I Think Patrick Is Pretty Awesome.

• 142 results
#1 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

And I don't care who knows it. It's totally cool if you don't care for him, but what we've seen from recent threads (more than ever it seems) is good o'l fashion bullying. Or in more modern terms, being an asshole because you gain pleasure from being an asshole. Not all Patrick comments are bullying, but you know what I'm talking about. They need to stop, regardless of your opinion of him. I'm not saying disliking Patrick is wrong, and I'm not saying it is wrong to express it (though it has become exhausting after nearly 2 years), but there is no place for hateful comments. That's just being an asshole, no matter how you spin it.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into an argument. That's not what I'm looking for. This isn't about Pro vs. Anti Patrick, this is about being a decent human being. Don't be a, in the words of Jeff Gerstmann, a "subhuman piece of shit". (referring to Yelp reviewers.)

#2 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I think Patrick is pretty awesome too! I always have, even before he joined Giant Bomb.

He just needs to cool it with pushing his political agenda.

#3 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I think he's just alright sometimes. Also your thread isn't going to do much good I'm afraid

#4 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

I think he's just alright sometimes. Also your thread isn't going to do much good I'm afraid

Unfortunately :(

#5 Posted by TheStandardToaster (128 posts) -

I like him. He seems to bring in some sanity when Ryan, Jeff and Vinny are doing crazy shit. He also writes great articles and really analyzes a game to its core.

#6 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Patrick is great.

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

I think Patrick is pretty awesome too! I always have, even before he joined Giant Bomb.

First response nails it.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I like him a lot, although I do get tired of him being in every QL, mainly because I also like the interactions of the other dudes.

But the hate for him has gone completely over-board, like original DMC crazy angry fanboy over-board. I'm sick of garbage comments on videos where he's perfectly fucking fine. He doesn't do anything out of line whatsoever, and there are piles of shitty nonsensical comments.

It is actually true that once a person forms a strong opinion, especially around a strong emotion, that they will actually perceive a situation outside of reality, colored completely by their own bias.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

I'm not a Patrick fan but the Swery interview comments were pretty ridiculous. Patrick did a fine job with the interview but judging by the comments you would think he spit on Swery or something. My only complaint about the video was it only being 6 minutes.

#10 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

He has a lot of dedication to the job and I admire him for it.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

That's neat, I guess.

I think Alex is pretty awesome.

#12 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

@Subjugation: The crazy thing is that the agenda he's pushing is one that I largely agree with and support.

Patrick, if you happen to read this, take note that when you're annoying people who agree with what you're saying you should maybe rethink how and where you're saying it.

#13 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

Patrick's an alright dude, it just kind of seems like he's ubiquitous on the site. Kinda to a higher degree than the others, at least in my opinion.

I don't mind Patrick but the fact that I've started to expect Quick Looks to have him more often than not is sorta telling.

#14 Edited by Branthog (5562 posts) -

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Jeff Gerstmans or six Ryan Davis' or six Brad Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people. It's fine to argue points with him or about his content, but it's pretty shitty to be antagonistic toward him. If you really can't stand him for some reason, there's still five other dudes making a lot of content that you can enjoy without being unfairly mean to one. For any criticisms I've voiced about a significant part of his content, I wouldn't wish him away from the site for a moment.

#15 Edited by punkxblaze (2974 posts) -

@Branthog said:

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Jeff Gerstmans or six Ryan Davis' or six Brad Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people.

You're telling me you wouldn't enjoy six Vinnies?

I enjoy Patrick when he does his top notch work; such as when he broke the Infinity Ward story way back when, and the post mortem articles he did on Walking Dead. In those times, he's one of the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned, just from a journalism perspective.

However, yeah, there is a thin line to walk in journalism between subjective and objective, and occasionally I feel he crosses that line, like with the OneReasonWhy and Dead Island pieces.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

Great!

#17 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Don't know why people feel the need to defend him.

About as baffling as the people that attack him.

#18 Posted by leftzero101 (86 posts) -

@Branthog: What about six Vinnys though?

#19 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

He's OK. Everybody has their own ups and downs. Nobody is perfect.

#20 Posted by leftzero101 (86 posts) -

@punkxblaze: 6 Vinnies would be AMAZING

#21 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@leftzero101 said:

@Branthog: What about six Vinnys though?

That would destroy the time/space continuum.

#22 Posted by MEATBALL (3202 posts) -

Patrick's totally cool, I've liked him since before he joined Giant Bomb, so I was rapt when he was brought in as News Editor and he has done an excellent job since. That said, there are totally times when opinions of his/how he might present them annoy me, but this also happens with basically the rest of the staff (sans Vinny :P ).

#23 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

His taste in horror is questionable. He should be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

#24 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I don't see how women's rights are political and not humanitarian. And those were 3 articles out of how many?! I'm a fan of Patrick. Not in his trolling ways but other than that yeah. He likes weird games. I can get behind that.

