800-1000 pc now or wait for ps4?

Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: 800-1000 pc now or wait for ps4? (145 votes)

PC 63%
PS4 37%
#1 Edited by itsVASH (172 posts) -

<p>So I've been wanting to get a PC for some time now but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a mid range PC now with new consoles on the way, I kind of want a pc since havnt had one since I built one for half life 2 so long ass time ago, but if you guys suggest a PC please help out with specs wise as long ad I'm told what to buy I can figure it out from there and if ps4 i guess I'll just wait, thanks everyone.</p>

#2 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I think it's impossible to make the call before more is known about the PS4. Also, in a lot of way this is like comparing apples to oranges.

#3 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

Yeah, I'd wait until either more info on the PS4 comes out or at least until more is revealed so you have a better idea of what you're getting. Then by that time some better stuff might even come out for PC.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

Well as long as they put Killzone on PC, you should be fine.

#5 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

It's hard to say mate, do you like console exclusive games and titles? if so, I suggest you wait off on building that PC, learn more about the PS4 then decide later this year, besides in 6 months time when PS4 is getting ready to come out, that 800-1000 dollar computer you are looking to build will be 100-200 dollars cheaper ;)

#6 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

It's kind of silly to make that call without even knowing what the PS4 is going to cost right now, so I'd say go ahead and build a PC. It's always nice to have a gaming capable PC along with a console or two.

#7 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

I say PC. Unless you want the PS4 exclusives.

#8 Edited by Akyho (1649 posts) -

I am thinking you buy a pc now, you have tons of games you can buy and play for stupidly cheap prices at times. Be happily entertained for years with new games and old.

Or....sit and wait for a ps4.....that will have 5 games on launch....one is worth playing.....then one game comes out 3 months later that is worth playing........then we get half the games that were shown off. Then nothing untill about year two or three of the ps4's life we start getting a bigger monthly roll of games.

That is looking at the PS4 if everything goes normal for a new console. It could tank or it could be better than my predcition.

Either way your playing a PC while this all play out and you can make a better informed decision later when the PS4 is more worthwhile to buy.

A PC gurantees you have not wasted your money even in the mid rage area, even at the lowest end. My friend has kept up with games recently with an 8 year old machine. Its only in the last year that the power is too much or they require windows 7. So a modern mid range comp should do you well for 3 to 5 years.

@mikejflick said:

that 800-1000 dollar computer you are looking to build will be 100-200 dollars cheaper ;)

That is a terrible way to think on PC's as you will forever be putting it off and never buy a computer, Its like chasing Tomorrow...Tomorrow never comes.

#9 Edited by zels (207 posts) -

@itsvash said:

<p>So I've been wanting to get a PC for some time now but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a mid range PC now with new consoles on the way, I kind of want a pc since havnt had one since I built one for half life 2 so long ass time ago, but if you guys suggest a PC please help out with specs wise as long ad I'm told what to buy I can figure it out from there and if ps4 i guess I'll just wait, thanks everyone.</p>

It all depends on what you can get for 800-1000. If it's significantly better than PS4's specs go for it, if not the PS4 would be better because the games will be optimised specifically for that combination of hardware.

#10 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@intro said:

I say PC. Unless you want the PS4 exclusives.

Agreed. You're going to save money on cross-platform games on the PC. Plus you get the added bonus of a ton of indie/free games.

But if you're really into Killzone, maybe you should get a PS4.

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

PC is definitely, 100% the right way to go.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

That's not gonna get you a very great PC, I'd just wait.

#13 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

Weirdly I haven't seen this written up anywhere, but the "Steambox" just went up for preorder, not sure you are considering it.

http://xi3.com/buy_now-piston.php

I personally own a PC and love it but intend to get a PS4 as well. I would recommend at least waiting until the nextBox is announced or the price of the PS4 revealed before you pull the trigger.

#14 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Well, I think I botched up the poll. My suggestion is to get a PC, but to at least wait for the PS4 to be released. That way you'll be sure what the hardware requirements will be for new games.

If you're not going to wait for the PS4, at least try to wait until the summer. Intel's expected to release a new line of processors, and this should drive the prices of older processors down.

#15 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

No brainer: PC, you can also get the PS4 on the cheap in a couple of years.

#16 Posted by Szlifier (494 posts) -

Don't buy a PC right before new consoles. There will be new games and a lot of new PC hardware when the next gen starts. Wait few months after launch and buy what you want.

#17 Edited by Hunkulese (2724 posts) -

Depends on if you want to play new games or not. Chances are cross-platform games will perform much better on the PS4 than they would for a $800-100 PC for at least the first couple years of the PS4.

