Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

8GB Versions of the GTX 970/980?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Just wondering if anyone has any info on when these are going to be made available? any links, rumor mills or anything would be appreciated, I'm worried about forking out money for a new card, when 4GB just simply won't be enough when games like The Witcher 3 comes around. 6GB of vRAM recommended for the new Shadows Of Mordor Ultra Texture Pack edition and that isn't even 4k. I'm also expecting to see possibly a new Elder Scrolls game with this new generation of games as well though probably need an upgrade by the time that one ever gets around but yeah, just generally concerned about the 4GB limitations right now. Most people will indeed argue that unless I'm using really high resolutions I wont need anymore then 4GB, but that is indeed what people thought about 2GB, games are just simply starting to make very good use of mass vRAM specs and can only see more games going down this road, even for 1080. So any info you good peoples can provide I would appreciate it. Thanks!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Nvidia is being very quiet about this right now, and for good reason. If they announced hard info on when the card variants with more VRAM would be coming out, it would hurt sales of the cards that are available now.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MannyMAR

You can always get a Nvidia Quadro K6000 that thing has 12GB of VRAM, but it also costs little over 4 grand (don't do that unless you're developing games.) I don't think they'll go as high as 8GB just quite yet, I think that'll be the next crop of cards. 6GB seems like the logical bump they'll go for the 900 series.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Corevi

The 6GB on Shadow of Mordor Ultra textures is blown out of proportion. It works perfectly on a 3GB card at 1080p but you won't notice a difference unless you are running 4K.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What's exactly inside PS4/ONE? An 8GB AMD, right? Technically an APU, so what would be an equivalent GPU?

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ch3burashka: The PS4/XBONE uses AMD's Jaguar SOC, with the GPU equivalent (in raw horsepower) of something like a 7850/70. I believe that 8GB is a shared pool of memory and not reserved for the GPU alone.

Of course, the consoles can make up for lack of pure grunt in coding efficiency, as they traditionally get a lot closer "to the metal" than their PC counterparts, although they will always lag behind the $1000 monster GPUs (or even the fairly reasonable $300-500 ones) we can put in our PCs.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VACkillers

when it comes to the shadow of mordor 6GB texture pack dlc, its very confusing, supposedly you not be able to run it if you don't have 6GB of vram, then you go on 100s of forum posts, youtube videos and the like where people with 2GB of vRAM can run it at ultra textures, gtx 970 can easily reach 60FPS with it, but there is yet a 3rd twist. supposedly the game actually still doesn't let you play the game with those ultimate texture pack whether you've downloaded and installed the pack or not, if you don't have 6GB of vRAM the game automaticlly detects that and downscales those textures to meet your vram specs. (supposedly) so its all very confusing.

Yeah know about the Nvidia Quadro but bit too rich for my budget. Thx for the replies though guys. Still hopefull someone might be able to find a leak of info somewhere about any sort of release and you might be right there MannyMAR, 6GB might actually be what they'll be instead of 8, that was just a leak I found with a mist all those rumors around the 5th of sept. before the releases that 8GB versions was to come shortly after release. No exact info though.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nah man don't worry about it. Did you see the HD ground textures for Shadows of Moridor? HAHAHAH no amount of VRAM in the world will fix that.

We'll probably see more 6GB ultra settings in half-assed console ports but it won't be a real issue. Your pci-e bus will just get a bit more of a workout.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BasketSnake

MSI 970 1500mhz Fire Strike Benchmark For anyone interested. I haven't compared to others but on stock settings I got 9900ish.

Tried Mordor. Didn't find any AA option. Disabled DoF and ran unlocked framerate. High textures (3gb) and the rest maxed. No V sync. The benchmark showed average 85fps.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@corevi said:

The 6GB on Shadow of Mordor Ultra textures is blown out of proportion. It works perfectly on a 3GB card at 1080p but you won't notice a difference unless you are running 4K.

Yeah I just put in my 970 GTX today and decided to use Mordor to test it myself. My old card could not handle the ultra textures with everything else maxed, well it could, just not very well. Give it some credit it is also 3 years old and out of production :P. Bear in mind I do a ton of video recording and I do play at 1080p because of it. That also means I don't consider it a real test unless I am also recording while I am checking it. The 970 today, with all settings maxed, even with crap tastic vsync on, never went below 60fps while recording with the ultra textures.

Nuff said.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.