Who's going to PAX East 2013?

• 96 results
#51 Posted by TurboMan (6943 posts) -

@Matt: I'd love to, but I'm just a guy that goes to college and has a part time job. I can't afford to spend 500+ dollars on Hotels alone.

#52 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@TurboMan: There is a roomshare thread in the official pax forums, could be worth checking that out.

#53 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

@Matt: Have you sorted flights and stuff? What are the best airlines?

#54 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@ZoomyRamen: Not yet. I've flown British Airways both times to Boston. They tend so be slightly more expensive but I like them. Plus they fly out of Heathrow Terminal 5 and it's super nice!

#55 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

@Matt: Cool cool, me a fellow duder have been looking at flights. Delta seems to be coming in the cheapest but will have a look at BA! I imagine closer to the time meet-ups and things are arranged? I'm being super forward thinking with this since I'm pretty terrified/excited/paniccy etc etc about this whole thing!

#56 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@ZoomyRamen: Totally understand, I was the same way for my first PAX

#57 Posted by Sweep (8541 posts) -

@ZoomyRamen said:

@Matt: Cool cool, me a fellow duder have been looking at flights. Delta seems to be coming in the cheapest but will have a look at BA! I imagine closer to the time meet-ups and things are arranged? I'm being super forward thinking with this since I'm pretty terrified/excited/paniccy etc etc about this whole thing!

I flew delta and it was fine. No problems at all. I had those same feelings of anxiety when I went this year, but you honestly don't need to, once you get there everything becomes super safe and easy. Boston is amazing, I was walking around completely fucked out of my mind and never had any hassle at all.

#58 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

@Sweep: Everyone seems super re-assuring which is good! Might have to start posting a bit more so I don't feel like an awkward thousandth wheel when I get there!

#59 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (440 posts) -

2013 will be my second PAX East...bought my ticket the day the single tickets went on sale. I totally LOVED the experience this year, especially since I had been wanting to experience a video game expo for about 20 years.

#60 Posted by Jedted (2258 posts) -

I bought my tickets for Saturday and Sunday(didn't want to pay $100 for all 3 days). This will be my first Pax so i look forward to meeting some GB community folks.

#61 Posted by Th3irdEye (236 posts) -

This may be a stupid question but, I'm planning on going with a friend that doesn't like to drink and thus I will most likely be refraining as well. I'm assuming there is enough non-alcohol related activity to keep us entertained for the three days, right? I wouldn't have thought about this before but I've been reading so much about PAX parties and such lately I figured it wouldn't hurt to get everyone's opinion.

#62 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@Th3irdEye: I wouldn't worry about it. Even though quite a lot of after hours events happen at bars, it's quite common for people to not be drinking.

#63 Posted by AngryRedPlumber (211 posts) -

I am going, although the Saturday passes just sold out, so I will only be attending Friday and Sunday's show. It will be fun to check out some sites around Boston on Saturday, though.

#64 Posted by mattgriffin (51 posts) -

I cannot wait for PAX East. I need it.

#65 Edited by Mahonay (823 posts) -

@Matt said:

@Th3irdEye: I wouldn't worry about it. Even though quite a lot of after hours events happen at bars, it's quite common for people to not be drinking.

Yep. And if you're into table games at all there's a big area on the convention floor filled with people playing them well into the night.

There are also the concerts that take place in the convention. So there are some alternatives. Not going to lie though, most of the meet-ups and industry parties are held at bars/clubs. Nothing wrong with showing up and not drinking though.

#66 Posted by Th3irdEye (236 posts) -

@Mahonay: Thanks for the reassurance. I probably wouldn't mind going to bars/clubs if there was a gathering that I was interested in, just more than likely would not be partaking myself and I don't know how my buddy will react so idk.

#67 Posted by Libb (63 posts) -

Going with a group of my friends for Friday and Saturday. I believe we're driving out on Thursday, so hopefully we'll get into town early enough for the festival of debauchery that is the Giant Bomb Rock Band night.

#68 Posted by MarkOnFire (50 posts) -

First PAX as well, and I'm flying solo. Hoping to meet some folks from the GB community in Boston. I can offer Wisconsin beer secrets in exchange for video game pals.

