Paul Barnett

• 55 results
#1 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

He failed spectacularly while making Warhammer Online, and is about as interesting as any random person you might come across while Googling "game developer" + "podcast". So why is he so popular here?

He is the poster child for "a person with shitty ideas that helped make a $80+ million project fail miserably". 

Just saying. And pointing out.

#2 Posted by Duke_Lion (221 posts) -

I wouldn't say he was THAT involved with Warhammer Online.  They brought that man in to hype their game up and he definetly did that.  Everyone loved him and believed everything he said about that game.  It just turned out that he was over hyping a steaming pile of shit.

#3 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

It is euphemistically called 'Peter Molyneux Syndrome'. Basically falling for the same shit, from the same man year in, year out.

#4 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Because he's friends with the staff. There.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: Because he's an alright guy and he knows more about games and has done more for games than you....
#6 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

I thought Warhammer Online was a real neat game. It wasn't the WoW killer the company said it was, but guess what? Nothing is.  
If I ever met the man I'd love for him to sign my huge Collector's Edition box.

#7 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

I bought it, and it was... okaaaaay? I guess? It was so long ago, and I played it for such a short amount of time, that I can't even remember.

#8 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

Not a fan. He's a Gary Whitta rip-off :D :D

#9 Posted by Damodar (1428 posts) -

Probably largely because he called Leigh Alexander out on a fair bit of her drunken rambling during the E3 live show.

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Because he's more interesting to listen to than say, you or me and everyone else on the community.  
Age of Reckoning wasn't bad either, it had some neat things going for it. 

Sure it wasn't a World of Warcraft killer but as Paul himself one said, nothing is and nothing is trying to be

#11 Posted by amir90 (2171 posts) -

Dude, he is funny :P

Bear claws, go get MORE bear claws!

#12 Edited by chogi (555 posts) -

He has a way with words that makes thing more amusing that it probably actually is. Don't really care if he was a game developer of a successful game or not.

#13 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Personally I think he's one of the best people I've ever heard when it comes to describing his opinion on something in a really thought out way.

#14 Posted by Mowgers (388 posts) -

Him talking about his game of the year list was very insightful. When he's on a podcast or doing a talk when he's not on message as EA guy, he talks very frankly about his views on the industry. Out of anyone else the GB guys have on as a guest, he is the one who talks most as a developer as opposed to being there to just shoot the shit or to talk very specifically about whatever thing he's making/ made.

#15 Posted by Mesklinite (807 posts) -
@Mono_Listo:

It was a great effort they did. Miles ahead a lot of MMO's. Yeah, it didn't work out in the end. But trying to compete with wow will do that.
#16 Posted by Mikemcn (6998 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" Personally I think he's one of the best people I've ever heard when it comes to describing his opinion on something in a really thought out way. "
Yea, he speaks well, and by the OP's logic, we shouldn't let Johnny V talk because he messed up NBA Ballers and doesn't actually do anything anyone can really call "work". No one wants that though. Also, didn't alot of people like Warhammer Online? it just was too big at the start, perfectly sound though as an MMO. It just thought it could beat WOW. Nothing barnett did was bad. OP, you just hate English accents don't you. 
#17 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Whether he's not very good at his job or not is irrelevant. The majority of the people here that like him do so because he's that funny English bloke who's always got some interesting stories and tales to tell and he's got a personality that blends well with the Staff's so he's an entertaining guest ;)

#18 Posted by Hosstile17 (767 posts) -

I had a decent enough time with Warhammer and he is a pretty funny guy. 

#19 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

It's quite asinine to pin the failure of Warhammer Online solely on him. Last I checked game development was a massive team effort and there are a lot of things that can go bad, to blame an individual shows you probably don't know a hell of a lot about it. Especially since the game in question had a very troubled history.

Paul is a fantastic podcast guest due to his personality and his game of year list for 2010 was hands down the most interesting list anyone made. He clearly has his finger on the pulse when it comes to where gaming is headed.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

Thanks for just saying and pointing out. His shitty game doesn't stop me from liking his voice, or enjoying the things he has to say.

#21 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@Daiphyer said:
" Not a fan. He's a Gary Whitta rip-off :D :D "
lol, they are somewhat similar. 

They're both funny dudes. No need to hate on Paul.
#22 Posted by CheapPoison (739 posts) -

I think he is great to listen too.    
Warhammer does not affect that in any way. Which can hardly be blamed on him alone but i even think the game wasn't too bad. It's just hard to compete with wow at this point and i don't know if a mmorpg based on pvp could ever work.

And i enjoyed his top 10 list.

#23 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

Hi, I am Paul Barnett. I have nothing to contribute to game development. Well, once I made an incredible failure called Warhammer Online. It is the largest embarrassment in the history of MMOs. But giantbomb loves me. lol?

