500 Dollar PC Rig of The Month: February

Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

Howdy y'all! I thought i'd get this here blog in before the month's end. I have to say that she's a much more purrty pc than the last one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mobo: ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel $69.99 Newegg

Cpu: Intel Core i3-2100 $120 Amazon

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz $22 Amazon (can get 8gb if you want, add $26 to total)

Hdd: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM $86 Amazon

Gpu: XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 $95 w/ rebate Amazon

Psu: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W $40 Amazon

Tower: NZXT Technologies Source 210 $40 Amazon

Total Cost of Ownership: $473 ($499 with 8gb of ram)

Looking back EDITED: Honestly, I had little free time when i made this build. So when i made this section i just wanted to Fill it with words and GTFO. Now i'm actually going to fill it with useful words and ideas. My first thing i need to say is that this is a budget PC for people that can't necessarily drop big money on their PC. If you feel you can save more money for your PC please do so. Secondly, to give you an idea of the capability of this GPU here are some numbers and titles. Crysis 2 on high settings (DX9) at 1080p, 40FPS. Dirt 3 ultra settings 4x AA at 1080p, 35 FPS. Like Someone has said later on in the comments, I would suggest a lower res screen with this build, but you can go 1080p and play most of your games on medium or high. Google the card to get a better idea of what it can do. Third, check out your local computer hardware stores. Some of them can give you pretty good deals on higher end hardware that could keep to this budget. Finally, this is just a suggested build. Modify it to suit your needs like splurging on a better GPU, or attaching a kite to it. This has received more attention than i ever expected, so thanks for your time and I'll see you again later this month.

#1 Edited by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

Howdy y'all! I thought i'd get this here blog in before the month's end. I have to say that she's a much more purrty pc than the last one.

Mobo: ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel $69.99 Newegg

Cpu: Intel Core i3-2100 $120 Amazon

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz $22 Amazon (can get 8gb if you want, add $26 to total)

Hdd: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM $86 Amazon

Gpu: XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 $95 w/ rebate Amazon

Psu: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W $40 Amazon

Tower: NZXT Technologies Source 210 $40 Amazon

Total Cost of Ownership: $473 ($499 with 8gb of ram)

Looking back EDITED: Honestly, I had little free time when i made this build. So when i made this section i just wanted to Fill it with words and GTFO. Now i'm actually going to fill it with useful words and ideas. My first thing i need to say is that this is a budget PC for people that can't necessarily drop big money on their PC. If you feel you can save more money for your PC please do so. Secondly, to give you an idea of the capability of this GPU here are some numbers and titles. Crysis 2 on high settings (DX9) at 1080p, 40FPS. Dirt 3 ultra settings 4x AA at 1080p, 35 FPS. Like Someone has said later on in the comments, I would suggest a lower res screen with this build, but you can go 1080p and play most of your games on medium or high. Google the card to get a better idea of what it can do. Third, check out your local computer hardware stores. Some of them can give you pretty good deals on higher end hardware that could keep to this budget. Finally, this is just a suggested build. Modify it to suit your needs like splurging on a better GPU, or attaching a kite to it. This has received more attention than i ever expected, so thanks for your time and I'll see you again later this month.

#2 Edited by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

Great budget rig. It kinda stinks that going with a 1TB HDD has become so expensive now. I remember getting my 1TB caviar black for around the same price 6 months ago. At least they are coming down.

#3 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

@Cronus42: Yea, it is a pretty big bummer when trying to do this. Word on the internet streets is that the prices should return to normalcy later this year. Honestly, I've never owned a 1TB Hdd until a week ago. I have no idea what I'm gonna fill it with cause I use Spotify for music, which is what most people fill Hdds with apparently.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6227 posts) -

@A_Deep_Mushroom: My Steam folder is over 500GB, so that's what mine is full with.

#5 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Shit, I can't believe I forgot that... *facepalm*

#6 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@A_Deep_Mushroom: Nice. I was thinking about building a new PC for my in-laws and this saves me some. I also think I can save some more by cutting out the GPU, All they really use a computer for is Internet and pictures, and the tower.

