I Think Patrick Is Pretty Awesome.

• 142 results
#51 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Branthog: It's just that these very exact threads have showed up constantly in the past followed shortly by the white knights, I feel like I'm watching a soap opera.

#52 Posted by tread311 (354 posts) -

They just need to add a new guy so everyone can hate him for a while. Patrick seems to be the cause of the coverage of a lot of the smaller and weirder games. I enjoy that.

#53 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

I thought we all hated Brad?

#54 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

He's a little preachy about how we all need to change gaming culture. That's obviously going to rub some people the wrong way.

I don't like him or dislike him. He's like Corn Flakes to me.

#55 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@GenghisJohn: Not since he announced he was leaving.

#56 Posted by wewantsthering (1552 posts) -

Patrick is awesome!

When gaming and politics cross paths (like it has a lot lately), it's unethical to ignore it as a journalist.

#57 Posted by Milkman (16535 posts) -

The people who think he's pushing his "political agenda" (or that he has one at all) are the really hilarious ones. As if "don't be awful to women" is some sort of political statement.

#58 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

I thought he was awesome for about 5 years now .

#59 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

He's a little preachy about how we all need to change gaming culture. That's obviously going to rub some people the wrong way.

I don't like him or dislike him. He's like Corn Flakes to me.

We totally need to change gaming culture because in a lot of ways it is totally fucked up. But I actually tend to quite dislike the way he approaches that stuff. He comes across as very disingenuous to me. I feel like he's doing it to earn Social Justice Points rather than because fucked up bad shit is actually fucked up and bad. Which it is.

#60 Posted by SharkEthic (1006 posts) -

I'm totally okay with Patrick, I think he's written some genuinely interesting articles and I really like his Worth Reading feature.

That being said:

@Soapy86 said:

He just needs to cool it with pushing his political agenda.

The crazy thing is that the agenda he's pushing is one that I largely agree with and support.

#61 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6094 posts) -

I like the guy, as I do with all the various personalities of Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. Sure, I don't always necessarily agree, but the guy's putting out smart, well-voiced content that creates room for genuinely intelligent debate, even if it does tend to turn into a lot of Internet tomfoolery from commenters. Having someone on the GB team covering the industry as a whole and the issues that permeate it as opposed to just games is a great thing. His content doesn't somehow diminish the fact that this is a website about games - it adds to it. It gives you options to read, to watch, and to listen to. I'd much rather have someone on the team who cares about issues and end up disagreeing with him from time to time than have a bland Internet personality who just plays games. There are plenty of those types on Youtube.

I come here for the energy and unique vibe each and every person working for Giant Bomb brings to the table. That definitely includes Patrick Klepek.

#62 Posted by mordukai (7140 posts) -

He's ok when he's not using GB as his own political blog site. Don't care much for him on the bombcast though, The way he has to push himself on every conversation is just annoying and rude.

#63 Posted by Village_Guy (2501 posts) -

I think Patrick is pretty cool guy, eh writes articles and doesn't afraid of anything.

#64 Posted by Sidewinder23 (5 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

He just needs to cool it with pushing his political agenda.

Having an opinion about something and pushing a political agenda is not the same thing.

#65 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Patrick's ok. He shares the same laugh as me.

#66 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

Good for you. Send him a PM

#67 Posted by Humanity (8834 posts) -

This might be a little controversial, but I think Vinny is pretty awesome.

#68 Posted by Picsl (201 posts) -

I think Patrick is a valuable addition to the site, and he plays a lot of games that the other guys probably wouldn't touch. He knows a shitload about games and has a lot of information on the nooks and crannies of the industry, and he does well on camera.

My problem with him relates mostly with the way he writes off most of the stuff he doesn't like, going as far as to call entire genres "broken", "busted" or whatever, and he makes some pretty hyperbolic statements about games that disappointed him (Twisted Metal 2012 being dog shit comes to mind) even if the games are mostly fine if you remove emotions and expectations from the equation (also, Hitman: Absolution).

Overall he's a good duder, and has turned my attention towards a lot of games I wouldn't have even thought about otherwise (like 999, and perhaps Fire Emblem). All the haters can go fuck themselves (for the most part), Tricky's great!

#69 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4930 posts) -

Patrick is okay. Not my favorite, but he's okay.

@Humanity said:

This might be a little controversial, but I think Vinny is pretty awesome.

It's okay, man. It's okay.

Drew is pretty awesome too. The unsung hero of GB.

#70 Posted by Humanity (8834 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: I like Drew but to be honest those flight manual segments on Unprofessional Fridays bore me to death. I think flight club was hilarious the first few times but at this point watching them flip toggles in a cockpit for 15 minutes just so they can crash 30 seconds after take off has lost it's charm. Thats just me though.

#71 Posted by President_Barackbar (3438 posts) -

I think Patrick does great work, and the hate he gets is pretty terrible. However, people need to make sure they get the difference between disagreeing with Patrick's view on something, and hating him. I don't agree with a lot of his views, however, I do not hate him.

