Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

32-bit or 64-bit? Help please.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

Should I get a 32-bit processor or a 64-bit processor? I was going to get a 64-bit but a friend advised me not to because alot of programs and websites don't support it. Is this true, and should I not get a 64-bit because of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-597fb42f4841d
    deactivated-597fb42f4841d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Get the 64bit processor. 64bit CPUs are 100% backwards compatible with 32bit code and 32bit Operating systems. the only problem is with 64bit windows, some of your devices may or may not have working drivers. If you're using pretty standard stuff though, you should have zero problems with a 64bit OS.

Even if you aren't gonna run 64 bit windows, get the 64 bit processor to future-proof yourself.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tearhead

But is the thing about certain sites like youtube not working right on a 64-bit processor?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

There aren't many processors in todays age that aren't 64bit that i know of so your best bet is to go with a 64bit processor as for youtube not working? not that i've ever heard of.
    P.S: 64bit windows isn't worthwhile theres no real support for 64bit even now after what 4 years after its release? most stuff doesn't even support dual core chips yet though get one if you can dual core or quad core is a great thing.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By twenty0ne

I'd go with 32 for now. It's generally more compatible with a larger number of hardware/software types.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tearhead

I'm just afraid I'm gonna buy it then it doesn't work with certain software and stuff.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Tearhead said:
    "I'm just afraid I'm gonna buy it then it doesn't work with certain software and stuff."
    there is not much that isn't compatibible with 64bit processors since the very hardware inside them and drivers are backwards compatible the only thing that possibly wont be is some of the oldest stuff we're talking about 15 years or older.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The 64bit has gotten alot better in the last few years and alot more supported, plus if you get  the 64bit OP you can get up to(or more?) 8Gb of ram, which really isn`t needed but if you have the money you can.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By normajean777

what the hell is the difference between 64bit- 32bit?

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Foil_Charizard

the type of processor has nothing to do with specific websites running properly

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Black_Raven

64bit deffinitlynormajean777 said:

"what the hell is the difference between 64bit- 32bit?"
      64 bit CPUs are based on 64 bit wide registers, data and address buses.
    yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yorro

32Bit - Better Compatibility "Presently" with 32Bit Versions

64Bit - Future Proof and Backwards Compatible with 32BIt Versions

Note: Only 32Bit is better with 32Bit Versions

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agent_lost

OK first thing, there only 64-bit CPU on the market right now, the only 32-bit CPU are used the low performance Eee PC. There real question if you want to run a 64Bit or a 32Bit OS.
    On the side note i bet that the next windows will only be a 64bit OS, i just call it a natural progresssion.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By AaronBelfast

I'm not a tech genius but Ill go with the higher number.

64-bit.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By OGCartman

If you plan to use 8GB of ram, then 64
    If you plan to use 4GB- of ram, than 32

Kuttermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kuttermax

Vista is available in both 32bit and 64bit versions.  Depending on which version of Vista you purchase, you might actually get both versions on the disk.  An exception to this is are the OEM versions, which usually just come with one or the other.

Initially driver support was very bad for the 64bit version of Vista.  It has improved substantially but there are still some issues.  Apparently TV tuner cards still do not function well under the 64bit version.  Also, some older games don't run well under 64bit Vista. 

That being said, any "Games for Windows" certified titles will run under 64bit Vista - so moving forward there shouldn't be many problems with new titles.

What are the advantages of 64bit Windows?  Mainly a slight performance increase and the ability to use more RAM.  32bit Vista is limited to about 3.5GB, but you can easily set up an 8GB machine with 64bit Vista.

I'm still running 32Bit Vista, but likely will make the switch to 64Bit the next time I do a clean install.

