I Think Patrick Is Pretty Awesome.

• 142 results
#101 Posted by HatKing (6114 posts) -

Yeah, the attacks are getting ugly. It has gotten to the point where I find myself not commenting on articles anymore, because if you agree with him you're also attacked. But I don't think the social articles should stop.

Am I the only one who thinks ignoring things is a bad idea? Agree or disagree with his views, discourse is a good thing, and his articles certainly spark that. We just need to approach a degree of civility. There is a way to discuss things like this without being hurtful or spiteful. Things will always get heated, and that's fine, but there is a different between emotional and being a prick.

I'm glad GiantBomb isn't simply another video game website, but actually dives hard into some things that other sites either tip toe around, or are too afraid to take a stance on.

#102 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

Patrick really is awesome! I agree that it can be tiresome having anyone be on every single video, except Dave, but Patrick is great and im glad he is around.

#103 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Isn't possible to ban someone's user account on this site if they repeatedly harass staff?

#104 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

You're not going to create a world free of hateful comments about Patrick by creating something that is bound to infuriate people who make hateful comments about Patrick, because in essence this is a hateful comment about people who make hateful comments about Patrick.

Just thought i'd point that out, I agree with the general sentiment though.

#105 Posted by ripelivejam (4880 posts) -

@CptMorganCA said:

I Think Patrick Is Pretty Awesome.

And I don't care who knows it. It's totally cool if you don't care for him, but what we've seen from recent threads (more than ever it seems) is good o'l fashion bullying. Or in more modern terms, being an asshole because you gain pleasure from being an asshole. Not all Patrick comments are bullying, but you know what I'm talking about. They need to stop, regardless of your opinion of him. I'm not saying disliking Patrick is wrong, and I'm not saying it is wrong to express it (though it has become exhausting after nearly 2 years), but there is no place for hateful comments. That's just being an asshole, no matter how you spin it.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into an argument. That's not what I'm looking for. This isn't about Pro vs. Anti Patrick, this is about being a decent human being. Don't be a, in the words of Jeff Gerstmann, a "subhuman piece of shit". (referring to Yelp reviewers.)

this.

@Branthog said:

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Jeff Gerstmans or six Ryan Davis' or six Brad Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people. It's fine to argue points with him or about his content, but it's pretty shitty to be antagonistic toward him. If you really can't stand him for some reason, there's still five other dudes making a lot of content that you can enjoy without being unfairly mean to one. For any criticisms I've voiced about a significant part of his content, I wouldn't wish him away from the site for a moment.

also this. even if you disagree with him, he's a different voice that quite a few people respect and agree with. this site is about PERSONALITIES. i love all of them, and there's little things that irk me about all of them (yes even Vinny), but HEY, they're people and human! it's not a big deal and i would rather not focus on the insignificant negatives (i.e. nitpicking).

patrick hits the spot for news, in dept commentary and analysis of games, obscure shit i would never know about, and a more philosophical bent on the hobby we love. i think he takes any criticism to heart too and handles it in stride. he's essential to the site.

#106 Posted by HatKing (6114 posts) -

@coakroach: Well, fuck those people. Seriously. If they're going to get uppity because somebody is calling them out on their bullshit, it's hard to sympathize with them. If you don't like the things Patrick has done, that's fine, and there are plenty of people who are totally reasonable about it, but those who personally attack him - they can go fuck right off.

#107 Posted by Soulreaverm (63 posts) -

@HatKing said:

I'm glad GiantBomb isn't simply another video game website, but actually dives hard into some things that other sites either tip toe around, or are too afraid to take a stance on.

See my problem is I feel like he's more concerned with being seen to care than with actually caring. Because he isn't actually diving hard. He's diving soft. As it is, even as someone who cares deeply about the issues he's writing about, reading those articles is almost embarrassing.

#108 Posted by mrfluke (5347 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@Soapy86 said:

I think Patrick is pretty awesome too! I always have, even before he joined Giant Bomb.

