah, I'd like a quick look or something/

#10 Edited by mbdoeden (184 posts) -

A quick look is certainly worth their time at some point in the future but with all the console launch load coming up I wouldn't hold my breath. A review? Probably not.

#11 Posted by Itwastuesday (967 posts) -

they should quick look it, it is cool and interesting, they should review it if one of them decides that a review is necessary

#12 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

WTF is Path of exile ?

#13 Posted by Splodge (1637 posts) -

They don't seem interested in it, so... no? There has also been several topics like this about POE, one seems to crop up every week or so.

#14 Posted by Fearbeard (831 posts) -

Quick look, definitely. Review, no, they have a lot on their plate right now.

I know Jeff doesn't always see a lot of value in doing coverage for free to play games since you can try them out for free but I would definitely watch a quick look before downloading the game.

#15 Edited by schreiberty (208 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: diablo 2

Also, I voted for both just because I could

#16 Posted by Sinusoidal (1544 posts) -

I dunno... If they feel like it?

#17 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

Sure they could do, but I don't think I'll be watching or reading. They're not the best when it comes to covering the Action-RPG genre, they are complex beasts that even I have never really fully understood at the deepest level. I can just imagine Brad in the QL not understanding how any of it works, y'know, like a QL.

Besides, been playing since closed beta, made my mind up already!

@stete said:

Pretty easily actually.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

#19 Posted by slyspider (1240 posts) -

Review? No. They didn't review Dota 2, League of Legends, and a meriod of other f2p games so they shouldn't do this one. A quicklook? Sure! That sounds like a good idea

#20 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

If they could fit this game into their schedule, that'd be great. Even if they did, don't expect it anytime soon (or probably at all, really). We have a glut of new games and new systems coming out soon that the Bomb Crew needs lots of time to prepare and energy to spare.

#21 Posted by Twisted (207 posts) -

I'd like to see a Quick Look. Don't really care if there is a review or not.

#22 Posted by Belegorm (414 posts) -

I'm really pretty flabbergasted that they haven't done a QL of it it yet.

#23 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

They're still getting used to the new office, give it a few weeks guys.

#24 Posted by audioBusting (1564 posts) -
I did a search on the forums to see if a similar post was already made. I couldn't find anything.

Yeah, forum search is a bit borked. Here you go, from 9 months ago.

#25 Posted by Hunkulese (2748 posts) -

@stete said:

Quick look? Sure. Although it's not like people are on the fence about this, if they want to check it out they can just download the game. I havent played it since the beta but I did have fun with it and it was perhaps the only free to play game which didn't bukkaked you with in game app purchases.

Why would cost factor into a review?

#26 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

maybe, there's a lot of diablo clones out there.

#27 Posted by Nadril (531 posts) -

Maybe? I dunno.

I don't think it's a game that would quick look well though and I feel like if they quick looked it a lot of PoE fans would just end up getting pissed. The early stuff in the game is real boring and the combat is not near as good as something like Diablo 3.

Despite that I am playing the game right now as it's fun to at least play casually. I don't think it is a terribly difficult game like some make it out to be, but there is a definite learning curve with the skill tree if you don't want to just copy someone else's build.

PoE is a game with a bunch of great systems and a kind of meh engine and combat. At least that's how I feel about it.

#28 Edited by Dahbadu (4 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I could care less about a review. I'm more interested in a QL -- as I watch those and have a tendency not to read reviews. I think QLs are bigger draws, at least for people like me. I'd go back and edit my OP if I could (so the question is just for a QL, and not a review), but doesn't seem like there's an edit option...

#29 Posted by gike987 (1758 posts) -

I hope not. Giant Bomb is not exactly the best when it comes to covering more complex games. It would probably just piss of fans of the game.

#30 Posted by tumtumtum (7 posts) -

#31 Edited by Shaunage (712 posts) -

Review, no. Quick Look, certainly.

#32 Edited by kindgineer (2738 posts) -

You ask me a black and white question, but add to the "yes" that it's the 'best game in the world.' Either you worked on this game, or have some weird relationship with it. Path of Exile is a great game, but definitely not the best in the world.

Even though I didn't answer the poll, I would like them to do a quick look of it. A review? No. Those aren't really supported that much here, and I know that if they do it, they want to do it one games that get the most exposure. Heck, if Call of Duty: Ghosts didn't get one, I sincerely doubt Path of Exile will.

#33 Posted by RadecAU (92 posts) -

You ask me a black and white question, but add to the "yes" that it's the 'best game in the world.' Either you worked on this game, or have some weird relationship with it. Path of Exile is a great game, but definitely not the best in the world.

Even though I didn't answer the poll, I would like them to do a quick look of it. A review? No. Those aren't really supported that much here, and I know that if they do it, they want to do it one games that get the most exposure. Heck, if Call of Duty: Ghosts didn't get one, I sincerely doubt Path of Exile will.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/call-of-duty-ghosts-review/1900-603/

Not that I think they should review path of exile

#34 Edited by soulcake (300 posts) -

This game deserves at least a quick look maybe a review but for a free to play game its a really a high quality game

#35 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

No.

#36 Posted by Dahbadu (4 posts) -

I agree, my poll and original post weren't as well thought-out as they could've been. I seriously have no connection to the developer at all.

In terms of me saying it's the "best game ever," I didn't say that, and that's not the case. It's definitely not one of the best games ever. I do think, however, it's one of the most impressive games I've played in the last 10 years *made by a small indie studio.*

But people here have brought up some good points about a lot of PoE's depth could be missed by a QL, so maybe it's a bad idea. Last week the game was near the top of games played on Steam, so it's not like PoE needs much extra publicity, I guess.

#37 Posted by Deadlydog (161 posts) -

The games combat is really boring for a ARPG.

#38 Posted by Epicurwin (8 posts) -

@deadlydog: Once you play the game for a bit you get used to it. It has so much to offer in other aspects that you will play it anyway. At least that is what happened to me.

GB has done some bad quick looks, I think they need to spend 20+ hours on this game to give it a fair showing.

#39 Posted by Cactusapple (67 posts) -

Man, just a straight "yes" or "no" answer is all that is necessary. Don't put words in our mouths; "most amazing indie games ever made" or "not interested", as if there's no middle ground.

I played it for a few hours, thought it was cool but haven't played or really thought about it since. Now that I'm asked, yeah I'd be interested to see a quicklook if they want to put one out, but I certainly don't think it's one of the "best indie games ever made". Melee combat felt a bit too clunky, as if the collision detection was a little off, and the mobs sometimes didn't feel like they reacted enough to getting hit. This probably comes from playing loads of Titan Quest way back in the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.