#69 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I'm going. It'll be my third PAX.

#70 Posted by Sidfiou (66 posts) -

If I could, should I come up to Boston on Thursday? I'm not quite sure there will be another Rock Band Night the Thursday before PAX.

#71 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

@Sidfiou: I don't know if RBN will happen on Thursday, but it might be worth it just to get an early Friday start to the day.

#72 Posted by Mahonay (823 posts) -

I'm not coming Thursday this year just to save some money on the hotel. Especially since it's questionable if much will be going down Thursday night.

#73 Edited by boysef (66 posts) -
#74 Edited by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

@boysef: Two new brews this year!

#75 Edited by boysef (66 posts) -

oh my god that is AMAZING

#76 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Man I sure wish I could.

#77 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Third year of PAX East for me.

#78 Posted by therealnelsk (267 posts) -

So if I wanted to just crash the afterparties, is it still realistic to grab a hotel at this point?

#79 Posted by jaxjaggywires (69 posts) -

Ya mo be there...

#80 Posted by shinboy630 (1116 posts) -

I'll be there. First PAX, I'm kind of scared...

#81 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

@shinboy630: Don't be. PAX is super chill and there is a ton to do.

#82 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -

For the record, tickets for this year's Rock Band Night went on sale today. You can get them here. It's on Thursday night - I don't think it's 21+, but there is a lot of booze involved. Also, this:

#83 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1751 posts) -

For the record, tickets for this year's Rock Band Night went on sale today. You can get them here. It's on Thursday night - I don't think it's 21+, but there is a lot of booze involved. Also, this:

How late does that Brattle party tend to run? I'm going to PAX East for the first time but definitely won't be settled in by 8. Looks super fun though

#84 Edited by Brewmaster_Andy (517 posts) -
#85 Posted by boysef (66 posts) -

i really cant remember how long it ran last time, all i know is i was a bit wasted..

#86 Edited by PsEG (3490 posts) -

Didn't Rock Band Night start at 9 PM last year?

Regardless, the last trip for the MBTA is around midnight to 1 AM, so Rock Band Night tends to wrap up with enough time to allow people to get back to their hotels or wherever that way, rather than force a cab ride.

...unless you're waiting for a truck full of swag to savage like last year, then all bets are off. Seriously, we were going to jump the first truck that slowed down in front of the Brattle.

#87 Posted by boysef (66 posts) -

thank god for john drake and his crowd quelling swag

#88 Posted by Squill2k4 (16 posts) -

Schedule is up!

#89 Edited by EpicSteve (6439 posts) -

GiantBomb panel 9pm Friday. Be there!

#90 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -
#91 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#92 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

Who is going to the Rock Band panel at 6pm and then Jumping in line for the Giant Bomb panel?? It's cool that they are in the same theater and have a panel in between. Should make things easier.

#93 Edited by patbaer (111 posts) -

Hello GB friends,

I'm doing a panel at PAX East this year! It's called 404ing It: Breaking (Down) the Internet. It's a comedy show! It's on Saturday at 7pm at Naga! Ryan Davis is on the panel! So are Eric Pope and Chris Kohler!

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/404ing-it-breaking-down-the-internet

I'm hoping some of you guys will come out. I've been doing the show in NYC since last summer, and this will be my first time bringing it to a convention like PAX. At the very least, I booked some awesome guests.

Sorry to plug my own stuff in this thread, but I'm excited!

#94 Edited by Th3irdEye (236 posts) -

@patbaer: That sounds really awesome! Can't wait to see what it's like.

#95 Posted by Sen0r_Awes0me (74 posts) -

So just started a GB account last fall and have barely touched it due to endlessly "fun" senior seminars, but have always always had a blast at PAX East and met cool folks.

So look forward to becoming a smidge of duder before then and perhaps finding some chill folks to tool around the convention/our lovely state capital of Boston

#96 Posted by shakra (252 posts) -

I've never been to a PAX before and this year I have a booth. If anyone from GB wants to stop by and say hi I'm at booth 961.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.