#72 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I think he's awesome too, doesn't change the fact that he is connecting his keyboard to his asshole and spewing shit through his sensationalist daily articles. If he stops then more people like you and me will see that he is in fact a cool dude, but nope, he wants to keep the Kotaku spirit alive.

#73 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Patrick's alright, it's just over the years I've come to understand he has some poor "opinions" or just expresses them poorly.

I used to think he was smarter than he is (when he didn't talk as much) but now I know I was wrong, I still don't mind the guy.

oh and before I forget: Please stop tutting/snorting. Good podcast form, it is not.

#74 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I think he writes good articles, I just don't agree with him on certain topics. But I enjoy to hear his opinions :)

#75 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10507 posts) -

While I disagree with him on several topics that I hold near and dear to my heart (cough, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Twilight Princess, cough), I still think he's a cool dude, and GB is much better with him than it would be today without him.

That Amy Quick Look is one of my favorites. Just saying.

#76 Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse (143 posts) -

I think he adds a diversity to the mix that makes the site better. I mean he plays games the others simply wouldn’t go near and articles they wouldn’t have time to write. For those who dislike him can I just say one thing, Don’t read/watch his stuff, its really that easy. The thing is if he hadn’t written any of the articles that caused so much misguided anger its not like they would have been replaced with an endurance run or quick look. He is adding content not replacing it and if you don’t like his content don’t engage with it that’s cool. The rest of the site and content is still here for you just ignore this bits you don’t like. I don’t own a DS and have no plan to play 999 or VR so I didn’t watch the spoiler vids he did.

#77 Posted by Nux (2306 posts) -

I agree, Patrick is pretty awesome.

#78 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

It's getting really old, comments sections are just filled with squabbling about Patrick. I think it's time for the moderators to just delete these posts being made as the are cluttering up comments sections with childish insults at the staff.

#79 Posted by Sanj (2353 posts) -

Yeah he's pretty cool.

#80 Posted by Brodehouse (9601 posts) -

Well that's great for you.

I agree with Patrick on basic interests; horror games, I'm interested in art games as well but I don't automatically say they're better just for being art games... I think he's probably the hardest worker at GB.

But I think he's entirely conspicuous with his behavior, I can think of maybe two examples where he got behind something that was disliked on the interwebs, and he's much more likely to make judgements based on marketing or 'tone' rather than actually judge the game based on ... the game. That's basically it, it rarely appears as if he's judging a game based on its qualities and more that he judges it based on popular reception. Remember that 2010 GOTY podcast where he led the charge in talking shit about Dragon Age 2, the biggest disappointment of the year? He spent the most time talking about how terrible a game that he never played was. The only one who played Dragon Age 2 was Vinny and his opinion was "It's okay I guess, it's nowhere near as good as Origins, and it's a disappointment for sure... but... I dunno."

I don't find him like... I don't find his personality in general to be annoying, his sense of humor tends to work with the rest of the crew, I like him on the Bombcast and QLs. But when he starts editorializing I just go "no, no, no" and have to pause in order to collect my thoughts.

The opposite to this is Alex Navarro, who I find kind of abrasive and a little too grasping in the moment, but whose opinions seem the most reasonable and who is easily the best literary writer on staff. Alex's articles and reviews are simply way better than his colleagues, but at the same time, I kind of find him to be a little obnoxious. No offense, Alex.

#81 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I like the guy, as I do with all the various personalities of Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. Sure, I don't always necessarily agree, but the guy's putting out smart, well-voiced content that creates room for genuinely intelligent debate, even if it does tend to turn into a lot of Internet tomfoolery from commenters. Having someone on the GB team covering the industry as a whole and the issues that permeate it as opposed to just games is a great thing. His content doesn't somehow diminish the fact that this is a website about games - it adds to it. It gives you options to read, to watch, and to listen to. I'd much rather have someone on the team who cares about issues and end up disagreeing with him from time to time than have a bland Internet personality who just plays games. There are plenty of those types on Youtube.

I come here for the energy and unique vibe each and every person working for Giant Bomb brings to the table. That definitely includes Patrick Klepek.

This summed up my feelings pretty well. There is nothing more wrong about Patrick than with the other guys. They all have their quirks.

#82 Edited by Superfriend (1528 posts) -

@Dogma said:

There is nothing more wrong about Patrick than with the other guys. They all have their quirks.

Yeah, pretty much. I guess people would be pretty fed up with Jeff and Ryan if they were the only ones doing Quicklooks.

That said, I think Patrick´s biggest strength is quality written content and I sort of feel like his talents are somewhat wasted by sitting in on Quicklooks. If that´s what he wants to do, great. I´d rather have a few more in depth features, with a better layout. Basically: The crazy of GB video and podcast content with the stylish articles of Polygon. That would be amazing. But I feel like that´s not the direction they want to go.. or CBS won´t let them, I have no idea.