#24 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

"Hi my name is Paul and I helped make a terrible game. But I'm British so giantbomb loves me! Hate humanity after the break"

#25 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Warhammer Online was not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.  It just wasn't a SUCCESSFUL game.  There is a strong difference between the two. 

As for Paul, it's because that muthafucker is a good storyteller.

#26 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" Warhammer Online was not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.  It just wasn't a SUCCESSFUL game.  There is a strong difference between the two.  As for Paul, it's because that muthafucker is a good storyteller. "
LOL

Right. Bad games are successful all the time, and good games aren't!
#27 Posted by Milkman (17035 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: You're trying really hard, aren't you?
#28 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

Remember Warhammer Online for what it was supposed to be, not for what it was.

#29 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Thanks for just saying and pointing out. His shitty game doesn't stop me from liking his voice, or enjoying the things he has to say. "

#30 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @Mono_Listo: You're trying really hard, aren't you? "
With all courtesy, no, you are. I am just a person speaking.
#31 Posted by Turambar (6813 posts) -

Because he has the Will Wright syndrome, and is able to make any topic incredibly engaging to listen to.

#32 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

He talks well. That's why people like him. Being interesting makes people like you. Weird right?

And Warhammer wasn't bad. It was ok, unfortunately MMOs need to be more than ok to survive.

#33 Edited by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

Let's stop pretending that this cancer has anything of value to contribute to the market and world of gaming. He made an incredibly shitty game, and continues to approach development from a perspective of sales success rather than creativity, when he has demonstrated that he is incapable of making a good game. And as much as he harkens to sales success, he has NEVER MADE A COMMERCIAL SUCCESS.

His Ultima stuff? LOL. Seriously. 

Stop enabling this guy. He is feeding off outlets like this. Let him pass.

#34 Posted by Turambar (6813 posts) -
@Mono_Listo:   youmad.jpg
#35 Posted by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -

You got me Mono_Listo, and apparently a large percentage of Giant Bomb. Paul Barnett adds nothing of interest to Giant Bomb and we're fools for liking him. I'm glad we have someone like you setting us straight.

#36 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Stop being such a tool. Sure his game may not have been good, but why does that mean we have to condemn him as a person? He seems like a nice guy on the podcasts, and i enjoy hearing what he has to say and all the stories he tells. I don't see you out there making anything more worthwhile to society OP. You're looking pretty pathetic with your "hi, i'm paul barnett and..." stuff too.

#37 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -

He's a pretty interesting guy to listen to, and every now and then he sounds like Daniel Kitson so he scores bonus points there. I'm not gagging for him to be on every podcast, but I'm certainly chuffed when he does make a special guest appearance.

#38 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Mono_Listo:  Regardless of what drives him as a professional, he is captivating when he talks. I've never spent money on one of his projects because I never cared about them, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what he has to say. His views on the industry are fascinating. Hell, if Kotick would say half of what he does I would like him for that too.

He might be a horrible man who sucks at his job, but that's irrelevant. We like listening to him because he always has something interesting to say. Is that really so hard to accept?
#39 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -
@Turambar said:
" @Mono_Listo:   youserine.jpg while I am mad.jpg
#40 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -
@Slaker117: 

Awe. Giantbomb routinely lambasts shitty developers. This is the only shitty developer they do not lambast. Because he is their friend.

Period. Credibility - 0
#41 Posted by Turambar (6813 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: You're an amino acid?
#42 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

Oh don't go ad hominem on me just because you lost. Lose like a man.

#43 Posted by periodic (26 posts) -

Warhammer Online was a great game. A lot of fun.

#44 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: 
See: Johnny V

Warhammer wasn't shitty though. It was mediocre. And it's not like Barnett is plugging his games when he comes on. He just talks about stuff.
#45 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Mono_Listo said:

" @jakob187 said:

" Warhammer Online was not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.  It just wasn't a SUCCESSFUL game.  There is a strong difference between the two.  As for Paul, it's because that muthafucker is a good storyteller. "

LOL  Right. Bad games are successful all the time, and good games aren't! "
Bad games actually are successful all the time.
 If only good games succeeded, the game industry would be a utopia.
Also it would not be the first time critically acclaimed games flop.
#46 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

Is it anywhere near a standard? Did Barnett not lose his fucking ass off with WAR and not ever do anything of substance otherwise? Are you guys assuming an indefensible position "just because".

#47 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

He's been a guest with the GB guys for years and he's a really cool guy. He gets paid to exagerate products from the companies he works for. I don't see the problem.

#48 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

Hey at least he's done more in life than Mono_Listo. How many $80 million projects has he worked on?

#49 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: 
The dude tells good stories. That's all there is to it. He could be the mind behind Big Riggs or The Dark Lord himself and that wouldn't change. Listening to what he says doesn't mean we support him as a dev, it just means we like listening. This is not a hard concept to grasp.
#50 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Mono_Listo: Do you like Tim Schafer?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.