Payday The Heist: No Mercy DLC is a pequel to left 4 dead.

• 53 results
#1 Edited by falserelic (5312 posts) -

So value team up with overkill to make this DLC as a prequel to Left 4 dead. I guess its going to show how the outbreak started. Interesting to see how it turnsout. What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by crazyleaves (640 posts) -

Seriously?

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

#4 Posted by TheSlothKing (329 posts) -

What?

#5 Posted by falserelic (5312 posts) -

@crazyleaves: Yep I read it on the forums on the payday the heist site.

#6 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

That sounds pretty interesting. I kind of want to buy Payday now.

#7 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

WUBUWUBUWUWBBUWBUBWUBUBUBUUB

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Time to re download payday

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

So I mean...will zombies actually show up in this at all? Is this a canonical story? Are they saying that Mercy Hospital is ground zero and that the reason it broke out was because of a heist?

I'm sure no one can actually answer those questions except the developers and the game's DLC itself. However, this is just kind of insane to think of!

#10 Posted by The_Nubster (2045 posts) -

That doesn't interest me in the slightest. It makes me care a bit less about L4D, actually, because I really enjoy the hyperfocus of L4D, and the mystery of its story.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

How does Valve feel about this?

#12 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

WAIT, WHAT THE FUCK?!

#13 Posted by AndrewB (7482 posts) -

Not interesting at all. It was kind of awesome that Left 4 Dead existed with only little hints to what happened, and the actual story was totally irrelevant. It's just zombies: kill them.

#14 Posted by Irvandus (2811 posts) -

What the hell?

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23857 posts) -

*Record scratch*

Whaaaaaaaa?

#16 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I'm pretty sure they are ok with it. Since they helped make it or at least gave the ok. Their name is in the trailer.

#17 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Valve's already come out and debunked/denied Overkill's prequel rumor- this is most likely fake.

Just search 'Left 4 Dead prequel rumor' on google- and you'll see news of Valve's denial all over the place.

#18 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I never heard of this Value developer you speak of.

#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

Valve's already come out and debunked/denied Overkill's prequel rumor- this is most likely fake.

Just search 'Left 4 Dead prequel rumor' on google- and you'll see news of Valve's denial all over the place.

This was uploaded today by Overkill's official YouTube channel for the game. If it's fake, this is a really elaborate length to go to for a joke.

#20 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Gabe Newell probably saw that rumor and said- "OH HELL NAW".

#21 Posted by falserelic (5312 posts) -

Its not fake its real and its happening and its random.

#22 Posted by Redbullet685 (6024 posts) -

Seems legit. And Payday: The Heist is half off this week on PSN. Weird though.

#23 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

This was uploaded today by Overkill's official YouTube channel for the game. If it's fake, this is a really elaborate length to go to for a joke.

I've actually done a little more searching around- and determined that Valve's denial was only regarding the prequel as an actual new game, which was how the rumor was originally interpreted. They haven't denied DLC apparently- so my bad. :P

#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

What in the...What?

#25 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

#26 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

This is so random. I can't think of another case where two completely different game franchises from two different developer/publishers bridge together to form one series.

Moderator Online
#27 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Oh boy, I hope this justifies my purchase of Payday, even if it's some fan-made mod.

#28 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

Wow... just wow.

#29 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Since Payday was inspired by L4D it makes some sense. I hope this will mean we are going to get new campain in Left, even if its based on stuff from payday.

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

@Ravenlight said:

I'm pretty sure they are ok with it. Since they helped make it or at least gave the ok. Their name is in the trailer.

Neato. Maybe I'll actually end up picking up the game then.

#31 Posted by Irvandus (2811 posts) -

@N7: That made my day.

#32 Posted by STUVNING (139 posts) -

Not to be a dick but, Overkill aren't the people I want to flesh out the L4D-universe. It probably won't be very integral to the franchise in the end though.

#33 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Look guys. Here's the only important question we need to ask right now:

Will we finally see Chicago Ted?

#34 Posted by Choffy (440 posts) -

@STUVNING said:

Not to be a dick but, Overkill aren't the people I want to flesh out the L4D-universe. It probably won't be very integral to the franchise in the end though.

You know Valve is involved with it too, right? Their logo pops up within the first 3 seconds in the trailer.

#35 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2193 posts) -

NO FUCKING WAY.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6322 posts) -

Crazy... no more crazy than porting L4D1 to L4D2 one map at a time, though, I guess.

#37 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

holy shit, what

#38 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Take over a Hospital, smart.

#39 Edited by STUVNING (139 posts) -

@Choffy: Yeah I kind of phrased that poorly. I just feel Valve are a step above when it comes to gameplay. Didn't really enjoy playing Payday at all.

#40 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man, this is fucking weird.

#41 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

What is with the recent surge in thread title typos?

#42 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

This can't be legit.

Seriously.

I refuse to believe this is real. In any way.

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

That doesn't interest me in the slightest. It makes me care a bit less about L4D, actually, because I really enjoy the hyperfocus of L4D, and the mystery of its story.

You know there is virtually no chance Valve considers this canon to whatever barely-there story Left 4 Dead has, right?

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Why? :/

#45 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Now if only Payday was a better game...

#46 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Don't get TOO excited yet- the word I've been seeing on this is that the DLC is going to be a setting crossover only- not a gameplay crossover.

I.E: No zombies. Just a L4D based environment with standard Payday gameplay.

There is now an addition to the rumor going around though- there may also be a Payday-inspired level in the works for L4D2.

#47 Posted by The_Nubster (2045 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@The_Nubster said:

You know there is virtually no chance Valve considers this canon to whatever barely-there story Left 4 Dead has, right?

As long as it isn't canon and is just inspired by a level from L4D, as some of the other posts are suggesting. I don't mind cross-overs at all, but if this is an attempt to link the two worlds or provide context for L4D, then colour me unhappy about it. Otherwise, neutral gray is an appropriate colour.

#48 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

You literally stole everything I wanted to say, including the underline, size of text, and number of A's

#49 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

No its not. A writer said it might be based in the hospital but its more of a Easter egg then anything else. 

#50 Posted by Vod_Crack (704 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@The_Nubster said:

As long as it isn't canon and is just inspired by a level from L4D, as some of the other posts are suggesting. I don't mind cross-overs at all, but if this is an attempt to link the two worlds or provide context for L4D, then colour me unhappy about it. Otherwise, neutral gray is an appropriate colour.

Chet from Valve said that this is non-canon. "This is a 100% Overkill made mission for Payday: Heist simply set in no mercy hospital from the Left 4 Dead series. It is not telling the origins of the Infection and is not canon. There is a little cameo from one of the L4D characters (the comic should give you a hint) and a fun little easter egg with a payoff later in Left 4 Dead. Just us having some fun with a studio we are friends with and who have also made a great co-op game." From Kotaku

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.