Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Aaaargh which game to get?

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

CS:GO or Skyrim?

CS:GO

- I'm tired of all the other shooters(bf,cod,arma,etc.) and CS is the only shooter that im interested in. I used to play 1.6 for a short while.

CS:GO's+ and - for me:

+ Addicting "one more round" gameplay

+Nothing to unlock. I dont like grinding in FPS games

+All the maps are back, no need for me to learn them again

-too much of a competitive game, too many tryhards (or was that just 1.6?)

Skyrim

-I never really gave RPGs a shot. I was a console gamer and am only now really truly switching ot PC gaming(getting my new PC on tuesday). I always hated games like WoW, Aion,Lineage and all those other RPGs because I just sucked against other players. But with Skyrim I dont have to fear that as its SP.

Skyrim's + and - for me:

+big open world

+so much to do, endless possiblities(plus mods)

+awesome combat

+character creation

-i feel the game is gona be too complex for me. i dont really like complex games. thats what i hate about me, im a lazy guy who just doesnt want to learn games that are a bit more compex.

I just cant decide! I really want the game that I will get to have lots of playtime.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't like Oblivion. I finished the game without ever learning how to mange inventory.

Skyrim was great. They streamlined a ton, and even though I think it's a bit smaller (people talk about 400+ hours into Oblivion and 200+ into Skyrim) it still feels like a ton of content for the price, especially now.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Steadying

Skyrim. And It's not really complex at all, so don't worry about that. I really hope the Elder Scrolls VI has a leveling system that doesn't totally suck.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Skyrim has awesome combat? That's news to me. And calling it complex is giving it too much credit. Don't worry, you'll be just fine.

CS:GO has an ok variety in player skill and generally good matchmaking, so I think it'll be ok. Though unless you put in the work to try and win games to your best ability, I think there will be quite some rage waiting in there at all skill levels. At least in classic, though that's really the only mode. If you are just gonna play deathmatch, then stick with CoD. It's better suited for that kind of gameplay.

Either way, whatever game you choose has a hundred hours or so to be played. Kinda can't go wrong in this case.

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

Skyrim has awesome combat? That's news to me. And calling it complex is giving it too much credit. Don't worry, you'll be just fine.

CS:GO has an ok variety in player skill and generally good matchmaking, so I think it'll be ok. Though unless you put in the work to try and win games to your best ability, I think there will be quite some rage waiting in there at all skill levels. At least in classic, though that's really the only mode. If you are just gonna play deathmatch, then stick with CoD. It's better suited for that kind of gameplay.

Either way, whatever game you choose has a hundred hours or so to be played. Kinda can't go wrong in this case.

of course i would play classic. dm in cs feels weird and...wrong :P. the question is, do i put hundreds of hours into csgo to become a better player or do i put hundreds of hours into skyrim to..well explore and do...stuff

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I don't know about you but when I play counter-strike (source or GO) I always laugh out loud at something that someone says or at something that happens, especially in the mods like jailbreak. I doubt that happens in skyrim. CS GO is on daily deal now for $3.74 so...

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim - Mod that shit.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Skyrim has terrible load times. Terrible! It might be better if you have an SSD. But the 360 version was trash for load times. After 200 hours into that game it became such a hassle. And the way the game is designed you have to go through like 3 load screens to get anywhere. Leave building - fast travel - enter location. Rinse and repeat for the way back to turn in quest....

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k guys i think im gona get CSGO. skyrim has too many problems with the PC version anyway.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By noblenerf

Skyrim would be the wiser choice, I think. It is an immensely fun game all by itself and one of the most liberating games you can play. There's a lot to do, as you mentioned, and you can approach objectives however you wish. The emergent gameplay that can arise is a really awesome experience. e.g. I found a lost slave at the top of a mountain, asking for help. During the conversation, a bear ran up behind her and killed her. Also, dragons: they'll show up in the darnedest places.

As far as complexity is concerned, I don't think that's a problem. It is a straightforward game, with straightforward mechanics. There are mods for increased ease-of-use, like a horse-finder or better hotkeys. The only thing that requires a bit of thought are some of the dungeon puzzles. The answer is always closer than it seems.

After you have an idea of what Skyrim is like, consider looking into modding it. There are plenty of mods to choose from, and you'll be able to change the game however you wish. It will seem like a different game if you go far enough. Though keep in mind: if you're modding, be sure to you meet the mod's requirements and follow their instructions thoroughly. If you need help, the mod authors or the modding community itself will probably be happy to give you a hand.

Fus ro dah.

For CS:GO: I feel like it's going to go free-to-play in the near future, so I'm not sure how wise an investment it would be right now.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Skyrim has terrible load times. Terrible! It might be better if you have an SSD. But the 360 version was trash for load times. After 200 hours into that game it became such a hassle. And the way the game is designed you have to go through like 3 load screens to get anywhere. Leave building - fast travel - enter location. Rinse and repeat for the way back to turn in quest....

It was fine on PC on a regular HDD. No real load times at all. So that shouldn't be a problem for OP.

@redloopz said:

k guys i think im gona get CSGO. skyrim has too many problems with the PC version anyway.

It doesn't have many problems at all, or at least I didn't come across any. A nice helping of open-world jank, but that's always fun :D

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By abendlaender

Wait...Skyrim and awesome combat? Who told you that? Don't talk to that guy anymore.

