Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2013

Concept »

The fourth annual PAX East took place March 22-24, 2013 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Is it too early to plan for PAX East 2013?

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Fuck no.

This year's convention was a pretty great time, and though it just recently ended, I learned a few new tricks of the trade that might help future PAX-goers enjoy their time at the convention a little bit more.

1. Realistically, one should temper their expectations about the AAA game titles available to play at PAX and plan accordingly. One of the most common complaints over on the official PAX forums seems to be the sheer wait time that many visitors experienced for some of the AAA titles on the show floor. Three and four hour lines are not uncommon, especially on the busier days (Friday and Saturday) and at peak hours. As such, you really need to plan accordingly in order to maximize your time playing games (if that is your plan!)
    2. Do NOT neglect the Indie Showcase. Boston has a phenomenal indie game presence at PAX, and some of my favorite experiences this year stemmed from playing those games (I'm looking at you, Guacamelee!)
    3. On a similar note, spend some time in the tabletop area! Even if you don't enjoy tabletop games in general, there is something for everyone in that section of the show. Card games, board games, D&D - you name it, there is a group willing to play it. My friends and I ended up playing Cards Against Humanity for a solid two hours with one of the Epic Games devs - you never know when something like that might happen and brighten up your show

See you all next year!

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By seamus85

great to know, i all ready booked my hotel :)

do you have any tips?? i was thinking about driving down to Boston or is flying just a better option.

Avatar image for quick_stop_chad
    Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad

Do we know when the date is going to be?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

@Quick_Stop_Chad said:

Do we know when the date is going to be?

March 22-24 this year. Even though PAX hasn't confirmed the dates, the venue has sort of leaked them on it's website.

Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad

Thank you! I wanted to get my hotel as soon as I can.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By trace

I wouldn't necessarily book a hotel until the PAX rates come out, unless you're booking well away from the BCEC. Definitely don't want to get bumped because PAX reserved a block that includes the room you thought you had.

Otherwise, everything Andy said is true. Most especially, don't be afraid to explore the whole exhibition floor. There are awesome things everywhere, and you'd be remiss to just glance and walk by most of them. As for the games with long lines, I prefer to line up for the exhibition hall each day and head for one of those crazy lines first thing. The wait for the hall to open can be obnoxious, but it is so worth it if you save hours getting to see or play that top tier game you were interested in.

Barring disaster, I will be at PAX East 2013 with a lot less guilt and hopefully a more cooperative stomach (curse you, Coke Freestyle machine and several pounds of Five Guys!). Looking forward to it already.

Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad

So is that why I can't book the Westin for that weekend, How exactly does that work does it go up and its first come first serve? last year we had to get a hotel pretty far from the convention center I really would love to be closer.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By trace

@Quick_Stop_Chad: Yeah, PAX will announce their hotel booking system is active (probably first on their forums, then on Twitter) and it's a mad rush through that to hopefully get the hotel you want.

Maybe not the most elegant system, but definitely worth keeping your eyes open on their forums and the TweetZone.

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By seamus85

you can book at the Hilton boston it about a 20 min drive from the trade and Convention centre

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

Never too early.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.