About Patrick Klepek

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

Hey Guys,

First of all, don't let this derive into pointless hate or a thread that gets closed in like 5 seconds. I just wanted to point out that I think Patrick Klepek writes EXCELLENT articles (imagine the reaction when he first showed up) but is kinda boring to listen to when he does videos (for my personal taste). Which is completely fine. He is just a more informative type and not everyone can be Vinny ;). That being said, I wish GB would divide work along the line of MY perceived strengths of the staff (meaning: let him write more and talk less ;). Probably they do take into account the opinion of the community though. So what do you guys think? Anyone on the same page?

#2 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

This is going to turn out well.

#3 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

@joshthebear: LOL. Have some faith in humanity :D.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

@ectoplasma: Faith in humanity is different than faith in the internet.

#5 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Nope, I think he is fine. He might not be the most entertaining member of the crew, then again the crew doesn't need to consist solely of clowns. Same deal with Brad. He's not the goffy "Wahu, look at me" type, still I find him highly entertaining. If you think he is boring, don't watch his videos, problem solved.

#6 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

@Abendlaender: Well see, I'm not presuming to change the internet after my opinion. The tone of my post should have made that clear. But I'd like to find out if other people perceive it the same way. Imagine it would be like that, then we can change the internet together! ;) Also I'm already adjusting my viewing time of QL by my viewing pleasure had when watching the QL as well as my opportunity costs, so, I mean, how else would I decide if I watch a QL ^^?

#7 Posted by Village_Guy (2596 posts) -

I like him, he writes good articles and can be funny at times. Sometimes I think he takes up a bit too much real estate on the Bombcast, but I think his videos are generally good.

#8 Posted by TopSteer (658 posts) -

I feel pretty much the opposite. I don't normally read past the headlines but I enjoy his personality in videos and on the Bombcast. Personally I think Patrick Klepek is the best thing to happen to Giant Bomb in a long time.

#9 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1018 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

If you think he is boring, don't watch his videos, problem solved.

Problem is that he is in many of the videos. More quantity than quality issue.

#10 Posted by RazielCuts (2958 posts) -

@ectoplasma said:

I wish GB would divide work along the line of MY perceived strengths of the staff

Invalidation thy name is ectoplasma.

#11 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
@ectoplasma

Faith in humanity, yes. Faith in threads about Patrick, no.

On topic though, Scoops is terrific. His articles are great and he brings a different view than most other bombers.
#12 Posted by impartialgecko (1530 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

@ectoplasma

Faith in humanity, yes. Faith in threads about Patrick, no. On topic though, Scoops is terrific. His articles are great and he brings a different view than most other bombers.

I like Steve Gaynor too.

#13 Posted by mikey87144 (1781 posts) -

Guys, you realize that he came from a primarily write only job before and sporadically appeared on numerous podcasts before that. He'll get better. He's gotten better. He was a part of some of the best TNTs, podcasts, and quicklooks both last year and this year.

#14 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2011 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

On topic though, Scoops is terrific. His articles are great and he brings a different view than most other bombers.

Yeah, what this duder said. Patrick is quality Bomber material, and he gives a voice for schlocky horror movies every once and a while so I'm sort of biased. I'll keep saying it until I turn blue, but Patrick provides something the others don't while still being funny.

Don't see what the problem is. It's confusing that people want Giant Bomb to be some comedy club or something, the way I see it is we get quality game coverage with a benefit of weird shit like Sleeping Dogs DLC/Law of the West QL's.

#15 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@ectoplasma said:

I wish GB would divide work along the line of MY perceived strengths of the staff

Invalidation thy name is ectoplasma.

Yeah, you lost me here OP.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1044 posts) -

I like him just fine 

#17 Posted by MEATBALL (3262 posts) -

I've long been a fan of Patrick's work, he was one of the few people who made G4's website worth visiting back when he wrote there. He's a great part of the Giant Bomb team, but probably the weakest link if we're talking entertainment value, dude has his moments, though.

#18 Posted by Carryboy (685 posts) -

what is the point of this

#19 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Hey people, this is my PSA for the day.

STOP MAKING THESE FUCKING THREADS

#20 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

I don't give a fuck about anyone on Giantbomb apart from Vinny.

#21 Posted by TobbRobb (4663 posts) -

Jeeeeesus christ. We don't need threads to either praise or piss on the guy. He is here to stay no matter what. The vocal minority will always hang out with their hateful words and irrational rage, do we lock their shit. He's a grown man, he knows most people aren't jackasses. Threads like these serve just as much of a purpose as the hate threads do.

#22 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@ectoplasma said:

That being said, I wish GB would divide work along the line of MY perceived strengths of the staff

Well I guess you are going to need to get Jeff's job somehow. Good luck with that.

Also, Patrick is great. I love his writing, I enjoy hearing him on the podcast, I like his QLs, Spookin' with Scoops, when he's on TNT, etc. Your milage may vary.

#23 Posted by Fattony12000 (7453 posts) -

HE NEEDS TO GET ME MORE HOT SCOOPS!

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

I don't dislike Patrick, though there are specific elements of his personality that have worn down my patience as a viewer. At the same time, I think he is a good (and hard working, almost more importantly) writer. If I was going to criticize the writing it's that it's way too prone to navel gazing. A lot of the personality frustrations I think will be worn down with a bit of age. It would be hard to think of a 32 year old man being as concerned about their indie credibility as Scoops. You slowly stop wanting to fight The Man when you realize you need The Man to help you feed The Kid.

It's funny that the guys I like most I think are the worst at their jobs, and vice versa. I love Jeff, I love Vinny, but ... Jeff is full of really impenetrable biases and is a so-so writer on a purely literary level, and Vinny... Putting an intro bumper on uncut video and audio is not the Herculean task that they play it up as. But I love those guys as people, I think they're hysterical. Meanwhile I find Alex to be completely abrasive in person, but the guy's writing is on a different level than anyone on the site. I would read a book written by Alex, but I wouldn't want to watch a video of him eating at the Gourmet Gardens.