Was it him? Still, get Skyrim and mod it to heaven and back.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Skyrim is not complex at all. It tells you precisely where to go and what to do when you get there. Combat never gets more complex than equipping something to your right hand and something to your left hand and going at it. Sure, you can come up with elaborate schemes of playing an archer that summons monsters to do your close-quarters dirty work, but you never have to do that sort of thing (even though it's more fun to experiment with all the different playstyles). You can stick to bashing dudes with a mace for a hundred hours if you want to.

I'm partial to single player games and Skyrim is one of my favorites of the generation, so obviously I'm going to suggest that. CS:GO is a fine choice, though.

@redloopz said:

Skyrim had some issues at launch but I don't have that many problems on the PC. If you do have problems, someone else has probably had the same problem before and fixed it, it doesn't take much searching.

The load times weren't that bad for me when I played on 360. They're almost instant on the PC, even on a regular hard drive.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

unsurprisingly, this thread with a fairly simple question has turned into an ever expanding war of minutiae detection. To stay on topic, my vote is definitely for Skyrim because it is one of my favorite games ever. You seem to like shooters, though, so CS:GO might be more up your alley, even though it held my interest for a total of about 10 minutes.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By flasaltine

Skyrim is not complex at all. It is a casualized RPG built for consoles targeted at a large market. CSGO would be my choice anyway.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get The Witcher instead of Skyrim. That is all.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the PC, load times on a Western Digital Black are 3-4 seconds. On an SSD, the load times don't exist. Blink and it's loaded. On my girlfriend's PC, equiped with a slower Western Digital Blue, the load times are about on part with the WD Black's speed.

However, once you start modding and adding super high resolution textures and go into custom dungeons, load times do go up a few more seconds.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Skyrim, mod it, and give up the next year of your life.

There is so much to do in that game it's insane!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Skyrim isn't terribly complicated. Its pretty generic in terms of systems if you've ever played any kind of RPG. The complication comes in the form of mods which are optional obviously but highly encouraged.I'd recommend only using a few visual or lore friendly mods for most or all of your first playthrough so you can appreciate the game as it was intended, and then you can mess around with all the crazy awesome additions and awesome things.

Definitely recommend Skyrim though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

Load times on Skyrim for me are about 1.5 seconds. That SSD power.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By butano

I would say Skyrim in a heartbeat. CS:GO is way more complex imo.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I implore you to get Skyrim. That is all.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo: Exactly. Both together would still be less than $20. You cannot go wrong with spending less than $20 for those two games.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

GUYS!!! SHOULD I GET BATTLEFIELD 1942 OR THE SIMS 2?!?! They are totally comparable in so many ways and I like both and feel i can justify buying both by I am CRIPPLED WITH INDECISION so I need the help of randoms on a forum who KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ME!!!! HEL!P!!P!P!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impossible comparison, Skyrim is a bit overrated/identical to previous elder scrolls games but it's still pretty damn good.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim. CS:GO just isn't what CS:S was.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Counterstrike GO is a fantastic version of Counterstrike, but if you really want to get anything out of it your going to have to commit. The game is designed heavily around competitive play and pretty much everyone in matchmaking takes the game very seriously. There are options for more casual play such as the custom server browser and unranked matchmaking, but the reason you would really want to get counterstrike is to play competitive. If that's something you're interested, CSGO is a great choice, but if you're looking for an FPS to have a good time with and not take too seriously, there are better options.

As for Skyrim, it's got a ridiculous amount of content and most of that content is quite good. With mods, the game really becomes something more. If you are someone that enjoys getting caught up in a fantastically realized world for countless hours, exploring and questing, you can't really get much better than Skyrim. If you want an RPG with deep and strategic combat, interesting characters. or a compelling story, look elsewhere. The real strength of Skyrim is the amazing game world and well designed dungeons, and it does those things better pretty much any other game.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't like playing against other people in MMORPGs, I'm not sure why playing CS would be a good choice. Seems like that would be a far more frustrating multiplayer experience, unless you're really good at shooters.

I've got around 100 hours in Skyrim on the PC, and I never had the first major problem. Load times were always around 5-7 seconds for me, and my PC is by no means a powerhouse. It's a great game, even if you skip all major quest lines and just wander around as an adventurer.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

skyrim was way more interesting for me.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Garfield518

Um... why not just get both?

CS:GO is currently on sale for $3.74 and Skyrim goes on sale for $7.

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing: @ll_exile_ll: @zombiepenguin9: @danteveli: @garfield518: to everyone who play skyrim here(on PC of course) I heard that Bethesda REALLY f*cked up the mouse and keyboard controls. I heard they put in mouse accel that even, when the users turn it off is still supposedly on, that x-y snesitvites are different and cant be changed, that based on your framerate your mouse speed either increases or decreases(dafuq?)

Is this true? It's the only thing holding me back from Skyrim

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, just go with Skyrim

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emprpngn

@redloopz: I most definitely made a substantial change to the mouse sensitivity that didn't change (within any reasonable human perception) over the course of a play session. That seems like a really lame reason to not play a game, though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@redloopz said:

@alwaysbebombing: @ll_exile_ll: @zombiepenguin9: @danteveli: @garfield518: to everyone who play skyrim here(on PC of course) I heard that Bethesda REALLY f*cked up the mouse and keyboard controls. I heard they put in mouse accel that even, when the users turn it off is still supposedly on, that x-y snesitvites are different and cant be changed, that based on your framerate your mouse speed either increases or decreases(dafuq?)

Is this true? It's the only thing holding me back from Skyrim

I mostly played with a gamepad, but when I was using kb/m it seemed fine.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim if you like drakes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.