Thanks

#7 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

@Mordukai: Glad I could help duder. If you want to make it cheaper, you could go with a Intel Pentium G620 Dual Core 2.6 GHz processor instead. The processor I choose for this build is for increased gaming performance. That there dual core should be more than enough for the task at hand. Only use the 4gb verson of this build and you could also buy windows while keeping the cost at $500.

#8 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@A_Deep_Mushroom: Nice. I was thinking about building a new PC for my in-laws and this saves me some. I also think I can save some more by cutting out the GPU, All they really use a computer for is Internet and pictures, and the tower.

Thanks

If they don't game, get a mobo that has decent on board graphics and get maybe an i5 to make it more future proof.

#9 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Awesome budget build, duder!

#10 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@Mordukai: Is that Mark Kermode? Why...why do that..
#11 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@A_Deep_Mushroom: You could replace that GPU with a slightly faster 6790 and still be below $500. Other than that, a very solid budget build. Shame the CPU isn't overclockable, but even at stock clocks, it's pretty good for the price.

#12 Posted by act26 (76 posts) -

Glad I found this thread!

#13 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

Are the i3's even worth it for more than desktop computing and light multimedia? I mean the 2500K's are still pretty expensive from what I last saw. Also, HDD prices shot through the roof right around the time I was thinking of building a rig.

Anyone else have any comments on the i3's or can you give some performance impressions?

Anyway, nice build nonetheless!

#14 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

@A_Deep_Mushroom said:

@AlexW00d: Shit, I can't believe I forgot that... *facepalm*

On the other hand how many of the games that take up 8GB you need to have installed at the same time?

#15 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@WickedCobra03: Yes.

#16 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@A_Deep_Mushroom: I've been looking to build my first PC for gaming and for streaming video content online. The video they have on Tested.com for the $1500 rig is great but I can't drop that kind of cash right now. $500 seems much better.

#17 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

This is great! I'm looking into building a desktop when I finish school & get a job (and hopefully move out) and I'll absolutely keep this in mind. Might tweak a couple things to make it more powerful but other than that...

#18 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

@Mordukai: @mosdl: Naw, The on chip processors should be good enough for photos and internet. Anyways, you can never really future proof a machine.

@WickedCobra03: Due to the budget constants, the i3 is the best processer that can be bought. The i3 is still pretty good for the price. I would suggest the i5 under ideal conditions.

#19 Posted by Zelyre (1166 posts) -

@WickedCobra03 said:

Are the i3's even worth it for more than desktop computing and light multimedia? I mean the 2500K's are still pretty expensive from what I last saw. Also, HDD prices shot through the roof right around the time I was thinking of building a rig. Anyone else have any comments on the i3's or can you give some performance impressions? Anyway, nice build nonetheless!

i3 is 2 physical cores with hyper threading, so it will show up as 4 threads. i5 2500k has 4 physical cores with no hyperthreading. I'd rather have real cores than virtual ones.

The sandybridge i3's are pretty decent, but the 2500k will perform much better in multi-threaded games.

Not only that, but the 2500k is easy to overclock whereas the i3's overclocking options are very very limited.

If you have a Microcenter near you, I believe the i5 2500k is currently $169.

#20 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

@Zelyre: Nice, I've never heard of microcenter before. They have some great prices for PC components. You could use this same build and add a i5 2400 and still come up with the same price. The only bad thing is that it's only available in store, and it doesn't seem like they're in every state.

#21 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

This is amazing. You are doing God's work. I've convinced my friend to build this PC so he can get a gaming rig. I'm sure he will be pleased with that result.

#22 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Don't forget, people, while this is a great budget build, it's just that--a budget build. Don't expect great frame rates with high settings at 1080p. If you're also buying a monitor along with the build, seriously consider a 1680x1050 display, so you'll be able to play games at native res with better settings and frame rates than at 1080.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.