He just needs to cool it with pushing his political agenda.

First response nails it.

yep.

#109 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

Patrick can be great but he also can be pretty annoying. I do enjoy a lot of quicklooks with him, however he sometimes has a certain "if I say it it is that way and everybody who thinks otherwise is wrong" attitude which just rubs me the wrong way. Which is kinda funny cause I think Jeff has the same attitude but it somehow doesn't annoy me as much. Maybe it's because Jeff exaggerates everything so much, I don't know.

But it's hard being a "Patrick is alright" guy, causeevery time I say something about him somebody always chimes in and tells me to leave Patrick alone or that Patrick is the cancer that kills Giantbomb (Yeah.....). I kinda wish he wasn't a regular on the bombcast but I always feel that's kinda mean cause dude just does what dude does, right? And it's not like he is THAT annoying.

However it needs to be said that I would love to hear/see more from Drew but I guess there are reasons why this wont happen.

#110 Posted by myketuna (1756 posts) -

I think Patrick Klepek is a great human being and a much better person than I am.

Truthfully. Here's to you, Scoops.

#111 Edited by ThePencil (390 posts) -

Guy does some great stories and written content.

Guy plays some interesting games for his Premium Content feature.

Guy got me to check out 999.

Guy made me want to get a vita for VLR.

CONCLUSION!

Guy a-ok in my books.

On the otherhand, that Ryan mothafucker...

#112 Posted by Xolare (1285 posts) -

I can't trust that afro.

#113 Posted by Sumbog (507 posts) -

I disagree with 75% of his opinions on video games, but he seems like an decent guy.

#114 Posted by HatKing (6114 posts) -

@Soulreaverm: Fair point. I have done a fair bit of feminist reading myself. I was dating a girl who was super interested in feminist culture, and she passed along a lot of stuff to me. And I do agree with you, he isn't perfect in the delivery. But he reminds me a lot of myself a couple years ago. He wants to do the right thing, and he knows something is wrong, but he doesn't quite have it all grasped yet. Then again, maybe he's trying to ease into it. I mean, some of his articles only hint at feminist views and result it total shit storms.

#115 Posted by jeffrud (422 posts) -

@JZ said:

If the other member of the crew were half as into makeing content for the site as patrick. We'd be half way through those two giant binders of games by now.

I'd echo this and add that he's got the enthusiasm and the pavement-pounding work ethic to keep this site going for a very long time. Considering Mr. Gerstmann has been doing this for something like two decades at this point, there may come a time when he and the rest of the staff decide to move onto new professional lives. Patrick will be the old guard at that point, and he's smart enough to know that he'll also have to take risks and hire new, excitable staff to fill the GB ranks. By then he may be as "jaded" as Gerstmann & Co., and people will bitch about future Patricks. I guess this is just the circle of life. Regardless, I appreciate Patrick's dedication to this site. If I were looking for a constructive way to express my discontent with GB content, unsubscribing and pulling out my money would be a good choice. Trying to make somebody feel like crap for expressing an opinion is just fucking mean spirited.

#116 Posted by sf2733 (51 posts) -

Yeah you guys should probably stop posting i love patrick threads/comments. Whatever the case may be it just makes it seem like EVERYONE hates him and a silent minority feels the need to keep sticking up for him. Get off the guys dick, hes a grown ass man not some child. I'm sure he doesn't need or want people defending him every time he appears in any piece of content on the site.

#117 Edited by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

As someone who's said his fair share of not-so-positive things about him, I have nothing against him personally. I just rarely find that I can identify with his perspectives, unlike the other guys in the crew. But that's also pretty much why he was hired, to bring a new flavor to the site, so can't really blame him for doing his job.

It does often cause a problem in Bombcasts though, as when there's one guy in a group that's doing something completely different the conversation quickly just turns into a monologue with everyone else going "mhm".