#18 Edited by Slaegar (710 posts) -

If you are looking for the console experience (stick the disc in and shoot dudes), then you should hold out for the next consoles. The giant graphic advantage PC games have right now will get much smaller or go away by next year, but the other advantages of a PC for games will still be there.

I wonder if games next gen are going to shoot for 1080p60 or stick with their 720p30.

#19 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

After the new consoles launch it's going to be another 3-4 years before the PC version is substantially better then the console version. I say you wait for E3 and see what Sony and Microsoft have to show.

#20 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

I'm not much of a hardcore PC evangelist, but I hafta recommend you go the PC route on this issue. Console launches are usually shaky at best, at least software-wise, and with a PC in that price range, you'll be able to play virtually all currently-available games, and be set for at least a few years of excellent gaming :)

#21 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

This - I want to wait until we here more about the console specs before building a new computer just so we know what we're getting into for the next several years of gaming since it's basically limited to console power at this point. Besides, at that time, you can buy it all on Black Friday or Cyber Monday and save even more money or build a more powerful machine for the same price! :)

It's hard to say mate, do you like console exclusive games and titles? if so, I suggest you wait off on building that PC, learn more about the PS4 then decide later this year, besides in 6 months time when PS4 is getting ready to come out, that 800-1000 dollar computer you are looking to build will be 100-200 dollars cheaper ;)

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Id say PS4 but that's simply my bias right now since that's the next thing Im gonna buy hardware wise.

#23 Edited by Castiel (2616 posts) -

You could probably just by a PC. I'm gonna buy a PS4 but that's just because I have always owned a Playstation and I usually like the exclusives and the conveniance of owning a console and never have to worry about if my PS4 can run a specific game.

#24 Posted by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Pc,think of the library if games,and mods.

#25 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

I'd say it depends on your economic situation. If you can afford a PC this year and a PS4 next year, get a PC now. If whatever decision you make locks you in for three to four years, hold off. We don't even know yet what Microsoft brings to the table but should have that information in a few weeks to months.

At least wait until after E3 in that case. Then we should know for sure what the console launch windows will look like.

#26 Posted by jgf (392 posts) -

After what I've heard about the PS4 I have very strong hopes for it and am pretty sure that it'll be a great system (but we don't know for sure). However the console launch is at the end of this year. So there wont be very much games to play until the following christmas season 2014. So if you don't feel the urge to own the latest and greatest right when it comes out, you should buy a PC now. There are so many reasonable prices games there right now. Then after the obligatory price drop and when more games are out and the dust has settled you can decide on a new console. I think early 2015 right after the christmas season 2014 will be a good time for that. By then you had nearly 2 years of fun with your pc and you can make an informed decision on which console to buy.

I myself feel the urge to buy new stuff so I won't be able to resist for so long, but I think if you can resist this is a reasonable approach.

#27 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

So I'm convinced, going to build that pc, now someone's gota hook me up with a grocery list that I can purchase next week I'm at work so hopefully someone will have something good for me by the time I get home Im willing to go to 1400 so please someone give me something good, cheers!

#28 Edited by Kingloo (85 posts) -

As both the PS4 and the Nextbox will be based on 8-core CPUs, I would wait until you can get a CPU that is either 8-core or 4-core/8-thread.

#29 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

If you are more invested in the PS3 brand, with their exclusives, just wait for the PS4. In 5 years PS4 games will look way better than the launch titles, if you brought a PC stuff would look alot worse in 5 years.

#30 Posted by jaycrockett (451 posts) -

I have the same question re: PC vs. Next Xbox. On the one hand the PC is likely to be twice as expensive, but I do dabble in PC gaming and I like the idea of consolidating my gaming in one location (i.e. my couch).

#31 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

A PC. It will have good games no matter where we are in the cycle. The PS4 will have a lot of launch titles early on, which means technical problems and generally lower quality games. And you can always get the PS4 whenever you can afford it after that, and play those game that you missed before that point. Just get the PC. I'll do up a newegg wishlist (you can go elsewhere for better prices if that's what you'd like) to show you a good build for your price range.

#32 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@itsvash: Here's that build. There are multiple cases on that list, so either pick one of those, which will all treat you well, or go find one that suits you for around $100-150. Needs to be at least an ATX and without a Power Supply.
You'll also need to pick up an OS, so go add Windows 8 OEM (very important, that OEM big) 64-bit. It's the $99 64bit OEM one, the other is a bit more expensive and you don't need the extra bits it'll get you. And no, you should not get Windows 7. Windows 8 will be supported for longer, start getting exclusive features (ie DX12) that are important to gaming, and is cheaper to buy. And it's equal to or better than in pretty much every way. All of the ways that actually matter anyway.