#25 Edited by Jace (1092 posts) -

@CptMorganCA said:

And I don't care who knows it. It's totally cool if you don't care for him, but what we've seen from recent threads (more than ever it seems) is good o'l fashion bullying. Or in more modern terms, being an asshole because you gain pleasure from being an asshole. Not all Patrick comments are bullying, but you know what I'm talking about. They need to stop, regardless of your opinion of him. I'm not saying disliking Patrick is wrong, and I'm not saying it is wrong to express it (though it has become exhausting after nearly 2 years), but there is no place for hateful comments. That's just being an asshole, no matter how you spin it.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into an argument. That's not what I'm looking for. This isn't about Pro vs. Anti Patrick, this is about being a decent human being. Don't be a, in the words of Jeff Gerstmann, a "subhuman piece of shit". (referring to Yelp reviewers.)

I liked Patrick a lot when he first came on. I thought he was weird, but he was different. And to me, I thought he added something unique to the crew.

But I feel like I know Patrick more now through his articles, and man, where do I start?

Opinions aside, he has blatant inconsistencies and contradictions in his crusade for women that are so logically lacking that he's just spewing out emotion onto GB's homepage when it's convenient.

I thought Patrick was more intelligent than he is.

#26 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

I like Patrick a lot, I like his opinions on stuff and he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

The end.

#27 Posted by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

I really just wish he would calm it down a bit when expressing his opinions about things...he has a tendency to raise his voice and deliver each thought as if it were profound or extremely important. This leads me to greatly prefer his writing to his on screen / podcast presence, as it can really get quite annoying. There are are a host of other things that degrade his ability as an entertainer for me, but people do tend to go wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overboard when attacking him.

#28 Posted by doe3879 (793 posts) -

he is pretty awesome indeed, liked him from the old 1up days. He's great in the bombcast.

Just that he should really change how he explain things and the way he ask question in Quick Looks. Currently they way he's doing is maybe informative, but extremely boring from the viewers' perspective and make me fall at sleep most of the time.

#29 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Making these kinds of threads gives legitimacy to the obnoxious minority.

#30 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

#31 Posted by Giantstalker (1638 posts) -

#32 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Making these kinds of threads gives legitimacy to the obnoxious minority.

After 2 years, I've ceased to care. Ignoring it isn't working.

#33 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

I would defend any member of the Bomb Squad who was consistently bashed with hateful comments. And provided I got to know you, I would defend you as well!

#34 Edited by ExiledVip3r (84 posts) -

Patrick fits in perfectly well with the site and I have no problems with him being here. He integrates well with the podcast and can play off of all the other staff. My only complaint is pretty minor; he has the tendency to over-explain things, which is fine in some cases, boring in others. That one minor thing is certainly a far cry from making me want to jump in the comments and scream my hatred for all things Patrick, which is frankly just embarrassing as a community.

Ignoring the haters just makes it seem like there are only haters, when that simply isn't the case. They'll never shut up about it until they get their way.

If people don't like him, fine, that's their opinion and they're free to express it. It's the fact that they choose to express it in the most childish manners possible that threads like this keep popping up.

#35 Posted by punkxblaze (2974 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

His taste in horror is questionable. He should be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

TAKE HIM TO THE MURDER SLINGSHOT.

#36 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Patrick still needs to win over the GB fans by showing his dedication to the site. Maybe if he does a 48 hour gaming marathon, or trains hard enough to beat a pro at an e-sport game, or plays games with terminally-ill children on the weekends. Really, anything you could film with the Rocky theme song would do. Eye of the Tiger would also work.

#37 Posted by Coafi (1484 posts) -

Do we really need threads like this every month? I get what you are trying to do, but it's pretty pointless to make threads like this when everybody feels the need to shout how the feel about the staff in every video/ article or whatever.

#38 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1574 posts) -

@Branthog said:

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Jeff Gerstmans or six Ryan Davis' or six Brad Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people. It's fine to argue points with him or about his content, but it's pretty shitty to be antagonistic toward him. If you really can't stand him for some reason, there's still five other dudes making a lot of content that you can enjoy without being unfairly mean to one. For any criticisms I've voiced about a significant part of his content, I wouldn't wish him away from the site for a moment.

Pretty much my opinion. I’m not going to stop pointing out when being he’s being arrogantly dismissive or publishing badly-proofread pieces, but it’s not a personal thing, and I wouldn’t bother if I didn’t think he was capable of taking feedback and improving. If you think constantly antagonizing him is going to make him go away, you’re nuts and/or kind of a dick.

Even as a guy who’s not a fan, reading the rote “ugh, Patrick sucks” comments (often posted before it’s possible to have even seen/read the content in question) pisses me off. At least have the decency to give actionable feedback.

#39 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@Coafi said:

Do we really need threads like this every month? I get what you are trying to do, but it's pretty pointless to make threads like this when everybody feels the need to shout how the feel about the staff in every video/ article or whatever.