#118 Posted by Soulreaverm (63 posts) -

@HatKing: Mmhmm that sounds about right. I certainly don't want him to stop expressing those views and challenging the legions of assholes who need to be challenged. I just wish, if he actually means it, that he would become better informed and start to do it more effectively.

#119 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Milkman said:

The people who think he's pushing his "political agenda" (or that he has one at all) are the really hilarious ones. As if "don't be awful to women" is some sort of political statement.

It's not the statement. It's that it's basically the only statement and it's iterated on once or twice a week. Across all of games journalism. It gets a bit tiresome. Even shitty local and national news outlets give the "shit you're supposed to be terrified of or offended by" now and then. But this isn't a "patrick" thing. It's a game journalist thing (there are a lot of other worthwhile issues to be discussed beside just that, but they don't -- and Patrick only receives criticism of the overkill on it here because he's the one who takes the task of posting most news-ish stuff).

But there's nothing wrong with people having such criticisms and I don't think that's generally what we're talking about, here. I have been enlightened as to the sickening level of a lot of comments that show up on GB with regard to this duder. I never realized how disgusting and dehumanizing they were, because I usually join into an article's conversation hours or days after the fact, when it has mostly been cleaned of the worst of the worst by the moderators. I thought what I saw after the fact was the bad stuff. A few shitty comments and some general criticism of Patrick to varying degrees.

But, oh no. No, that's the good stuff. The things some have recently tipped me off to -- that eventually gets deleted by mods -- I'll be honest, I am a 35 year old male who tends to be pretty insensitive from time to time and a bit knee-jerky and loud about things. And . . . man, some of the shit almost makes me almost tear-up, thinking about any decent human-being having to be on the other end of that stuff. Stuff wishing his family ill or celebrating when someone in his immediate family passed. Constant (two years later!) threats and brain-dead one sentence demands that the dude leave. And apparently so many assholes do this that hundreds per week are banned for the worst of it. And a lot of these people are apparently high post count gold subscribers -- not just hit and run new account dipshits. It's absolutely depressing and I have to imagine that it makes the duders in editorial hate coming here. Hate creating content for us (even though we all -- in the forums -- are a super-minority of the entire GB audience, as it is).

I've had my share of criticisms over Patrick, since the beginning and I've voiced them. I didn't have any clue who the hell he was when he came on. I found his indie focus to feel kind of insincere. Then I came to realize, over time, that he is totally sincere about his love of indie games and it's not some hipster facade. And he has taken it upon himself to produce so much content for GB. Even if you cut out the non-stop "sexism durp durp!" stuff, he produces so god damn much. Especially in comparison to the other duders, as far as written content goes.

For whatever fair or unfair criticisms I've ever had of Patrick, I'll shout my appreciation for him being part of the crew any chance I can. Some can call it "white knight". I call that bullshit. There's a lot of rampant insincere white-knight bullshit on the intarwebs, but countering the loud wall of people wishing harm to your family or reveling in misfortune in your real life? Mindlessly attacking someone with no criticism, but just raw vitriol? If that's "white knighting", then I guess we can be white knights all god damn day.

Patrick is a duder. He's like 1/6th of the editorial staff. He's been here for nearly half the life of the site. He has held a pretty good attitude about things, despite being under a constant barrage of shit from us in the forums every fucking day (I don't know how someone could be enthusiastic about work when it means waking up to this shit every day). I guess it's okay not to be a fan of every person who makes content for a given site, but if nothing else, the guy has earned the right to be treated like a human being.

And while we're on the subject, I owe Patrick an apology, because I've made a few comments over the last year about how he (not so much now) could almost never talk about anything without bringing up his fiance. I made the typical easy jokes about being whipped blah blah blah. That was beneath me. It was shitty of me. It wasn't deserved and it wasn't fair and if my apology would mean jack shit to the dude, I would give it.