#25 Posted by Kidavenger (3567 posts) -

@Azteck said:

I don't know why the moderators let these sit around and fester, these threads are clearly against the rules:

2. NO victimization of others or use of discriminatory language: Includes but not limited to hateful personal attacks against other users, sexism, or any racist or homophobic slurs or statements. Similarly, you may not release the personal information of another user without their consent.

Calling the talent boring does nothing but make you look like an asshole, I'm sure the guys welcome constructive criticism but "dude is boring" doesn't cut it and constantly posting it on the forums doesn't do anyone any good, send them an email if you feel strongly about it.

#26 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -

There is no reason for this thread to exist.

#27 Posted by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -

I enjoy his insight.

#28 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

he's fine quit whining, he adds balance. he's the only true reporter type on the site and it could be argued that it is needed. jokes, jokes, jokes, reality, jokes, jokes, jokes, can't be all goof ball shit.

#29 Edited by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

Patrick is great and should continue to be in videos. Furthermore, GB shouldn't alter anything based on what a few people think.

Your opinion is received, respected and rejected.

#30 Posted by Stete (738 posts) -

Just imagine what kind of crazy superpowers would you get if you eat just one lock of Patrick's hair.

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

Patrick is great. He occasionally talks over people on the podcast but even that has gotten better. Also threads like this usually just end up being a huge bummer.

#32 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Boo hoo they're criticizing my internet buddies.

#33 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Stete said:

Just imagine what kind of crazy superpowers would you get if you eat just one lock of Patrick's hair.

If it's pubic hair, then you become an awesome cook.
#34 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Patrick is great. He occasionally talks over people on the podcast but even that has gotten better. Also threads like this usually just end up being a huge bummer.

Patrick has improved vastly on the Bombcast and become a pretty great part of it. He's taken the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to heart in my opinion.

#35 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5018 posts) -

As a professional person reviewer, I give Patrick:

I'm not going batshit crazy over him like others here do, but I don't hate him with a passion either.

He's okay.

#36 Posted by Stete (738 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@Stete said:

If it's pubic hair, then you become an awesome cook.

Intriguing, I have not even thought about this possibility!

#37 Posted by MrSpaceMan (118 posts) -

He just comes off as a snob a lot of the times. And anytime he says, "Who does X", it drives me insane. He just seems kinda out of touch sometimes.

#38 Posted by LikeaSsur (1537 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

There is no reason for this thread to exist.

Says you, I'm increasing my post count over here.

#39 Posted by johncallahan (570 posts) -

Nope I think he's fine. He fits in with the rest of the Bombcrew better than I had initially expected. Honestly, threads like this pop up way to often, whatever your opinions are that's fine. These threads need to stop though, they're all saying nearly the exact same thing.

#40 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

The only thing I have to say about it is: I didn't notice how often he says "ostensibly" until the Patrick Hate Force brought it up, and now I notice EVERY TIME.

Also: Patrick's fine. He's not going anywhere, can we let it go and accept that he's just as much a staff member as the others? Did people obsess like this when Brad and Vinny joined?

#41 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

I'm amused by the expert reading comprehension displayed by some users :D.

If this is like a repeat thread, I was a bit afraid about that, I'm sorry. I just checked the Patrick Klepek and the General Discussion Forum 1st page before posting.

Thanks to everyone chiming in with their opinions!

#42 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -
@ShaggE

The only thing I have to say about it is: I didn't notice how often he says "ostensibly" until the Patrick Hate Force brought it up, and now I notice EVERY TIME.

Also: Patrick's fine. He's not going anywhere, can we let it go and accept that he's just as much a staff member as the others? Did people obsess like this when Brad and Vinny joined?

No, we obsessed over how Ryan totally hates Brad.
#43 Posted by PhilESkyline (778 posts) -

I don't put too much energy into telling a website how they should run things. It's their game world we just live in it. If you don't enjoy the content you're free to look elsewhere.

#44 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Klepek is the shit. He's set to take over Brad's spot when he leaves.

#45 Posted by spankingaddict (2677 posts) -

I feel when Patrick is on a video or live stream , I always learn a lot more about stuff thanks to his great video game knowledge . Though I love Brad , Ryan , and Vinny , there just there to be dumb and funny which is more awesome to a lot of people . DONT GE ME WRONG , I love the crazy,dumb stuff GB does . LOVE IT ! I just think Patrick and Jeff do a great job talking sense about the game there playing . The others(mainly RYAN) also try this , but aren't as convincing ... IMO

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@ShaggE

No, we obsessed over how Ryan totally hates Brad.

Oh yeah! Great stuff.

#47 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@ectoplasma said:

I'm amused by the expert reading comprehension displayed by some users :D.

If this is like a repeat thread, I was a bit afraid about that, I'm sorry. I just checked the Patrick Klepek and the General Discussion Forum 1st page before posting.

Thanks to everyone chiming in with their opinions!

what was you expecting though. a post from jeff to ask you to outline what changes you feel he should make to his site. how he should best use his resourses.

did you expect patrick himself to post and ask you how you think he could best fit into the workflow of the GB website or maybe ask for tips on how to better do his job.

what did you expect from you thread?

#48 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Azteck said:

Hey people, this is my PSA for the day.

This 10x this.

#49 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Whats with all these weird personal threads about the staff lately. Its like girls arguing over who is their favourite member of Backstreet Boys

#50 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Whats with all these weird personal threads about the staff lately. Its like kids arguing over who is their favourite member of Backstreet Boys

Mine's AJ.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.