Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

42 inch plasma tv vs pc monitor

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey I use a 42 Inch plasma tv for my PC how much better would a genuine pc monitor be?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

I used to do this as well. A monitor would be better in that it has lower input lag and a crisper image due to the higher pixel density. If these things don't matter to you then stick with the TV.

Reading text and making 360 no-scope headshots would be easier on a monitor, is what I'm saying.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cale said:

I used to do this as well. A monitor would be better in that it has lower input lag and a crisper image due to the higher pixel density. If these things don't matter to you then stick with the TV.

This guy knows whats up. Unless you spent hours researching your TV, the image lag and input lag is going to be the biggest difference between a monitor and TV. Still images on the plasma will look nicer, but fast motion will look better on the monitor, again, as long as you do your research.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Depends on viewing distance. Are you sitting at a desk or on a couch? Also some games are designed better for a monitor (like RTS).

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, typically you're sitting so far away from a tv that you don't really notice the lower pixel density. So it's kind of a wash in that area. But I absolutely love playing on my 42" plasma. And it's only 720p. It's not my primary source, as I do have an actual monitor that I use most of the time.

But yeah, unless you're only sitting a few feet from your tv screen, pixel density really doesn't matter.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Depends on the game, If you are playing with a controller anyway TV is great.

First person shooters with a mouse and RTS suffer a little bit for me on a TV (especially competitive), but are still totally do-able. If you are sitting close to your TV, you will probably find a monitor will have an improved image.

mrGREEK360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrGREEK360

I play on my 60" 3DTV 1080p at the foot of my bed, and its fine for even running windows, for me at least. I use a controller if supported and keyboard and mouse on the bed for games like ARMA 3 Waste Land, DayZ, works great for me IMO as I love my 7.1 surround sound system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.