So this game is pretty good.

#1 Edited by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

I'll start by saying that I played Diablo 1 and 2 as some of my first dungeons crawlers and I played them for years and years and think they are some of the best games made to date. I was there for D3 day one, foaming at the mouth, maxing my level and playing non stop.

I didn't have a massive issue with D3 like many others did. I thought it was a great game, just with lack luster replayability. I still feel I got my moneys worth, but have no desire to go back to it.

I had heard of Path of Exile months ago, maybe even a year ago. I ignored it as it was still in closed beta and I tend to not care to play a game where my progress is going to get cleared. Not to mention I like being fresh in a game, learning along with the community and just being right out of the gate with everyone, it's a great feeling. I got an email a few days ago that the game was having an open beta and I figured I'd try it out. I didn't realize the game was free to play until this morning.

I logged in and was immediately reminded of Diablo 2, in the best ways possible. I'm only a few hours in, but after not having much interest in this game, I must say it's really made me change my tune.

They have made small changes but with smart twists, where D3 had you picking up globes to keep the action going, this game has your potions refills by killing monsters. It's the same idea but this way is slightly better as you tend to have more control over when you use the potion refill you've earned instead of the globes from D3 being used whether you needed the healing or not.

There aren't skills you learn through a skill tree, it's all done through gems you can socket into items with color-coded slots. The gems level up, making those skills better as they go. You can also unsocket gems from items at any time and put them into another socket with no penalty. It's great and really encourages different combinations.

The skill tree is immense to say the least. It seems to be filled with nothing but passive skills and it spiderwebs out to a massive degree, it's a lot to take in at first, but you start to see the idea behind it and it's smartly made.

Lastly, the feel of the game. It seems to have D2s heart mixed with todays graphics. Going into a cave is appropriately dark and everything looks to be made with care.

In one of the first areas I came across I didn't realize the game had a map so I just ran around lost in this swampish area not exactly knowing what to do, but having fun anyway. I ended up coming across a quest which I figured out on my own without any quest giver or dialog telling me exactly what to do. I was just exploring, on my own, having a blast. It did turn out later that there is a quest giver and he does tell you what to do, but none of that was in your face or needed. The area wasn't locked just because I needed to go talk to some generic NPC, it felt good to go back to town and already have done it all on my own. It's something you don't get much (if at all) in games today, and if you do it's just you being lost and getting frustrated. The areas in the game aren't big enough to be lost for hours, but they're also not small enough to feel cramped or linear.

Also, because it is a F2P game there are things you can buy for real money. I checked out all of the items they have, it's completely trivial stuff with no affect on the game. It looks to be all cosmetic.

So that's my story, it's a cool game, you should try it.

#2 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

Diablo 3 is a better action game.

Path of Exile is a better RPG.

Take that for what you will, but I think that summarizes the comparison quite simply. Hopefully the game will come to stand on its own without those Diablo 3 comparisons left-right and center.

#3 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@project343: Well it's directly influenced by Diablo 2, like... a lot, as in some parts are mirror images of D2 right down to the symbols.

I hope this games goes far though, it seems to be made with genuine appreciation for the genre.

#4 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

I really, really like this game. Dabbled with it in closed Beta and playing it "serious" now since progress will be saved.

I really like the way the potions work. They are indeed persistent flasks, you can have 5 of them and they refill. There are different types of potions like the obligatory health and mana, but there are also other types. What is cool is these flasks are items and can have different extra magical properties like the rest of the loot in the game.

The way F2P is done seems really awesome, I haven't felt the need to pay any money yet it's all cosmetic or convenience type stuff. I am sure I will spend some just to support the devs.

One knock is that the artstyle is mostly good to decent, but there is some really crappy looking environments in this game. Also, the characters themselves don't look great, and the armor/weapons on them so far neither. It seems like it's made to look worn down and patched on purpose, so maybe all that stuff gets to look more powerful/awesome in later acts.

