Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX South 2015

Concept »

The inaugural PAX South took place January 23-25, 2015 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas.

PAX South 2015 Roll Call

• 69 results
    meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alright, so I know a lot of people are pretty weary of how the inaugural PAX in San Antonio will be, and to be honest I am a little bit too, but that didn't stop me from buying tickets for me and my friends.

My first PAX was PAX East 2014, which was pretty dumb because it was there that they announced that PAX was coming to San Antonio in 2015. I was pretty mad at first because I DROVE to Boston from San Antonio to go to PAX East. Ah well, I'm still pretty stoked to be going to another PAX, and I hope to meet some more duders from the community.

Anyways, roll call time!

Who's going? What's your name? Should we hang out? Make up a fun fact.

My name's Luis, and we should hang out! Fun Fact: Oreos are made out of recycled tires.

code3xbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By code3xbl

Now that Pax South is around 50 days away, lets give this thread a bump. Who else is going?

I'm arriving early Thursday morning so I'm up for any meetups.

I will be enforcing and can't wait to see the looks on the faces of first time Pax attendees.

Fun Fact: @jeff will be there!

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/539964146779832320

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mackgyver

So what day will Jeff have his panel? Will he be there all three days?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Me/girlfriend/brother/friend all got tickets so I'll definitely be there.

Anyone else on the staff mentioned whether they will/will not be there?

futuretuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I got a 3-day pass. I live in Austin. May not make it down there until Friday after work though.

Rickman33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple pals and I are going Saturday (which is now sold out). Anyways, my name is Derrick and we should not hang out because I'm a jerk. Fun fact: Justin Timberlake apppeared on Price Is Right and won the showcase showdown when he was only 12 years old.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll be there with a couple of duders Fri and Sat. Imagine we'll be arriving Thurs night. Maybe someone thats better than me should set up a meet up?

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By stokes

I've got Friday and Saturday passes, so I'll be there. Time I get there on Friday depends on if I end up deciding to skip work or not.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zleunamme

If Saturday and the tree day passes are sold out. Is it better to go Friday or Sunday?

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be there. It'll be my first PAX!

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be there!!!

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm there! Trying to find a Saturday pass, but if the GB panels are Friday and the Rumble is Sunday I'm okay with a day to roam around town.

mra138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will definitely be there. With my wife and two buds. Any word of a meetup afterward?

BossRobins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on a Duder meetup? I'm an Austinite driving down on Satueday and would love to see the guys.

futuretuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By futuretuesday
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he has a Jar for the Q & A

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bboymaestro

@futuretuesday: my favorite part is how unsure their roll is.

Jeff Gerstmann [Editor, Giant Bomb], Dan Ryckert [Editor, Giant Bomb], Drew Scanlon [Producer, Giant Bomb], Matt Rorie [Editor, Giant Bomb], Alex Navarro or maybe Vinny Caravella but maybe Brad Shoemaker? [Editor, Giant Bomb]

Side note: can we get some serious meetup discussions going? Do we need a new thread for that?

Krutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be there all three days, driving down from Oklahoma and I'm super cool so we should meet up!

randomatom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be there and am down for a drink up!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Gerstmann [Editor, Giant Bomb], Dan Ryckert [Editor, Giant Bomb], Drew Scanlon [Producer, Giant Bomb], Matt Rorie [Editor, Giant Bomb], Alex Navarro or maybe Vinny Caravella but maybe Brad Shoemaker? [Editor, Giant Bomb]

Side note: can we get some serious meetup discussions going? Do we need a new thread for that?

