PAX East 2012 is this weekend!

• 53 results
#1 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

Despite being a long-time gamer, this will be my first ever video game expo. I'm really looking forward to it. Who else is going?

I'm a local Bostonian, so if anyone has any questions about the city, feel free to ask!

#2 Posted by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

I'm going. If you haven't yet, I advise everyone to check out Marino's Pax Guide. It's excellent.

Also, if anyone is planning on trying to get games of stuff set up at some point I am definitely interested. I'm not sure what the internet situation will be like so I don't know how easy that will be. But if I'd love to get involved with any games I can.

#3 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

@YI_Orange: Thanks for pointing out that guide. Looks like great advice for a virgin PAXer like me.

For instance, I didn't realize PAX was such an around-the-clock deal... I'm glad I suggested my wife and two kids go visit the inlaws for Easter weekend.

#4 Posted by sawtooth (412 posts) -

Welcome to the fold, brother.

#5 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

I'll be there! Third year for me (and everyone I guess). Yeah, PAX goes all day, especially Saturday.

#6 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

Leaving for Boston on Thursday, first PAX alone so I am equal parts excited and scared. Looking forward whatever GB meetup happens.

#7 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

Not going to PAX, but I'm gonna try to go to the bar meet up it there is one.

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I'm going! This will be my second time going to PAX. Every second of it is an absolute blast.

#9 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

Do a lot of folks come from out of town, or are most of them locals?

#10 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (440 posts) -

i will also be a first time video game expo attendee this weekend...so psyched. i'm coming from framingham just like 20minutes west so boston is easy and so damn familiar for me. happy to be surrounded by other bombers while there.

#11 Posted by Ladnar (191 posts) -

Will be there as well, last year's was my first. Definitely going to Rock Band Night on Thursday as I wasn't able to get tickets for it last time the GB duders were judges. Coming down from Portsmouth, Nh area so not that far.

#12 Posted by slowbird (1518 posts) -

@Apocralyptic: I get the impression that a ton of people come from places other than Boston to see it. I'm coming from Pennyslvania and I have friends coming from Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Europe-land to see PAX. Most of the people on the official PAX forums seem to be driving or flying in from outside the area as well. So get ready, Boston, because WE'RE COMING TO TAKE OVER YOUR TOWN AND PILLAGE YOUR SPORTS TEAMS lol j/k.

#13 Posted by SilentZero (48 posts) -

I'm coming in from NY on Thursday. Can't wait!

#14 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

This is my third PAX overall, and my second year at East. Super excited to go back.

#15 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

Going for my third PAX East with lots of Giant Bomb beer in tow!

#16 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

This will be my second PAX East. Coming in from NYC on Thursday. Pretty pumped.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Wish I could go! Have fun duder!

#18 Posted by FonkyMucker (125 posts) -

I am super excited! It my girlfriends and mine first trip to PAX, and her first conference (I went to GDC a couple of times, but they are totally different things). We are flying out from Wisconsin. My lady has even started listening to the bomcast to prepare the awesomeness that will be Saturday Night....she loves it b.t.w.

For anyone who has been there before, how does the Giant Bomb meetup come into being? I am assuming it going to be some info released via Twitter...

#19 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

@FonkyMucker: I'm also curious about a meet up. It would be great to meet some other GB folks in person.

I also heard about a Rock Band night? Although on this forum they mentioned it was "sold out"... I don't even know what or where it is, much less that there were tickets.

#20 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -
#21 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

I'm gonna look into going next year. I've never been to America either so that'll be something.

#22 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

@Matt: Thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out for that next year.

#23 Posted by thornie (155 posts) -

Totally missed the Rock Band thing. Didn't even know you needed tickets.

#24 Posted by boysef (66 posts) -

@Apocralyptic: the meet up was confirmed for jj foley's in boston, you can google it and itll come right up with the map, i think its about 4 miles from where im staying so it may be out of staggering home distance but ill find out soon enough!

#25 Posted by thornie (155 posts) -

@boysef: Is the meet-up only for duders that got tickets for the Rock Band contest, or is this a completely separate GB Thursday night meet-up?

#26 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

@boysef: What night is that?

