Speed Coke: A Drink Chugging Contest For The Ages

• 150 results
Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
My teeth feel like they're coated in a sickly film. That's probably because I don't normally drink regular Coke at any speed, let alone under nine seconds. But that's how we spent our morning here at Giant Bomb as we recorded our response to Paul Barnett's video of Warhammer Online maker Mythic employees having a speed contest for fastest Coke drinking time. For reference, here's Paul's video:

After putting me on to the challenge this morning via Twitter, Ryan and I stopped off to get some Cokes on our way into the office. The following video was shot at 10:45 this morning.

Having used a funnel-type device for quickly drinking beers before, I understand the throat pain that comes with quickly drinking carbonated beverages. But the extra-fizzy nature of a can of Coca-Cola makes it way tougher than gulping down two cans of Coors Light. I'm currently using some popcorn to soak up the fluid in my tummy, and hope to make a full recovery.

Oh, and don't try this at home... at least... not yet.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
My teeth feel like they're coated in a sickly film. That's probably because I don't normally drink regular Coke at any speed, let alone under nine seconds. But that's how we spent our morning here at Giant Bomb as we recorded our response to Paul Barnett's video of Warhammer Online maker Mythic employees having a speed contest for fastest Coke drinking time. For reference, here's Paul's video:

After putting me on to the challenge this morning via Twitter, Ryan and I stopped off to get some Cokes on our way into the office. The following video was shot at 10:45 this morning.

Having used a funnel-type device for quickly drinking beers before, I understand the throat pain that comes with quickly drinking carbonated beverages. But the extra-fizzy nature of a can of Coca-Cola makes it way tougher than gulping down two cans of Coors Light. I'm currently using some popcorn to soak up the fluid in my tummy, and hope to make a full recovery.

Oh, and don't try this at home... at least... not yet.
Staff
#2 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

Lol fantastic.

#3 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Coke can do some nasty things to your throat, lol "This is terrible!"

#4 Posted by GobiasIndustries (356 posts) -

Hahahah "That's all inside of me now!"

#5 Posted by Donos (1194 posts) -

Arg, now I gotta go set the Canadian record,

#6 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

Yes.

Just yes.

#7 Posted by snake6phw (166 posts) -

Real men right here. Way to go guys!

#8 Posted by Lukeweizer (2619 posts) -

yes, let's play Street Fighter!

#9 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

wow, wow.

#10 Posted by kardon16 (80 posts) -

first comment?

#11 Posted by TekZero (2665 posts) -

This is what makes Giantbomb.com different from everyone else.  Bravo gentlemen.

#12 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

wow! I think I just saw Carrie for a few seconds in that first video

anyways AWESOME!

#13 Posted by Mawryk (135 posts) -

I had been missing unprofessional Fridays.  Keep up the good work boys!

#14 Posted by Oni (2095 posts) -

That was... a terrible idea! Or a great idea, I can't tell.

#15 Posted by alConn (153 posts) -

Here comes 1000 reponses on the alliance forums about how they should be fixing the game than, ya know, doing anything else EVAR.

BTW, awesome vids, love da giant bomb.

#16 Edited by GUnitVer1 (106 posts) -

This is insane and I want to play Street Fighter too!!

#17 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Luchadeers turn! I bet he beats all scores!

#18 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

Amateurs.

#19 Posted by Badam (431 posts) -

Hug the tiger.

#20 Posted by bobpie24 (100 posts) -

Its on now!

#21 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -

Rofl, just awesome guys. The videos on this site just totally set you apart from all competition :D

#22 Posted by RipTheVeins (1545 posts) -

well there's a coke stain on the carpet thanks to Vinny...this is now officially a basement.

and the Street Fighter comment at the end was priceless.

#23 Posted by Drebin_893 (2903 posts) -

More videos like this, please!
Reminds me of How To Build A Bomb, except this is better!

#24 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Speed... AND COKE!?! WTF!

#25 Posted by Anders (56 posts) -

LOL

#26 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

I love this site more even day. 

#27 Posted by McPlated (132 posts) -

Yea street fighter

#28 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

Try chugging the Jolly Rancher soda, assuming there's any left. Failing that, save the rest of the coke for the podcast.

#29 Posted by Tolkienfanatic (99 posts) -

Haha at Ryan hugging his stuffed tiger.

#30 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

ily guys, ur hilarious

#31 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

I will try and get my friends to do it too and get a video of this.  Well used to chug quarts of water back in the day just for the hell of it when we were kids.

#32 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Watching this video made me feel like i needed to burp.

#33 Posted by MetalRocker (58 posts) -

I'm craving a coke now.

#34 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -
#35 Posted by Infocom (15 posts) -

Amazing!

I hope Ryan survived.
#36 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

A true feat of awesome proportions, sort of.

#37 Posted by Dots (114 posts) -

GiantBomb once again proves that they are the most awesome site ever!

#38 Posted by Champy (533 posts) -

YOU GUYS ARE EPIX

#39 Posted by EmptyQuarter (92 posts) -

That was totally irresponsible. And bloody funny! 

Jeff sure can swallow.
#40 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

Confirmed:  the neon sign says EAT!  (Did we have confirmation of this before?)

Drew officially rocks.
Poor Ryan, there is no mercy.  Someone really needed to burp him like a baby to get all that air out.

That third Mythic dude changed the rules.  He already had the can open, and it was Diet Coke.  DISQUALIFIED.
Alas, I have no Coke on hand to attempt this.
#41 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Man you guys rock so hard! This was brilliant!

#42 Posted by HatKing (5844 posts) -

yeah baby jeff!!! woot represent!  lol...

#43 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

That was hilarious, Paul Barnett is such a joker XD

#44 Posted by mythicandy (1 posts) -

Well met!

For the record, my stomach still hurts.

#45 Posted by Hoshnasi (356 posts) -

Do the Irish car bomb challenge.  6 car bombs as fast as possible.  I have the local bar record at a minute and 20.

#46 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Ryan's realization after the fact of what he had just done, is the greatest and funniest thing I have seen in a long while!  "Ugh... Thats all inside me..."

Bet yeah I can beat the time easy.  I drink around 10 cans of soda a day.  All kinds, cept Diet.  But I would possibly have to break the rules.  If I squeeze the can, it's drained in a few seconds or shotgun it.  Trick is the angle in which the coke pours out.  Second pop the can and drink right away.  Less fizz.  Also gulp air when you drink.  Like when your trying to force a burp.   You can also put ice cubes in your mouth to chill it up, making your mouth cold.  So the soda fizzes less. 

Anti-acids are the steroids of this sport!

Damn, wish I had a camera of some sort!

Oh yeah, put sugar on your tongue for fun.

#47 Posted by PLWolf (921 posts) -

Poor Ryan. lol
You guys are awesome and if you want someone to take the rest of the Coke off your hands let me know. I'll can swing by Sausalito or you can bring it by The Fed Building in SF. ;-)

#48 Posted by Nets (319 posts) -

LOL nice one Jeff! Damn I can't chug for shit... Even Vinny could do better than me!

By the way, the Giant Bomb theme playing in the background while Jeff started chugging was epic.

#49 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -

The rule is it has to be warm coke, not chilled, cuz the bubbles are bigger.  PAIN!!

#50 Posted by Stevokenevo (573 posts) -

under 9 seconds!  that puts me to shame.  Im terrible at downing drinks.  Bravo gents.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.