In the end, we all just need to remember that all the duders are just regular guys who work hard at a thankless job and want to do their best and have people appreciate the work they do. They put themselves out there every day. They make fools of themselves for our laughs. They have regular life problems like everyone else. They have good and bad esteem days. They have sick family members, relationship issues, worries about their career and everything else that -- you know -- a normal human like the rest of us have every day. I don't see how someone can treat people in such a shitty dehumanizing way as the worst of the worst shit here that is constantly being deleted. Our moms would be repulsed by what a lot of us write and if any of that vile shit was said to or about someone in our family (or even our friends), we would be pissed as fuck.

Of course, none of this is going to make any difference. It's a hopeless battle and I probably just wasted my time like you and everyone everyone else in this comment, too. *sigh*

#120 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

Those negative comments towards him really make me feel bad. Imagine if every time you did something at work, a dozen people chimed in to tell you what a bad job you did, and then started a discussion about how they wish you weren't around. Now imagine you're the only person at work who that happens to.

Imagine if every time you came to work in the morning, people wished you ill and told you to quit and leave for absolutely no reason and then when they found out your immediate family was in the hospital, they wished the worst for them. And when they passed, they celebrated it.

Patrick is a better man than I am, because I could not handle the constant daily hatred that some spew here. I would honestly never come to the site. I would post my shit in the CMS and log out. Or I would just quit my job and move on to another site were people treated me like a person.

Now that I realize how bad things have gotten (and is usually deleted by the time i get around to reading content, I guess) I will probably not even bother with an attempt of constructive criticism about things. Not because that is wrong or unfair, but that I feel I'd just be piling on top of a bunch of horrible stuff and there's a point where it's just no longer worth it.

#121 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

He's alright. It's so fucking weird that people feel a need to feel strongly either way about him.

#122 Posted by Hunter5024 (5969 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Those negative comments towards him really make me feel bad. Imagine if every time you did something at work, a dozen people chimed in to tell you what a bad job you did, and then started a discussion about how they wish you weren't around. Now imagine you're the only person at work who that happens to.

Imagine if every time you came to work in the morning, people wished you ill and told you to quit and leave for absolutely no reason and then when they found out your immediate family was in the hospital, they wished the worst for them. And when they passed, they celebrated it.

Patrick is a better man than I am, because I could not handle the constant daily hatred that some spew here. I would honestly never come to the site. I would post my shit in the CMS and log out. Or I would just quit my job and move on to another site were people treated me like a person.

Now that I realize how bad things have gotten (and is usually deleted by the time i get around to reading content, I guess) I will probably not even bother with an attempt of constructive criticism about things. Not because that is wrong or unfair, but that I feel I'd just be piling on top of a bunch of horrible stuff and there's a point where it's just no longer worth it.

That's kind of the point I'm at right now, I have occasional legitimate gripes with Patrick, and I don't even want to voice them because I feel like I'd just be joining this choir of negative pricks. So yeah. Patrick is pretty awesome most of the time.

#123 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3790 posts) -

Man, Patrick's a big ass boy now. He knows exactly how is attitude is perceived. Its just that he's willing to derail an entire quicklook just to add his obnoxious flavor. Its this weird thing we could get all TeamBrad, and it can delay a chatlog sometimes, but that's not his fault. Brad's just an easy going guy, which is why its easy to pick on his tenacity with BreakingBrad. Vinny is this is awesome take life as it goes guy. Dave's my favorite really. The only thing that's kinda cool about Patrick is that he likes some cool game sometimes. If there's a game he doesn't like, he'll loudmouth and let everyone in the room know, guests and all. I don't even notice the political stuff really, stuff about sexism topics and stuff, I forget about that. I don't actually read his blogs.

I've seen some obnoxious guests for E3 as well, but they're not on every week. Lately I've seen him calm down in the TNT's. He kinda just sits there, and he's usually alright. I like his Patrick likes ghosty games segments, and his quicklooks with vinny are some my favorites i.e. Professor Layton.

