PAX East is a week away and now comes the part where I have to plan ahead and set up a rough itinerary for myself. Basically, I know what panels, booths and concerts I would like to see at PAX East, but I also expect to spend some valuable time outside of the video game universe and see some of what the city has to offer.
I'm not sure if I can fit everything I want to see in the few days I'll be in Boston, but here's a few places I would like to see or do while in town.
- Walk the Freedom Trail - covers most of Boston's most historic sites including Boston Common, Bunker Hill Monument, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere House and others. It's pretty much the big touristy thing to do in Boston. In fact, I'll be doing a ton of walking while in Boston. Must buy a more comfortable pair of shoes.
- Visit the Museum of Fine Arts - A little bit of art and culture wouldn't hurt me... unless you think games are art, too.
- Go to the Skywalk Observatory - Because I'm willing to spend a few bucks to snap a picture of Boston from one of the tallest buildings in the city.
- See Fenway Park - Although I'm a Yankee fan, I'm also a fan of baseball so a tour of the park (or even a brief walk around) would be pretty cool.
- Check out the harbor - Boston does have a waterfront so I should at least check out where all that tea went.
- Eat lots of food - While I'm in town, I'm not going to just feast on Boston cream pie and New England clam chowder. I've got a few restaurants to check out, including Eagle's Deli, the first place I will stop as I enter the city. Supposedly, they have delicious burgers that range from average size to fucking huge. And since I'm such a hipster, I downloaded a Boston food truck app in case I need a grilled cheese or some weird Asian fusion meal on the run.
- Brewery tour, maybe? - Samuel Adams is there, but I never really liked their beer all that much and that's too obvious. My next option would be the Harpoon Brewery, located fairly close to the BCEC. If the brewery tour plan goes to shit, I'll just do all my drinking at a local watering hole.
I know I'll never make it to every spot I listed and I expect to be thrown off the itinerary once or twice, but that's half the fun. There's lots of museums, an aquarium, numerous parks and squares and great architecture to see in Boston that I can just visit on a whim. Hell, I might get lost in Cambridge, time permitting. Plus, I'm also planning this as if I'll be alone most of the time, but that can always change.
So for those going to PAX East... you got any other plans while in Boston?