You're right, I should start posting this thread every week!

#40 Posted by MEATBALL (3202 posts) -

Lest we forget. Patrick helped give us this:

#41 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

I think Patrick is good at what he does. But sometimes his smugness is off the charts.

#42 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

So is it like once a month or every couple months that we have this cycle of "I hate Patrick" threads followed by threads in support of the contrary?

#43 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

So is it like once a month or every couple months that we have this cycle of "I hate Patrick" threads followed by threads in support of the contrary?

To be fair, it seems like a neck-and-neck race between the number of "blah blah Patrick blah blah" posts from the community and "Sexism in video games, guys!" articles from Patrick (not meaning to pick on Patrick about that as it's not as if every other game journalist doesn't beat the same dead horse to a pulp every week, too).

As I mentioned in an above post, it's fair enough for people to have some criticism of his content or even his approach to some things, but sometimes it comes across as just a bunch of fifth-grade children that have no idea why they so viscerally hate the kid with the big poofy curly hair other than he's different, because he has big poofy curly hair and we have to kill him with fire for not being exactly like the rest of us in Mrs. Garbenfackers fifth grade class!

I'm not a fan of censorship (yeah, yeah, -- private business can't "censor"), but I do think that comments which consist of nothing more than one or two sentences that attack Patrick and the other content-creating duders in a non-constructive and non-joking way should probably be treated as spam and flagged/deleted as such. There's a lot of crap in a forum so massive as GB, but that doesn't mean it needs to be dripping in such constant vitriol with no purpose other than making someone feel bad for doing their job.

#44 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Ugh, I don't know what to think anymore...

#45 Posted by Grillbar (1818 posts) -

@TheStandardToaster said:

I like him. He seems to bring in some sanity when Ryan, Jeff and Vinny are doing crazy shit. He also writes great articles and really analyzes a game to its core.

i totally agree, i only have a few gripes with him.

sometimes on QL when they ask him something and he does not know he just answers stuff as fact even though its completely wrong and sometimes you can see the opposite of what he answered a few sec later in the game and then he either glance over it or backtrack instead of just saying that he has no idea.

and sometimes on the bombcast he can sometimes get a little riled up when everyone is doing jokes or go crazy and try to be as funny where where it feels forced.

having said that it is fairly rare and only bothers me a bit. now compared to all the good things he does its barely worth mentioning.

like you said he writing is great. i love worth reading.

@laserbolts said:

I'm not a Patrick fan but the Swery interview comments were pretty ridiculous. Patrick did a fine job with the interview but judging by the comments you would think he spit on Swery or something. My only complaint about the video was it only being 6 minutes.

at least its not like the vid with nolan north.

@OmegaChosen said:

Patrick's an alright dude, it just kind of seems like he's ubiquitous on the site. Kinda to a higher degree than the others, at least in my opinion.

could that have something to do with the fact that he is the "new guy" that you are used to everyone else doing what they did and then he joined?

or did i misunderstand something

@Simplexity said:

its karmic balance every time someone starts hating someone has to defend him. he properly dont care. but i think it has something to do with the fact that every time you see threads or comment that rank on him some people get there feelings hurt on his behalf

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11648 posts) -

I look forward to the day when Patrick is no longer the subject of intense dislike from a vocal minority of the community. I disagree with him on quite a bit of stuff, but he's also far more willing to play games that are outside of his tastes, which is refreshing in comparison to the occasional closemindedness of the rest of the GB crew.

#47 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

I really just wish he would calm it down a bit when expressing his opinions about things...he has a tendency to raise his voice and deliver each thought as if it were profound or extremely important. This leads me to greatly prefer his writing to his on screen / podcast presence, as it can really get quite annoying. There are are a host of other things that degrade his ability as an entertainer for me, but people do tend to go wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overboard when attacking him.

This sums up my view pretty well,

I have nothing against him, For the most part I like what he does and I think he does it well, He just needs to learn when to either tone it down or just not say anything at all. Right now with the mass hate going on against him would be a good time to give that a try.

#48 Posted by Christoffer (1802 posts) -

I agree. The hateful comments have become immensely exhausting. Not only because I like Patrik but also because all those comments are completely beside the point of the article/video. You want to see what people have to say about the subject, but instead it's a parade of children attempting to change the site to their liking with bullying. If you want to change something, at least go through the proper channels and talk to the people who can make a difference, don't clog the comment sections.

And when the proper channels say "Thanks for your input, but we don't agree with you" move on, like any other adult person would.

#49 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

I think Patrick is Okay.

Although he often comes across as Not Very Smart and when he is in Too Many Videos this becomes Irritating.

But in general, Okay.

#50 Posted by RainbowCarnage (97 posts) -

@Miketakon said:

I think Patrick is good at what he does. But sometimes his smugness is off the charts.

.....If by smugness you mean sexyness

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.