First video game convention ever, what should I do?

#1 Edited by Walreese55 (506 posts) -

PAX East is basically my first video game convention ever, and apart from trying to see the GB duders and shake their hand, I'm not sure what to do. For people who have gone to PAX before, what would you recommend I do

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Streak.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Streak.

goddamnit that's what I was going to say

#4 Edited by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@animasta said:

@jasonr86 said:

Streak.

goddamnit that's what I was going to say

Great minds.

#5 Posted by RioStarwind (547 posts) -

I've never been to one either so my plan was to walk around and look at a ton of different booths. Check out some of the panels/concerts maybe even enter a classic tourney of some kind. High five random GB duders I see plus just overall enjoy the atmosphere. From what I've seen about it we won't have any issues finding something to do.

#6 Edited by Sgtpierceface (624 posts) -

Shower regularly.

#7 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

The show floor is great but PAX is so much more. There are freeplay areas to try out all different kinds of games from classic and current consoles, board games and the PC. When the panel schedule comes out the first thing you should do is realize that you will not see everything.

#8 Posted by boysef (76 posts) -

carry purell every where

#9 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

I probably wouldn't touch anything.

#10 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Don't expect to play demos for big, triple A game titles unless you like waiting in line for 4 and a half hours.

#11 Posted by Walreese55 (506 posts) -

Any reccomendations about where to go first? Food?

#12 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

You're definitely not going to find food around the convention center unless you enjoy eating the overpriced shit they serve in it. Most of the places to eat are at least 20-30 minutes away from the center.

#13 Posted by Walreese55 (506 posts) -
#14 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

PAX East is my first too! Bar crawl with me?

#15 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (521 posts) -

First things first, check out @Marino 's fantastic PAX guide that he put together last year. A lot of the same information applies. You can check out that guide here.

1. Bring some hand sanitizer for meeting people and after controller use. No joke.
  2. Wear deodorant. Please.
  3. Go in knowing that there WILL be things you can't see because they conflict with other events. Plan accordingly. I recommend Guidebook, which is an app on iOS and Android that has a PAX guide you can use to plan your schedule for each day.
  4. Don't waste your time waiting in lines for big, AAA titles, unless they are titles that you know you need to see immediately. PAX is great for the indie and XBLA/PSN scene, and there are usually shorter waits to see and play those games.
  5. Get in line super early for the GB panel if you want a seat. Last year's line was around 2 hours.

Enjoy!

#16 Posted by Marino (4706 posts) -
Staff
#17 Edited by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

last year i brought some sandwiches and crackers to munch on in the food hall area. you are allowed to leave and re-enter, so feel free to bring a cooler if you'd like with drinks and other food stuff (in your car).

#18 Edited by djhicks1 (150 posts) -

Wash your hands and don't touch your face.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.