Heh, I'm sure you know, but they decided on Alex as the fourth chair. So it's gonna be Jeff, Dan, Drew, and Alex :)

Or, I see that Rorie is listed there. Jeff has only said that those four are going, but maybe this means Matt too? I'm guessing his job title is meant as a joke though, he's a product manager for CBSi :)

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bboymaestro

@amyggen said:

@bboymaestro said:

Heh, I'm sure you know, but they decided on Alex as the fourth chair. So it's gonna be Jeff, Dan, Drew, and Alex :)

Or, I see that Rorie is listed there. Jeff has only said that those four are going, but maybe this means Matt too? I'm guessing his job title is meant as a joke though, he's a product manager for CBSi :)

Alex makes sense if there's a Royal Rumble brewing. I hope Rorie is going for real, I owe that guy some serious top shelf whiskey for dealing with my ass during that first round of hires.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@bboymaestro said:

Alex makes sense if there's a Royal Rumble brewing. I hope Rorie is going for real, I owe that guy some serious top shelf whiskey for dealing with my ass during that first round of hires.

Is there any update on the Rumble? I saw some people on twitter a few days ago talking about how there wasn't going to be one because they didn't want to encroach on the actual WWE Royal Rumble that Sunday. Is your info late or am I out of the loop again?

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Name is Nick, my wife and I are going to be there all three days. It's my first PAX, so I'm pretty excited to see what it's like. I would be up for doing a meet up.

On a sidenote: Anything happening with the Royal Rumble or are there issues with watching it in a group setting?

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A friend and I are coming up from Florida for this, stoked to see the lineup.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

So is there any word on a meet up possibly after the show on Friday night?

patbaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hi friends. This is Pat Baer!

First off, info on the rumble: there is no wrestling panel. Pope will not be in attendance, and Aaron didn't know until like 2 weeks ago that he was able to go. We got something good cooking for East, don't you worry.

Secondly, come to my panel duders! It's at 3:30pm Central on Friday! http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/404ing-it-breaking-down-the-internet My guests are Jeff, Samantha Kalman, and Trin Garritano. We'll be livestreamed on twitch so you can watch it there if you're no gonna be there on Friday.

I hope to see some of you in two weeks!

tristenkw5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hey, name's Tristen, I'll be at PAX only on Saturday (sadly weekend passes were out) but I plan to be there beginning to end. Really hope I get to see the guys, would be a great start to my year.

mrhaydel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi duders!

Name's Michael. I'll be there for all 3 days with 2 of my buddies (1 of which is another fellow duder), and this is my first PAX! Pretty psyched. Fun fact: During the movie Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, you can see a brief cameo by Stephen King towards the final showdown with Dennis Hopper's character. Blink and you'll miss it!

I'm also down for some sort of meet up for sure.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bboymaestro

@patbaer: will be hitting the panel, but damn, East passes were sold out.

See you crazy kids at PAX Prime?

Edit: realized I've never said my name and all that. Hi! I'm Devin. gonna drive down 16 hours from Nashville for this bad mother. I suggest we do our meet up at a Vietnamese restaurant, because pho is the ultimate post event food, plus Viet and Thai beers for mad cheap. Any locals know any good Viet spots?

patbaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro tip- get the app guidebook.com/app/PAXSouth/

It has a venue map, a map of the exhibitors, lists the panels, and you can add panels and events to your own schedule so you don't miss anything. Very handy.

Avatar image for thedapperswindler
    thedapperswindler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in SA so I'll definitely be checking it out. The Star Citizen Town Hall is a must for me!

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello,

I am Emmanuel. I will be going Friday and Sunday. This is my first PAX and I am excited to go. A bonus is that its happening in my home city of San Antonio. I look forward to the panels and meeting people there.

JDP83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOO! My first PAX! I will be there with my wife, a friend, and my brand new baby definitely on Saturday all day... maybe Friday... maybe Sunday. Depends on whether or not I'm able to convince my wife to let me get more than the 1-day pass I got earlier last year.

In any case - super excited and looking forward to meeting people there and actually getting a decent number of Streetpasses for once.

mderbs311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mderbs311

The name is Mike and I will be attending all day friday with my girlfriend! This is also my first PAX and I am BEYOND stoked!!! Im actually debating between trying to meet the guys in person, just cuz, meeting idols and what not...but i will DEF be at the panel!!! Would also be down for a meet up of like minded duders!!!

randomatom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody local have any good ideas for a bar or restaurant to meet up?

