Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

A PC question that may be impossible

woodelf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By woodelf86

Is it better to buy games from a multitude of download clients, or is it better to just pick one, and is there some magic program that will go into each of your accounts on these sites and get a complete list of all games you own?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

@woodelf86: Raptr seemed to do what you asked.

And the solution is to just use one client and link the games you own from various sources to it. I've been using Steam to launch my EA Downloader (now called Origin) and D2D and disc based games for ever.

edit: grammar

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

Personally I try to just stick with Steam. EA might fuck up that plan.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You mean digital distribution providers? Most digital distribution providers don't have a full client, they just let you download an installer for the specific game. Steam and Impluse are the only ones that I think actually force you to use a full client. A couple of others have optional ones, but most just let you download individual game installers from their website.

As for the actual question. I'm sure it's easier to just stick to one, but you'll save money by shopping around. I don't know if there is a program that will keep track of your purchases for you. Personally I just keep a Giant Bomb list updated with games I own on most digital distribution services to remind me where I own most of my games.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

This whole thing is getting in my nerves... I just like video games and on the PC the only thing that annoys me is DRM so as long as each service downloads DRM free then I am happy to just play video games!

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By insanejedi

For EA games buy it off steam and get Origin, and transfer the CD-Key onto Origin. Be sure to check the games list if it works. but it allows you to have 2 download sources from 1 purchase.

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thesavage

Personally I prefer steam to anything else simply because it's all I know. I've never been dissatisfied with the product and recently every game that I have wanted has been easily accessible via steam. With the recent exception of EA, which are trying to cut out valve as the middle man. Which for me is quite inconvenient. However I have the feeling that eventually all EA games will find themselves on steam once again after a period of exclusivity on origin.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

I use Steam to run .exe files from other sources, such as Guild Wars, Blizzard games and games bought from GOG, It's pretty handy. Origin will probably end up being something similar. I doubt they care that you can run their game through steam as long as you paid EA for that specific game they're happy.

Failing that, I can add the .exe files to my rainmeter launcher.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye

Just use steam and link any exes you get from other distributors to it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Steam, you can add games to it. But i'm okay with only steam and seperate pc games and shit for it. Juggling so many clients might be difficult, i'm not someone who can comment on other clients because I mainly use steam for digital distribution and have no problems with it.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By DJJoeJoe

It would be nice if all games could support steamworks and thus benefit from auto updates and tracking of achievements and played time even when purchased outside of steam but we don't live in that sexy world. We live in a world where companies think they are going to provide something better, which ends up making my life a smidgen less enjoyable when some games have things and others don't. At some point I'd actually pay a small fee to have Steam just freakin' track anything I link through it regardless of it being purchased elsewhere... I mean how hard is it to track played time when you're launching the exe from steam with it's overlay anyways? 

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Steam and GOG.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog
    @Barrock said:

Personally I try to just stick with Steam. EA might fuck up that plan.

I'm afraid to purchase any EA games on Steam because of all the Origin business lately.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By PerryVandell

I generally just buy from steam, and if it isn't available, I'll buy on disc. You can also link games you didn't buy on steam to your library and access them from there, as long as you can access the .exe file.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.