adding -3 to negative lod bias looks the same [NVIDIA]

#1 Posted by xboxtwo (23 posts) -

seems like forcing the negative LOD in nvidia inspector to a specific number looks the same as if u left it alone and only set it to "allow" in nvidia control panel

u have either option to only "allow" negative LOD bias........ and u can choose to set a specific number for it, max is -3.000, or just have the number part greyed out

#2 Posted by xboxtwo (23 posts) -

by the way, im new to giantbomb, nice to meet you all

on steam im #XboxTwo

#3 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Welcome!

#4 Posted by kadash299 (281 posts) -

What exactly are you trying to show us here?

#5 Edited by xboxtwo (23 posts) -

negative lod bias allows you to have the textures have a higher resolution that what your display's resolution is able to capture, bringing a more crisp and higher quality image, instead of blurred out textures.

a clamped or positive lod for your textures means blurred out textures that are more than low-res enough for ur monitor's resolution to capture

clamping textures, instead of allowing negative LOD bias, is like having very awful texture filtering, and will blur out ur textures

allowing the negative lod makes textures have a higher res than what ur monitor's resolution can capture, keeping the textures high res and more detailed, instead of forcefully blurring them out like that clamping does

#6 Posted by Korwin (2903 posts) -

Negative LOD bias will only have an effect in instances where the texture data has access to a higher resolution mipmap, if you're already at the limit of the asset you can't magically create additional texture map resolution. WoW is going to be a bad test case for forcing higher resolution maps, it's texture resolution is incredibly low.

#7 Posted by xboxtwo (23 posts) -

thanks, please inform me of a better program to test it on

#8 Edited by Toxeia (730 posts) -

Is this what you're talking about? Wesley at Tested had written an article about downsampling, a process in which you are rendering games at higher resolutions and then scaling them down to your monitor's native size. It basically gives your screen tons of information to work with and fills in information better than something like anti-aliasing.

I'm trying to think of games that give you access to massive texture maps. Crysis 3 is probably good, but I'm not familiar with the game myself. Witcher 2 and Sleeping Dogs come to mind though.

#9 Posted by xboxtwo (23 posts) -

no, wtf LOL this has nothing to do with anti aliasing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.