The point is, its not hard to turn your attitude around. Its minimal effort to just calm down. It can take a while for some people. I guess I just need to see how he turns out for the next couple of months. It is true though that Patricks gonna do most of the E3 bombcasts, and the Big Live Live. Alex and Drew usually don't do the E3 couch appearances, maybe til E3 Day 3 or 4.

#124 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I feel like he brings a lot of the hate on himself by really trying way too hard to be like the other guys. There's just something about the way he laughs at his own jokes right after he tells them, brings up political stuff all the time, and tries to act super knowledgeable about games to the extent that Jeff and Ryan are when he clearly isn't. I mean, there's stuff I dislike about Ryan, Jeff, Brad, and Alex. No one is perfect, but I feel like some of the flaws of the crew define them in some ways and make them unique. However, Patrick seems to come off as fake while the rest of the crew is kinda just being their own shitty selves.

Plus, let's face it, not everyone can be Vinny.

#125 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

@Soulreaverm said:

@Brodehouse said:

The opposite to this is Alex Navarro, who I find kind of abrasive and a little too grasping in the moment, but whose opinions seem the most reasonable and who is easily the best literary writer on staff. Alex's articles and reviews are simply way better than his colleagues, but at the same time, I kind of find him to be a little obnoxious. No offense, Alex.

I definitely enjoy Alex's writing the most. And I also found him to be kind of grating at first but after listening to the Screened podcast for a while I realised... it's just the way he talks. He is cursed with a voice and mannerisms that make him sound obnoxious and abrasive even when the stuff he is saying is totally cool. It sounds weird but I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS THE LEGIT REASON OKAY.

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I think the main problem is I think he laughs at his jokes too much, when he's writing that part doesn't happen.

#126 Posted by mrpandaman (872 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

His taste in horror is questionable. He should be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

You mean a slingshot from space that is accessible only from a space elevator.

Elect Jeff Gerstmann 2016 REAL CHANGE

Anyways, I like Patrick and his weird in a good way taste in video games. One of the things that really got me into GB was that it opened up gaming for me; So Patrick being there to expand my horizons by him sharing his experiences in games like 999, VLR, and the other stuff is pretty cool.

That being said, I say sometimes he tends to (over)analyze things to a degree where sometimes it gets kind of boring to listen to him go on about a game.

#127 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

As do I, I don't agree with him on everything (CYBERPUNK 2077 LOOKS THE OPPOSITE OF DISGUSTING), but he's great indeed, and I'm glad he's here.

#128 Posted by falling_fast (2284 posts) -

hey, Patrick, if you're reading this, your new haircut looks pretty great in the latest tnt, btw.

#129 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Patrick is super cool. 

#130 Posted by PHenry1991 (136 posts) -

I've been following Patrick ever since he reported that whole Infinity Ward Exodus thing that he covered for G4. He's the guy who found out about Jason and Vince getting canned, and how it was handled. I've always thought he was pretty awesome since then. (Also his name is Patrick, and my name is Patrick. That alone gives him a lot of credit in my book.)

#131 Posted by Jaytow (707 posts) -

Yeah, i made a slightly twatty comment about patrick and he outclassed me.

Good for him, he handles it with class. Has my respect.

#132 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@CptMorganCA: *hands him a tissue paper*...Ummm, you got something there on your lips. Sorry, You kinda left yourself open to that joke. TeeHee.

On a more serious note, I think he's ok when he is not using GB as his own personal political web blog. As it was mentioned before by other members; after almost 5 years on this web site, I have no clue what the other member's political opinions are ( though one could probably take a very good guess) and how when he started here he clearly said that he is not here to advance his own personal political agenda. His 8 women is a perfect example of "road to perdition is paved with good intents". What I mean is that I understand where he [Patrick] was going with that but the way he went about it was all wrong. After he saw the replies from the different women and saw just how most of them are singing the same tune which a change of lyrics, he should have just go "Ok, thanks for the replies but I feel everything that needed to be said has been said". A cool way of doing of doing this article would have been asking the opinions of the women in their lives and see how women outside of the industry feel about it.