I would advice anyone that likes Action RPG's to at least give it try, if only for the quite original systems they have in place for the way skills and potions work.

#5 Posted by Aete (29 posts) -

I kind of like the way the armor/weapons look to be honest. It's a welcome change form the usual shiny, mighty armor other games use.

Just played through act 1 and 2 along with a mate of mine, him playing as a templar, me as a witch. And I had a lot of fun. Not sure if it'll last for months but for now I'm really enjoying this game.

#6 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@Aete said:

I kind of like the way the armor/weapons look to be honest. It's a welcome change form the usual shiny, mighty armor other games use.

Giant, over-designed shoulder pads, cloaks, and helms? That World of Warcraft armor aesthetic is really starting to get exhausting in modern games. XD

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Aete said:

Giant, over-designed shoulder pads, cloaks, and helms? That World of Warcraft armor aesthetic is really starting to get exhausting in modern games. XD

But how will people know I'm cool without giant pauldrons?

#8 Posted by Giantstalker (1533 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@project343 said:

@Aete said:

But how will people know I'm cool without giant pauldrons?

Probably all the glowing shit everywhere, a ridiculous title that doesn't actually mean anything, oh and fact you ride around on the back of a giant cat

Back on topic, I will definitely check this out when I have the time. I didn't dislike Diablo III but it definitely wore out faster than I expected. . .

#9 Edited by Karkarov (3000 posts) -

@project343 said:

Diablo 3 is a better action game.

Path of Exile is a better RPG.

Take that for what you will, but I think that summarizes the comparison quite simply. Hopefully the game will come to stand on its own without those Diablo 3 comparisons left-right and center.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Put in about 5 hours over the last two days and I will say this game is really cool in that it lets you make EXACTLY the character you want and has insane options. But it's actual gameplay is not rocking any boats at all.

EDIT: Have I mentioned I hate auto spelling correct programs lately?

#10 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

YES! This game is great. I'm really impressed and while I don't think I'll play it for weeks and weeks (dungeon crawler RPGs aren't really my thing) I'm really enjoying it for now. The "ethical micro-transactions" seem really cool because they are more aesthetic items and things that don't really break the game. You can't buy your way to more xp, better character, etc. It just makes it feel like you aren't missing out on anything by playing for free. Although, I do want to buy something and support these devs in this great project.

Also - I'm really impressed with the lack of issues (for a beta). It runs great and hasn't crashed on me once. I get in and out of the game super quickly every time. All in all, a very impressive F2P game.

#11 Posted by Aete (29 posts) -

There were a few server crashes yesterday but they were all fixed within a few minutes.

#12 Edited by Sanity (1892 posts) -

I played it in closed beta about a year ago, i enjoyed it but i hated the huge branching tree as i just felt overwhelmed trying to play anything.

#13 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

This game has the Final Fantasy 10 Sphere Grid but on crack. Its awesome. Actually playing it is less awesome but Diablo 2 was pretty great, so if you liked that you will like this I'm pretty sure.

#14 Posted by armedpatriots (22 posts) -

Yeah, it also has a bit of Final Fantasy VII Materia system thrown in. It is awesome!

#15 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

Asides from the Random disconnects im having a ton of fun with it, while i feel that Diablos 3 controlled better and felt much more responsive overall Path of Exile is no slouch and the shear amount of character customization combined with the way the economy works is really refreshing, no more gold everything works on a trade system and all the armor looks suitably scavenged, amazing.

#16 Posted by Bouke (1401 posts) -

Have been playing this for about a week, pretty awesome game if you ask me. Went full Necromancer and even though some boss fight are nearly impossible solo, with friends and added aura's / curses it works really well!

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (8027 posts) -

I've put in about 12 hours and I have to say, I really loathe this game. It seems like the developers are trying to fly in the face of all the advances in design over the past 13 years. In 2000 it would have been a slightly better Diablo 2. In 2013 it's an actively hostile user experience borne out of a misguided grab at nostalgia.

Just thinking about it is making me a little bit mad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.