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I'll need some local help on this, but by my quick research we got a few late nite spots we could meet at:

1. Rosarios-looks like a good Tex-Mex joint open til 11

2. Mi Tierra-Open 24 hours, also it's a bakery so you can get some fresh ass bread.

3. Big Lou's Pizza-A bit of a drive from downtown, but that could be good for avoiding crowds, also pizza.

I mean, this is going off a one off search on Urbanspoon, so if anyone knows a good spot near the city center, speak now. I may also go ahead and make a new forum topic expressly for deciding a meetup, because we're coming down to the wire here.

futuretuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NeuralLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hey Duders, I'll be there all three days.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OllyOxenFree

People are recommending Whataburger as a place to dine at? Oh, those poor future sodium-fueled hearts...

mra138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By mra138

@bboymaestro: Big Lou's on a Friday night is the exact opposite of avoiding crowds. But I'm down for anywhere that sells booze.

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the convention is right next to the river walk which is littered with bars and places to eat. Most of the dedicated restaurants close around 10pm to 11pm, and the bars close around 2am. Big Lou's is kind of far out of the way, plus it is always crowded especially weekends.

I guess the thing to figure out is what place can accommodate, however many of us will be there and will not be overrun with other people from the convention.

Sidenote: Whataburger...HA!

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I'm getting in Thursday night, so I'll try scoping out places within walking distance then, but if anyone wants to nail something down now, let me know, because I'm inviting errybody I know.

Also not to be too cavalier, but if anyone or their plus ones can't go Saturday, I will buy your Saturday pass at a good rate, and give you a homemade Vietnamese sandwich as a bonus!

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DannyHibiki

Driving over Friday morning from Austin with my husband and staying all weekend. If there's a duder meetup I will definitely be there....unless it's on Thursday night I guess.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I'll need some local help on this, but by my quick research we got a few late nite spots we could meet at:

2. Mi Tierra-Open 24 hours, also it's a bakery so you can get some fresh ass bread.

3. Big Lou's Pizza-A bit of a drive from downtown, but that could be good for avoiding crowds, also pizza.

I mean, this is going off a one off search on Urbanspoon, so if anyone knows a good spot near the city center, speak now. I may also go ahead and make a new forum topic expressly for deciding a meetup, because we're coming down to the wire here.

Mi Tierra is ok. They've got a bakery. It will be busy, but it's a very big place. Lots of tourist stuff in that area and other restaurants, so you can get your sugar skulls and other souvenirs there. I'd skip the pizza place though since I assume people aren't going to want to do a ton of driving. Mexican Manhattan is also acceptable to good and accessible from both the street and the river walk. The whole area is for tourists and conventions so there are lots of restaurants at tourism friendly prices.

The Pearl Brewery is a cluster of vaguely upscale restaurants and apartments/condos for wealthy people in their late 20s. It's ok though the selectively upscale appearance stops at the property line

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey guys, my name is Jon!

Since I almost forgot about this the 3 day passes were gone, but I'll be there ALL DAY Friday and Sunday soaking the experience in as much as I can. I just found that the friend that I am staying with is working camera for some of the events as well.

I'm all for a meet-up.

aots16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I'm really bummed out tickets are sold out and others are selling with a huge Mark up plus shipping. I'm local to San Antonio and was super excited to see the gb duders. Here's hoping I can get a pass or two.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bboymaestro said:

Mi Tierra is ok. They've got a bakery. It will be busy, but it's a very big place. Lots of tourist stuff in that area and other restaurants, so you can get your sugar skulls and other souvenirs there. I'd skip the pizza place though since I assume people aren't going to want to do a ton of driving. Mexican Manhattan is also acceptable to good and accessible from both the street and the river walk. The whole area is for tourists and conventions so there are lots of restaurants at tourism friendly prices.

The Pearl Brewery is a cluster of vaguely upscale restaurants and apartments/condos for wealthy people in their late 20s. It's ok though the selectively upscale appearance stops at the property line

Dope action. I'll scope stuff out this week.

zombie16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll be there!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.