Hope this helps.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It isn't a problem with a 64 bit processors, its a problem with 64 bit OS's. If you have a 32 bit OS with a 64 bit processor you'll be fine. No compatibility issues.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By dantey

Go with the 64 bit. If I remember my lessons right, then the bit count indicates how many bits of info the processor can work with at one tact. In theory, a 32 bit 500 MHz processor can handle 2 gigs at one second. So a 64 bit 500 MHz should handle 4 gigs. But that is only in theory. There is no 2 times increase in speed. But still, a 64 bit processor is faster than a 32 bit.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tearhead
    Foil_Charizard said:
    "the type of processor has nothing to do with specific websites running properly"
    I firured so, don't know what my friend was talkin about.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tearhead
    Kuttermax said:
    "Vista is available in both 32bit and 64bit versions.  Depending on which version of Vista you purchase, you might actually get both versions on the disk.  An exception to this is are the OEM versions, which usually just come with one or the other.

Initially driver support was very bad for the 64bit version of Vista.  It has improved substantially but there are still some issues.  Apparently TV tuner cards still do not function well under the 64bit version.  Also, some older games don't run well under 64bit Vista. 

That being said, any "Games for Windows" certified titles will run under 64bit Vista - so moving forward there shouldn't be many problems with new titles.

What are the advantages of 64bit Windows?  Mainly a slight performance increase and the ability to use more RAM.  32bit Vista is limited to about 3.5GB, but you can easily set up an 8GB machine with 64bit Vista.

I'm still running 32Bit Vista, but likely will make the switch to 64Bit the next time I do a clean install.

Hope this helps."
    Thanks Kuttermax, and everyone for your input. I have decided to go with Vista 64-bit OS. Better to go to the future than linger in the past.
    Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Davin

I'm running with a 64bit cpu, 64bit Windows Vista, and 8GB ram. No regrets. The only issue I had was with my tv tuner software, but besides that it's all good.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VACkillers

yea just to re-itterate on what everyones saying in here, almost ALL CPUS now are 64bit, you'd be hard pressed to find a 32bit CPU these days especially brand new cpus. If it was because you were looking at AMD Athlon 64 over Intel core 2 duo, just because the intel may not say 64bit in the name, it IS! 64 bit.
    64bit CPUs have absolutely not problem running website like youtubes, if it does, its 99% have nothing to do with your CPU and more then likely the website itself is having problems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen... buy the 64 bit chip..... It's 100% backwards compatible with 32bit code. I don't mean Xbox 360 or ps3 backwards compatible... I mean some Wii shit. 100%... not 99%, 100%. Get the 64 bit chip. I've used 64 bit vista on my Core 2 Duo for several months, and all programs and websites worked fine. And to that dude who said 64 bit windows is useless, try running 64 bit vista with 4gb+ ram... the thing flies. 32 bit windows can only allocate up to 2GB of ram, 64bit windows can allocate more than any motherboard will every support in the next decade. Besides, if you don't get a 64 bit chip, what are you getting? only out of date processors cannot run 64 bit code. Do yourself a favour and stop worrying, get an intel e8400, or something those things are the tits.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VACkillers

lol touchmybox....  nice post! and also very correct.... e8400 is what i'm going to be getting personally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VACkillers said:
    "lol touchmybox....  nice post! and also very correct.... e8400 is what i'm going to be getting personally"
    Yeah, that's what I'm running, it's a nice chip with quite a bit of L2 Cache. Me likes :)
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Cirdain

Get a 64-bit processor and get 32-bit windows vista or XP.
    Tearhead
    said:
    "But is the thing about certain sites like youtube not working right on a 64-bit processor?"
    this has not happened to me once. If it does happen to you get Firefox.
    Tearhead
    said:
    "Thanks Kuttermax, and everyone for your input. I have decided to go with Vista 64-bit OS. Better to go to the future than linger in the past."
    If I knew that Vista would give so many problems. I would have stuck with XP.
    P.S.  If it works for you fine. I wish I had your set up.

What are your guys vista system experience and performance score mine is err... wait.. a sec... control panel... system software... system... performance information and tools...
    ah here it is mine is 5.0 my highest is my graphics card at 5.9
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By xruntime

Vista doesn't have problems. It's getting a bad rep for no good reason.

SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SimpleBear

That's an odd question. Most of today's CPU are 64-bit supported. If you're talking about 64-bit OS on the other hand, you're safe if most of your hardware is relatively new. 64-bit support in driver and software are solid as of now... I myself mainly use Vista 64-bit and it meets all my needs just fine. I'm not sure where your friend got the compatibility web issues information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.