Ahhh, decisions, decisions......

#1 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

So my new PC arrives in a couple days and I am still unsure what game/s I should get. I have $150 Au to spend  and I have made a list of games I am interested in along with their price. So any opinions would be gladly accepted. So what games to you suggest are the best and worth their money. Also I am open to games not on the list as long as they arent MMO's

Orange Box - $40
Counter Strike Source + Gmod - $25
Bioshock - $50
Crysis - $50
Gears of War - $60
Mass Effect - $80
World in Conflict - $60
Stalker - $50

#2 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

Shame you couldn't get Bioshock last week, it was $24.99AU on Steam :/ (back to normal price now).
Anyways, Orange Box has best bang for buck, it's got Half-Life 2 and two episodes as well as Team Fortress 2 and I believe Counter-Strike Source? TF2 is amazingly fun if you have any interest in FPS games.
World in Conflict is also great fun, with decent multiplayer; but I prefered Company of Heroes which I believe is around $40 in our fine country.
There's a website called Economical Gamer it is for Aussies and has scans of catalogues from Myer, JB HIFI, EB Games, Harvey Norman etc. and just check on there for some of the PC pages from the catalogues; maybe you can find these games for cheaper.

Out of all those I'd recommend Orange Box, Bioshock and World in Conflict. Orange Box is basically 3 games in one, Bioshock has an intense singleplayer you won't forget and World in Conflict has an engaging singleplayer campaign with a very fun multiplayer.

#3 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
calf_exercises said:
"So my new PC arrives in a couple days and I am still unsure what game/s I should get. I have $150 Au to spend  and I have made a list of games I am interested in along with their price. So any opinions would be gladly accepted. So what games to you suggest are the best and worth their money. Also I am open to games not on the list as long as they arent MMO's

Orange Box - $40
Bioshock - $50
Crysis - $50
Gears of War - $60
Mass Effect - $80
World in Conflict - $60
Stalker - $50"
Hmm, well if u had an extra 15 bucks that would pwn. In My Opinion i would get:

The Orange Box (3 phenominal shooters)
Counterstrike: Source (Do i need to explain?)
Stalker (great game)
Crysis (if you have a good comp)

#4 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Gears of war is easily the best game there in every way.

#5 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

Mass Effect and probably Orange Box i would choose

#6 Posted by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

Orange Box is a def. yes.

#7 Posted by blu_magnet (258 posts) -

If you're looking for value you got to get Orange Box

#8 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Keep in mind that Gears of War is not that stable on PC, trust me I have it

#9 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

If I were you, I'd definitely get The Orange Box, Stalker and Bioshock they are the best out of that list IMO
Especially Stalker it's amazing, not the kind of shooting you'd expect.
Bioshock is also great, very dark and twisty and I love the weapons and characters in the game.
The Orange Box has the BEST games, Portal which is a very cool and addicting puzzle game, TF2 a very fun multiplayer game and Half Life

#10 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
albaker said:
"Keep in mind that Gears of War is not that stable on PC, trust me I have it
"
i know what your talking about!!
#11 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

The Orange Box has to be the first on any list.

#12 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

crysis, world in conflict and stalker $160 so $10 over

#13 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

get them all!

#14 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Out of that list, Orange Box and STALKER.

#15 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

GET THE ORANGE BOX OR GIVE ME YOUR PC! And if you get Gears be warned that there is rarely anyone on LIVE it's sad really

#16 Posted by death919 (43 posts) -
Bioshock is one of my favourite single-player games of the last couple of years.  :)  I'd say definitely pick up that one at least.
#17 Posted by Agentfred (58 posts) -
calf_exercises said:
"So my new PC arrives in a couple days and I am still unsure what game/s I should get. I have $150 Au to spend  and I have made a list of games I am interested in along with their price. So any opinions would be gladly accepted. So what games to you suggest are the best and worth their money. Also I am open to games not on the list as long as they arent MMO's

Orange Box - $40
Bioshock - $50
Crysis - $50
Gears of War - $60
Mass Effect - $80
World in Conflict - $60
Stalker - $50"
Have you played HL2 already? If not, then the OB is an obvious choice.
If I had to rank the remaining games:
1) Bioshock
2) Crysis
3) Mass Effect
4) Stalker
5) Everything else
Accounting for value (price vs. length), I would say go with OB, Bioshock, and Stalker.
Enjoy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.