Edit: And please let me reintroduce my demand from last year: GB needs new cast member badly. I know it´s hard to find someone who fits right in, but the guys still seem kinda overworked. They need another duder (or duderette, let´s keep it clean) if they want to keep cranking out content like this.

#83 Posted by Red12b (9079 posts) -
Jeff on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.
Congratulations to the people complaining about the only guy on staff who spoke up and said "yeah, sure, let's interview Swery while he's in town." You're all Grade A truth-tellers who totally get us as people, man.

When Jeff has to weigh in on the tenth page of a video, expressing his disgust at you assholes bitching about and discussing the various reasons why you don't like Patrick, discussing Brad Nicholson, yeah, it's been 2 years Giant Bomb isn't a team of 4 anymore boo fucking hoo,

Look, in life, there are people you like, and people you don't, for different reasons you might dislike Patrick, guess what, nothing you can do will change anything about the fact he is on Staff, He's doing some interesting work, you might disagree with a lot of it, hey, that's ok. just stop with the incessant bitching and whining, that is distracting from the actual content he's writing about,

Attack the content, not the man.

#84 Posted by kagato (898 posts) -

I think by this point regardless of how you feel about him personally, he has earned his place on the team, dont forget he brought 8-4 play to us and continues to fight for the indie games when they are more often than not ignored. I am pretty much the opposite of him, i like everything he hates and i dont like anything he plays but does that mean i should hate on him and hurl insults in his direction? Of course not, hes a human being guys, try to be more considerate, you dont agree with him? Fine, thats no excuse to be an ass about it.

#85 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

The personal attacks are incredibly juvenile and need to stop. Patrick doesn't deserve any of it.

That being said, I would enjoy the bombcast a lot more if Patrick wasn't on it. It frustrates me that I can't do anything about it, especially since Giant Bomb is the only place I go to for everything related to games and the bombcast is my favorite content on the site.

#86 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (545 posts) -

I like Patrick, too, and those cynical dicks don't realize how much effort he truly is putting in this website versus the other staff. People just care too much about comedy or something, I dunno. Anyways, I just want to stop every sort of talk about liking or hating Patrick altogether. It's such a tedious discussion that it should just be straight-up spam at some point. I think if criticism is truly necessary, then just fucking explain what he could do better. Otherwise, it's the whole "feeding the troll" syndrome, right?

#87 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

Patrick is a-ok.

#88 Posted by CptMorganCA (204 posts) -

@Galiant said:

The personal attacks are incredibly juvenile and need to stop. Patrick doesn't deserve any of it. That being said, I would enjoy the bombcast a lot more if Patrick wasn't on it. It frustrates me that I can't do anything about it, especially since Giant Bomb is the only place I go to for everything related to games and the bombcast is my favorite content on the site.

Now that is a TOTALLY valid opinion. Wish everyone could be this reasonable and respectful.

#89 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I like Patrick.  Dont worry, just ignore the assholes.  Theyre just the vocal minority and more and more of them popping up every month.  Itll be better if we just ignore them.  

#90 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -

Patrick is pretty rad. Hopefully I get to meet him at PAX East this year.

#91 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

If the other member of the crew were half as into makeing content for the site as patrick. We'd be half way through those two giant binders of games by now.

#92 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

I think we can all agree that Patrick is great, but fuck that Vinny guy...

What? Am I doing this wrong...

#93 Posted by BlastProcessing (912 posts) -

I am pro-Alex Navarro. Just wanted to let that out.

#94 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

The hatred of Patrick mostly bugs me because it's so blatantly because he's "the new guy." People find all these nitpicky things and pretend like the rest of the crew is perfect.

#95 Posted by falling_fast (2190 posts) -

word, op!

#96 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

Those negative comments towards him really make me feel bad. Imagine if every time you did something at work, a dozen people chimed in to tell you what a bad job you did, and then started a discussion about how they wish you weren't around. Now imagine you're the only person at work who that happens to.

#97 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

I'm more of a Jeff/Brad/Vinny/Ryan guy myself.

#98 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

The opposite to this is Alex Navarro, who I find kind of abrasive and a little too grasping in the moment, but whose opinions seem the most reasonable and who is easily the best literary writer on staff. Alex's articles and reviews are simply way better than his colleagues, but at the same time, I kind of find him to be a little obnoxious. No offense, Alex.

I definitely enjoy Alex's writing the most. And I also found him to be kind of grating at first but after listening to the Screened podcast for a while I realised... it's just the way he talks. He is cursed with a voice and mannerisms that make him sound obnoxious and abrasive even when the stuff he is saying is totally cool. It sounds weird but I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS THE LEGIT REASON OKAY.

#99 Posted by Pr1mus (3818 posts) -

He's alright but have you seen what he looks like with short hair? That's the stuff of nightmares.

#100 Posted by pweidman (2299 posts) -

I agree with the tc. I especially like his enthusiasm and you can really tell he loves what he's doing at GB. Sometimes his game opinions seem a bit uninformed but that's that just his urge to contribute again. It's all good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.