I don't know who is the last word on which articles go online and which need more work but who ever that person or persons are need to re-evaluate their approval process. Personally I think Alex is better and I like his writing style better.

#133 Posted by matti00 (675 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@Soapy86 said:

I think Patrick is pretty awesome too! I always have, even before he joined Giant Bomb.

He just needs to cool it with pushing his political agenda.

First response nails it.

If you ask me his political agenda seems to be "People shouldn't be dicks". To be honest that's a platform I can get behind.

#134 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

On a whole, I find videogame news reporting a bit shitty; there's too many people inserting their own irrelevant opinion into a news piece, which is unprofessional and unnecessary. It's glorified blogging. Even worse, some feel the need to ram their own agendas down our throat. Unfortunately, this is a trend that has carried over to Giant Bomb.

Now, go ahead, come and attack me for having an opinion you don't agree with.

#135 Posted by Humanity (10115 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

hey, Patrick, if you're reading this, your new haircut looks pretty great in the latest tnt, btw.

I know were all being very positive in this thread but c'mon.. that haircut does NOT look very good.. he should either leave it long or trim it short. I suppose he's trying to out-troll Jeffs horrible facial hair with an even worse hairdo.

#136 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@Branthog said:

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Jeff Gerstmans or six Ryan Davis' or six Brad Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people.

You're telling me you wouldn't enjoy six Vinnies?

I enjoy Patrick when he does his top notch work; such as when he broke the Infinity Ward story way back when, and the post mortem articles he did on Walking Dead. In those times, he's one of the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned, just from a journalism perspective.

However, yeah, there is a thin line to walk in journalism between subjective and objective, and occasionally I feel he crosses that line, like with the OneReasonWhy and Dead Island pieces.

I personally could not handle six Vinnies. My poor little mind simply does not have the capacity for that much awesomeness.

#137 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

this is like a support group for vegetarianism

#138 Posted by VoshiNova (1755 posts) -

@punkxblaze: Six Vinnies!?!? O_o a man can wish

#139 Posted by jscro (37 posts) -

Patrick seems like a guy I'd have a beer with but I do think he has a bit of a "me too" complex when it comes to discussing games, especially during the Bombcast. It's a roundtable discussion but Patrick's seeming need to have an opinion about everything gives his opinion less value (to me at least). Yes, they all talk over each other but make Patrick's constant interruptions can be aggravating, so much so that I can hear that aggravation reflected occasionally in the voices of Bard and Jeff in particular. Still, on a personal level, he seems like a cool guy; just maybe not the kind of guy to whom you make a flippant remark about a subject he's passionate about while standing in line at Starbucks.

#140 Edited by Krabonq (86 posts) -

@TheStandardToaster:

Which is a bad thing.

GB always kept out of this stupid and uninteresting political crap mostly, except for a "summary" article of what went down here and there, and now we have Patrick trying to push his agenda and opinion into the face of everybody so damn hard, that it's easy to get annoyed. And his articles sometimes just scream slowtaku, if you know what I mean.

Just look at the feedback Alex' recent THQ article got, it was a wave of "best article on QL in a long time" and so on. And you know what that comment means. There were also some more direct ones.

I'm not saying Patrick must be fired, but damn, why does he have to be in nearly every QL !? There are other people I'd rather see. Vinny is greatly underused e.g.

#141 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Patrick is ok sometimes, but as mentioned above, he gets too much exposure in the quicklooks.

The only time I thought he was truely unbearable was during the Nolan North interview. I still can't watch that til this day without cringing.

#142 Edited by falling_fast (2284 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@damnable_fiend said:

I know were all being very positive in this thread but c'mon.. that haircut does NOT look very good.. he should either leave it long or trim it short. I suppose he's trying to out-troll Jeffs horrible facial hair with an even worse hairdo.

... I also think Jeff's facial hair looks pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.