#27 Edited by thornie (155 posts) -

@Apocralyptic: After looking around, I think JJ Foley's is the after panel meet up. So, saturday night.

#28 Posted by boysef (66 posts) -

sorry that was for Saturday night, not tickets needed as far as i know. sorry for any confusion

#29 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

Nope. Just show up at JJ Foley's with your ID and drinking hat.

#30 Posted by slowbird (1518 posts) -

Shit, I need to get a drinking hat then!

#31 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@Mahonay: @slowbird: I keep my drinking hat on my owl.

#32 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

@Matt: Pascual - I AM GOING TO HUG YOU A LOT AGAIN THIS YEAR

#33 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

@slowbird said:

Shit, I need to get a drinking hat then!

@Matt said:

@Mahonay: @slowbird: I keep my drinking hat on my owl.

Hey guys, I think we should wear hard hats.

GET IT? IN CASE YOU BUMP YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU ARE DRUNK.

Seriously though, can't fucking wait to get there tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Rock Band night.

#34 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@Brewmaster_Andy: I want all of the hugs

#35 Posted by boysef (66 posts) -

Leaving tomorrow morning for a 6 hour drive to boston, woot woot! Man will I be needing a beer right around the time riock band night starts...

#36 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

I'm pissed I'm missing Rock Band night again. Stupid signing up with my stupid non-giant bomber friends for the Pokecrawl. Next year i'll try to make it if it happens again.

#37 Edited by FonkyMucker (125 posts) -

Baller! That's like a 3 minute walk from my hotel! Now I don't feel so bad about missing the Rock Band night.

#38 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

@FonkyMucker said:

Baller! That's like a 3 minute walk from my hotel! Now I don't feel so bad about missing the Rock Band night.

Yeah pretty close to my hotel too which will make it just a stumble away at the end of the night.

#39 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Ahhhhhh. I wonder how it will be.

#40 Posted by FonkyMucker (125 posts) -

@Mahonay: Lol. Yeah, my girl was glad to know that she wouldn't have to drag me very far. But hopefully far enough to get some food at a place I really shouldn't eat at.

#41 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

Anyone else staying staying at the Omni Parker House?

#42 Posted by Asmo917 (356 posts) -

Roughly 22 hours until I arrive in Boston. I'm so friggin' excited for this - it's my first PAX and I've got three or four friends who live in Boston and I haven't seen in years. If you see a huge dude stalking Randy Pitchford or Ken Levine wearing some kind of Ohio State shirt it's me.

Also: I WILL DRINK ANY AND ALL OF YOU UNDER THE TABLE in a friendly competition.

#43 Posted by Ladnar (191 posts) -

Awesome there is another meetup going on this year, wished I went to last years. Thinking about bringing Cards Against Humanity with me, should be fun with some alcohol involved.

#44 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

@Ladnar said:

Awesome there is another meetup going on this year, wished I went to last years. Thinking about bringing Cards Against Humanity with me, should be fun with some alcohol involved.

CAH is going to be there in the Kickstarter Games lounge, selling the regular packs and the expansion, as well as doing some fun shit apparently.

#45 Posted by Ladnar (191 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: Oh really? Thanks for the info. Bought them both the minute they came back stock and haven't been able to convince people to play yet. Don't think they are horrible enough.

#46 Edited by Mahonay (823 posts) -

Alright listening to the Bombcast and it sounds like the JJ Foley's get together might happen on Friday. That would give us a lot more time at the bar as opposed to Saturday after the panel where we would only have 3. I'm all for Friday.

#47 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

Bah. Arrived too early. Get to sit here until I get a call from the hotel that I can check in. At least I've got my plans in order for the Brattle tonight.

#48 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

Can't wait to go to Rock Band night tonight and hit up PAX all weekend. Should be awesome yet again!

#49 Posted by solidwolf52 (295 posts) -

@Apocralyptic: It's at the Brattle Theater, which is near the Harvard Square Red Line stop. Sounds like it's pretty much GB being assholes on purpose to people playing Rock Band.

#50 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

Anyone know if people going out in Harvard Square before/after/during the event? I'm not going but I'll be in the area anyways. There's some good bars around there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.