Advice: Quad Core or 6 Core?

#1 Posted by Joeasis (60 posts) -

Hey guys :) Just a quick question.

I'm about to click buy on a new computer and I've been trawling the net for a while now and my head is hurting. I've taken overclocking and GPUs and price and all that nonsense into consideration, and I'm tired :P

So I thought I'd just try and get a simple answer from the most awesome community on the net.

Quad or 6 (Hex?) core for gaming?

The only games I really play on the PC is the Sims and I'm looking forward to the new Simcity game.

(The other thing I do on a PC is video editing).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Joey.

#2 Posted by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

Quad is fiiiine at high clock speeds per core.

#3 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Is it extensively video editing? and do you work for a company to produce video content?

#4 Posted by Joeasis (60 posts) -

It can get fairly extensive. I freelance :)

#5 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@Joeasis: You should look for benchmarks of the video editing programs you use, some get significantly faster with more cores and others don't.
#6 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

Since it's for video editing, six cores could come in handy. But I think an i7 with hyperthreading (four physical + four virtual cores, giving you eight effective threads for applications) could probably be better.

#7 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

And if money is not a barrier for you then just go for a Intel i7 Extreme Hexa-Core processor. I doubt you'll be disappointed by its power.

#8 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

As others have said, it depends on what programs you're using to edit video and whether or not they take advantage of more than 4 cores. I assume that most professional video editing programs will, but I've never even tried editing video... so yeah, you're the expert here :P

For gaming, you'll seldom see a game that uses more than 4 cores. That's why the i5 2500k is so popular: 4 very fast cores, lots of OCing and virtually the same performance as an i7 (since games don't use HyperThreading either). Make your decision solely based on your video editing needs, because anything you get with that in mind will be more than enough for gaming. I don't know what GPU you'll need, since editing is mostly CPU and RAM-heavy, right? I wouldn't go lower than a GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670, though. Even if it's overkill for The Sims, you don't want to bottleneck a system with a crappy GPU when your CPU is so good.

#9 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Anything more than a quad core is overkill even for video editing (yes yes, excluding hollywood types), having said that if you are regularly encoding hour long 1080P videos then I could see the desire for moving to the extra cores, but even then I'd probably just settle on a highly clocked i5 or i7.

My non-Sandy Bridge (or even Ivy now) i5 at 4Ghz still encodes 720P and 1080P videos pretty damn fast. You'll be fine with 'just' a quad core.

Even when my PC is being utilised 100% across its cores I can still browse the web, surprisingly. That sort of would take away the 'need' to have extremely fast encoding speeds as at least my machine is still usable for lower end tasks.

edit: and for gaming even a quad core isn't quite required yet, higher end dual cores still max out current 'gen' games. So either way a quad core is going to suit your needs and then some. Get a good i5 or i7 in the 2.8Ghz+ range, clock it higher if you feel you need to, but I doubt you will.

#10 Posted by Joeasis (60 posts) -

Thank you very much for the answers, guys. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.