Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

4670 good for HTPC?

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

Do you guys think that for an HTPC that is going to be playnign Bluray movies and playing HDTV that an HD4670 hould be a good card for the job? 

I was originally going to go for a 4830 but decided to lesser down because its "just Bluray"
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darkgoth678

bumb?

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Eelcire

For a HTPC that should be fine. The key parts you'll want are a good TV-tuner card and plenty of HDD space if you're going to take full advantage of having a HTPC. What software will you be using to run your HTPC?

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darkgoth678

Im planning to put Home Premium 32-bit on it, and as far as the hard drive space, its going to be connected to a server and im planning for it to record to the server so that part is ok.

As far as a Tv tuner, Newegg reviews make it seem like ALL TV tuner suck but I picked this one out.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eelcire

Avery does make good tuners, and that one looks farily decent; you may also want to check out the Hauppauge 2250. The version I linked is the more expensive variety as it comes with a Media Center remote (my old remote didn't have the little dot for entering in HD channels). However, at the present time the Hauppauge 2250 is better suited to work with the upcoming Windows 7. If you can wait a little bit longer, I'd recommend downloading the public release canidate of Windows 7 Microsoft is supposedly releasing over the summer.

Media Center in Windows 7 is improved over the Vista counterpart, and the biggest feature for me is the addition of the Movies option. Movies will read VIDEO_TS folders as though they are mounted DVDs within your computer. This means you could use a DVD-ripping program to rip your DVD collection and store them all on your HDD.

I've found the Green Button an invaluable resource for setting up HTPCs.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkgoth678

oh yeah i forgot, of course im going to put windows 7 on it if it comes out by the time i build it. That an awesome feature i didn't know about Windows 7, i knew that Media center was going to be improved but never knew the detail.

That Hauppauge tuner looks great im going to change my mind for that one. Oh, do you know if I get cable, and i put in straight in the tuner, does that work out well or am i just limited to OTA HD channels?
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eelcire

Yeah, the Media Center is Windows 7 is much improved, with many new features. For OTA HD channels, that requires an antenna for picking up HD signals; maybe you're thinking of the QAM channels over cable? The Hauppauge (and the Avery) will pick up unencrypted QAM HD channels from the cable TV provider you subscribe through. How many channels you get vary by region. At minimum you should be able to get the standard brodcast stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox). Past that depends on you cable provider and the driver support from the TV tuner card.

The Hauppauge I linked has better QAM support in Windows 7, which is why I had picked that card out for myself.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkgoth678

oh ok, thanks for clearing that QAM thing up for me. that makes much more sense now. That really stinks though, cause if you sign up for a cable provider, then that means that if you pay for the 200+ channels then in your tuner you might not get the full 200+ channels.

actually, you wont get only the encrypted HD channels right? but you will get all of the standard def stuff right? 
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eelcire

The TV tuner card will pick up all standard cable stations and unencrypted QAM stations. It's the encrypted QAM stations that require additional hardware, usually provided through the company providing the cable service. I believe this is where a cable card would be used, though I have not worked with this type of setup myself. I currently just have a standard cable package with a few unencrypted QAM stations.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkgoth678

hmm... ok then...

hey i was just looking, what do you think of an HD3450? it claims in the specs its able to play back HD content. what worries me is the fact that it will be laggy or choppy.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eelcire

Reading the reviews at Newegg, it seems that it can play Blu-ray movies fine; the main concern for this card would be heat, and many of the reviewers (including the positive ones) said that this card ran pretty hot even idling. Having a fan-less heatsink can be an advantage in that there is one less mechanical device to fail, and fans certainly let you know when they're dying. A combination of a good CPU and GPU are what's needed to Blu-ray playback. Also, be sure you have a good power supply to support all these devices.

Edit: My own HTPC has a PNY nVidia 9800GT 1GB DDR3; the HTPC also is my gaming machine and is not hooked directly up to my TV. Instead, I'm using my Xbox360 as a Media Center extender.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkgoth678
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eelcire

Actually, it was a great RAM deal that was the reason my friend and I had upgraded our 6-year old PCs (that and our PCs were old). The setup on newegg you linked looks quite nice, and with a server backend to host your files you'll have plenty of space for adding whatever. Good luck on you setup!

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkgoth678

Here's the server if your interested in those specs.

2 sets of 4 250GB hard drives in RAID 5. one for games and one for Media. The MyBooks are to back up each RAID set every 15 days or so. 

Im thinking 2 Xeons is a bit much  for data... let alone only 3 or 4 computers, perhaps ill size down to a single Xeon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.