Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

27-inch monitor - Still worth it at 1080p?

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

Like the title says. Thinking about getting a 27inch monitor, but unsure as to whether or not it would be worth it if it was at 1080p, as I've seen people bitching about them not looking great because of the relative lack of pixel density at that size and resolution. Its main use will be for my PS3 and blu-rays, and I'll keep using the 24" I have for my PC. Not considering any higher resolution, as most PS3 games that are upscaled from 720p don't look great already on the 24" at 1080p. Any help from people who own a 27" would be mahoosively appreciated, cheers.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Devildoll

if you are going to be sitting at the same distance as from your 24", and the panel is of the same quality, then, the picture would be "worse" on the 27".

if you move it a bit further away, it'd probably work fine.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

All the things I've read basically state anything over 32" go to 1080p and anything below 720p

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Poppduder

I use a 32" TV as a monitor in 1080p, but like devildoll said, it's all about distance.  I have the thing set way back on a rather large desk, and its enjoyable.   That being said, if you're going to be very close to it, then I don't recommend it.  It's been nice for me, though, because I don't hunch over to get closer to read things, putting less stress on my neck and back and improving my posture. I can even kick back on my futon (yeah, I have a futon in my office) and still game and watch movies.. even do some non-reading-intensive internet browsing from a little further away.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By markini6

@Oscar__Explosion said:

All the things I've read basically state anything over 32" go to 1080p and anything below 720p

Just to clarify it will be a Monitor that I'm buying, which means my only choice is 1080p or higher.

For a better idea, I sit about 2 feet back from my current 24" when watching stuff and playing PS3 games, and that distance would probably increase to 2.5 or 3 feet with a bigger screen. At that distance, need I worry about pixel density?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

The larger the screen the higher resolution you want it to have.

I have a 27" 1080p monitor and it looks fine for gaming, I don't think you need to worry about reduced pixel density until you get to huge TV sizes, like 60"+ or if you are using a smaller monitor for some sort of high grade digital art/photo editing etc.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tylea002

I have a 27 inch 1080 monitor.

It looks gorgeous.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By scalpel

My 27-inch is 2560x1440 and it looks good, but I don't think I would like less than that.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeanFoster

I have a 27 inch monitor and have found if I can't run a game at 2560x1440 it's not worth it. For example, I can either play The Witcher 2 or Farcry 3 at Very High settings on my monitor at 2560x1440 or Ultra at 1920x1080 and it ends up looking better to play on the lower graphical settings at a higher resolution.

I'm super picky about image clarity though. Your mileage may vary!

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hughesman

I have a 27'' at 1080p and i think it looks fantastic. Just sit back a bit (which you need to do anyway) and you'll be fine. Plus there are other things to think about when it comes to image quality that would, in my opinion, make a bigger difference then splitting hairs on the resolution.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

@Oscar__Explosion said:

That's really a load of bullshit to be honest. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 720P and 1080P Blu-Ray at the same distance away from a 42" TV, let's say sitting 6 feet back.

Always buy a higher quality screen/panel over resolution. I used to have a 37" 1080P LCD, it was ASS compared to my old 42" but 720P plasma.

Nowadays though, you don't really pay a premium for 1080P, so it's a non-issue.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By markini6

OK, thanks for the replies guys, going to go ahead with it, when I finally decide what brand and panel type I should go for (IPS, TN, MVA). Cheers!

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zenmastah

get a 23-24inch monitor and downsample games from higher resolutions, works like a charm.

NumptyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NumptyX

I went with this last year and it's been great, I use it my 360, pc gaming and for watching movies. I know it's not the best monitor out there but for the price the quality is excellent.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-062-BQ

Hope it helps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I have a 24" 1080p led monitor. perfect size for a pc monitor. It has only 2ms latency.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MudMan

I am amazed at the level of nonsense in this thread in a single page, from the question itself being posed to all the answers.

So raise your hands everyone in this thread that has a 1080p TV of over 32 inches. I know my hand is raised. And yes, the closer you are and the bigger the screen, the more noticeable the individual pixels, but this has zero impact in gaming, short of allowing more pixels for your screen space AA solutions to avoid having problems with small objects and thin edges (you can even downsample from 2K to 1080p if you also happen to have overspent massively on your graphics card, as someone mentioned).

2K resolutions are fit for projecting movies in cinema screens, the only possible reason to want them on anything smaller than a living room TV is text clarity, which can help reduce eye strain when working, or the fact that one happens to find himself with more money and snobbery than one can handle. For anything resembling a CG or real life picture, anything below 32 inches, maybe even 40, looks great at 1080p.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlashDance

I use a 27" monitor and I wouldn't want to go back. It looks perfectly fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.