Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Patrick Klepek

Person » credited in 3 games

Senior reporter at Waypoint, former senior reporter at Kotaku and former news editor at Giant Bomb. He began a career in gaming journalism at fourteen, and once served as a news editor for G4TV. He has been credited in the "special thanks" sections of Guitar Hero II and The Silver Lining.

Guys, The Onion wrote a piece about Patrick

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By zeforgotten

@zeforgotten said:

@bisonhero said:

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.

He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

But it's all fun and games.

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.

Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

No one said it couldn't be both. :P

It's Ryan, of course it's not both :P

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@bisonhero said:

@zeforgotten said:

@bisonhero said:

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.

He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

But it's all fun and games.

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.

Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

No one said it couldn't be both. :P

It's Ryan, of course it's not both :P

I still can't tell if you saying "[Ryan] just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets" was you sarcastically implying that he does it for fun and I'm way overthinking, or it was you sarcastically pointing out that that his mispronunciations don't get even a chuckle from the GB crew or any special guests which makes my theory slightly plausible because why else would he keep up this bit.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

In this thread, no one gets anyone's jokes.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, my hair is similar to Patrick's but thicker and I never managed to let it grow that long like it is in his ID picture, that thing looks glorious.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By wjb

@zeforgotten: @bisonhero: Not to jump in and over-analyze as well, but whatever, I'm bored. I think Ryan mispronouncing words is entirely on purpose. Now the opposite might be true sometimes -- I cannot recall -- but surely he knows how to say "sword" correctly. It's like when Diablo III came out last year, and as a joke, he kept on saying it wrong on purpose but then said it so much he accidentally could not say it correctly. He's talking amongst friends and the atmosphere is casual.

That being said, I do think Ryan acts like he knows more than he does. Patrick always gets shit for it, but I always thought Ryan was worse. And he got on some game's case for using "all right" instead of "alright" in its subtitles even though "all right" is the proper spelling, SO HE CAN GO TO HELL!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i;'m calling laser hat on this one.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#58  Edited By Nezza

Damn, my hair is similar to Patrick's but thicker and I never managed to let it grow that long like it is in his ID picture, that thing looks glorious.

I for one just hope and pray that somewhere out there is video of Patrick headbanging to Bohemian Rhapsody. If there isn't then it was a terrible waste of a perfectly good Brian May style afro.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've never heard Patrick say "libations." Actually, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By leinad44

I am also curious as to what the definition of hipster is. The word seems to be used very broadly in recently.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a very weak attempt. Please try again.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hipster wasn't carrying around vodka, strangely
    Hipster wasn't carrying around vodka, strangely

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*makes wanking motion and blows a raspberry*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.