Paul Barnett lol wut?

#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

Ok, as an "inverted" gamer, I failed to understand the whole conversation on the NDX about inverting being a "dying" breed. Can anyone explain his point?

#2 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

not really, its all about personal taste, personally i like the inverted controls in flight sims but controlling a third/first person shooter like that just feels weird

#3 Posted by Majestic_XII (95 posts) -

I'm a inverted player (vertical of course), that's where it's at. Me and my girlfriend started playing together a couple of years ago, and she's all new to the console gaming scene, and guess what she did? Inverted vertical AND horizontal. The game, I lost it. That shit be hardcore.

#4 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

I believe the standard for N64 games was inverted.  However, the norm has switched to the opposite direction so the number of inverted players are decreasing.  I doubt they'll ever truly be gone however.

#5 Posted by onimonkii (2421 posts) -

i used to be an inverter, but one day i played a game and it just felt wrong, and i haven't been able to go back since.

#6 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Inversion is a choice. It's not natural and you people will be judged for your unholy ways.

#7 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -
@Majestic_XII said:
" I'm a inverted player (vertical of course), that's where it's at. Me and my girlfriend started playing together a couple of years ago, and she's all new to the console gaming scene, and guess what she did? Inverted vertical AND horizontal. The game, I lost it. That shit be hardcore. "
FUCK!!! double invert is like playing super meat boy with the guitar peripheral.
#8 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -
@buft said:

" @Majestic_XII said:

" I'm a inverted player (vertical of course), that's where it's at. Me and my girlfriend started playing together a couple of years ago, and she's all new to the console gaming scene, and guess what she did? Inverted vertical AND horizontal. The game, I lost it. That shit be hardcore. "
FUCK!!! double invert is like playing super meat boy with the guitar peripheral. "
Double inverting the controls is so much extra work. The only way you could easily get past it without tons of practice would be to imagine a pivot point in the air between your sticks and your reticle. This is what the people that do this are doing whether they realize it or not.
#9 Posted by Cramsy (1160 posts) -

Pressing up should make the character look up. 

#10 Posted by Cwaff (1259 posts) -
@Cramsy said:
" Pressing up should make the character look up.  "
Don't make me bring up the head tilting back argument!
#11 Posted by mangomonger (67 posts) -

its like using a video camera

#12 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -

I only invert for Flight sims.

#13 Posted by GreggD (4450 posts) -

I'm an inverter. Proud of it, too.
#14 Posted by Cramsy (1160 posts) -
@Cwaff said:
" @Cramsy said:
" Pressing up should make the character look up.  "
Don't make me bring up the head tilting back argument! "
Up is up! down is down! 

the head tilt argument makes me question my own existence. Please, no more. 
#15 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

A game is unplayable to me if the controls aren't inverted and I'm not so sure I could learn how to play games without an option to do it.  If inverted controls ever went away I would have to give up gaming.

#16 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

The default camera controls for Hyperdimension Neptunia is "normal", but the "normal" is actually inverted, and the "inverted" is actually normal.

#17 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

The accumulated filth of all their inverted controls will foam up about their waists and all the invertees will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

#19 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

Ok so I've never played flight sims or N64 FPSs and I still inverted my controls day 1. I don't invert mouse controls though. It feels natural, and I don't understand why Paul thinks it will go away.....

#20 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Ewwww. People who invert controls are crazy.

#21 Posted by xyzygy (9638 posts) -

I used to play as inverted and I was more efficient. Now that I've gotten more used to standard and I can't go back I'm not as good as I once was.

#22 Posted by groin (822 posts) -

I use inverted controls on gamepads and standard controls on the mouse.

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9793 posts) -

Always be inverted!

#24 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

I think the thing some people don't understand about playing games inverted is that it's just how some people learned to play games. I'm inverted because I literally cannot aim with regular controls, I just can't. I grew up playing console shooters over at friends' houses and all of their games were set to inverted, so it's just how I learned to navigate and aim in those games. And at this point, I've played so many console shooters this way, it would take me hundreds of hours to revert to regular controls. Would I prefer to be regular? Sure, it'd make switching off a controller to a friend easier, but it's not like I'm doing it to be some elitist or anything, it's just how I grew up.

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
"  The accumulated filth of all their inverted controls will foam up about their waists and all the invertees will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No." "
YES, FOURLEAF !! YES !!
#26 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Tilting your head forward makes you look down, pulling your head back makes you look up.  I will fight all of you.  Inverted forevs.

#27 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

I used to be standard, but then I spent a few hours playing inverted and now it's the only way I can play.

#28 Posted by CosmicQueso (566 posts) -

They may take my life... but they shall never take... my inverted Y!

#29 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1169 posts) -

Basically what I got was back around the N64 inverting or not inverting your controls was standard set up. Now though most games don't even bring it up. If you ask a kid who grew up with Xbox and PS2 what inverting your controls meant they'd have no clue or would just think its a weird thing to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.