@kingloo said:

As both the PS4 and the Nextbox will be based on 8-core CPUs, I would wait until you can get a CPU that is either 8-core or 4-core/8-thread.

Nah. Architecture, blah blah blah. Plus it's not hard to get an 8 thread CPU, basically any worthwhile quad core on the Intel side. Even with consoles going to 8 cores, I don't expect PCs to suddenly start using every thread they have available, etc etc etc.

You do not need the exact specifications of next gen machines to match or surpass those next gen machines. The build I linked above will almost certainly be more potent than both next gen consoles. And it won't be worse.

#33 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

I was facing the same dillema, but the truth is you will get more out of the PC now, than you would out of the PS4, at launch or even a year after. Plan is to build the PC, then buy a new PS4 or Xbox720 in a couple years after the regular releases come out. I have only gone through with buying consoles at launch twice, the 360 and PSP. Both times I got burned by the drought. Though the 360 did have Oblivion within a few months and Gears a year after launch. But had I had a PC then the 360 when Gears came out, I would have been happier. But I will make my final decision when E3 rolls around, to see if that GDDR5 ram thing is true.

#34 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: Would it be better to get that 670 with 4GB of ram instead of a 480 with 2 GB?

#35 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

a GTX670 2GB is better then a 480.. so yeah

#36 Posted by Corvak (1077 posts) -

The PS4 wont use more than 2 of its 8GB of DDR5 for graphics. It just doesn't require more than that for a 1080p screen.

The 3-6GB cards have that memory for people who set up a three screen display.

#37 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

Thanks for all the help and support everyone, I opted for the PC makes more sense to build something now and wait a year or two to purchase a PS4 or nextbox, thinking about it and the way they package the systems nowadays there sure to lower the price and offer a sweet package later on in the cycle rather than initially, plus the PC should last me a good 2-3 years before I'll need new hardware

Oh and shout out to @mordeaniischaos for all the help... will put up a pic of the rig as soon as the parts come in and I put the whole thing together

#38 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@itsvash: Good to hear, you made the right choice! Just wait till you have that baby in your possession! :D

#39 Edited by itsVASH (172 posts) -

BLIMEY.... EVERYTHING ARRIVED BUT THE POWER SUPPLY.... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

#41 Posted by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@itsvash: what kind of stuff did you get then?

#42 Edited by itsVASH (172 posts) -

@devildoll: Gpu, CPU, case, mobo, ram, EVERTHING but the psu

#43 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I would say, go for PC. Reason being, you can always revisit older games like Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Trine 2, Skyrim (with mods), and crank it up!

It is a complete experience compared to consoles, trust me on that!

#44 Edited by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@itsvash: haha no shit man!

I meant... what graphics card, what processor, etc.

#45 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

@devildoll my bad man, so heres the list

Mobo: asus p8z77-vk

CPU: Intel Core I5-3570K

GPU: Galaxy Geforce GTX 670

8 gigs ram

so as an update I assembeled the hole thing excelently first go, windows installed 1 issue though, every time it start its says CPU fan error, and the mobo doesn't read it, but when i open the case the cpu fan is spinning "son" so whats the issue? what should I do from this point?

#46 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

I own a big time pc with 2 680's all that kind of stuff and at this point it looks like they will not be putting out any new cards this year, Titan is not an upgrade. Also the ps4 just looks amazing and everything coming out about the system sounds great. I think that Sony gets it and wants to make it right for gamers and devs alike. Don't get me wrong I love my pc and would never give it up but you have to remember pc is never going to be the primary box that is developed for, and hell the PS4 is just a super PC anyways.

#47 Posted by Winterblink (34 posts) -

Personally, I prefer having the flexibility of a PC to upgrade later. The PS4 looks pretty sweet, don't get me wrong. But there's nothing like being able to slap in a bit more RAM or a better video card a few years down the line.

#48 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

If it were my choice, I would have waited til the PS 4 was out then weigh the pros and cons. Otherwise you might end up buying both if
you feel that the $1000 spent on the new PC rig turns out that it won't be your primary gaming platform & the PS4 is. That's what happened
to my Xbox 360 & PC. For many years, the Xbox 360 took primary point. Then as gaming started to wind down for it, I found myself going
back to the PC for gaming instead. Basically the PC is my backwards compatibility solution for most of the old games that I have on the
360 that I later bought for cheap on Steam. I'm not really sure how much my investment in 360 games will be protected when the next
generation comes out (or even if I get one).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.