Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Alienware Alpha Desktop Intel Core i3 4GB Memory 500GB

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agentboolen

Can this machine be in-line with game performance as a ps3/Xbox one or is it more aimed at the ps3/Xbox 360 specs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-alpha-desktop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/9561097.p?id=1219424183258&skuId=9561097&pid=1219424183258

I know the 4gb of ram would probably have to be doubled but does the i3 stand a chance or is it already an out dated pc gaming machine?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I've never seen/heard of a gaming machine with less than an i5.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Even though the price is good, I wouldn't touch a pc like that, it's more like a console than a pc and you won't be able to upgrade anything in it, they don't say what gpu it has, but with only 2gb of video memory, you are looking at ps3/360 quality at best.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By agentboolen

@kidavenger: video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics, but i think they usually have model #'s. So maybe to vague there with video card info.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics

Feature 2GB GDDR5 video memory for lush images. HDMI output enables flexible connectivity.

I want it more as a console for under my tv, but yea i think your right it's more of last gen specs

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pcorb

@agentboolen: The Alienware Alpha is basically a low end Alienware steam machine in all but name. The GPU is probably not specified because it's a custom design, but apparently it's not too far from a GTX 860m, which is a decent card (for a mobile GPU at least). It's fairly recent and apparently doesn't perform too badly considering the price/specs (the CNET review claimed that it managed to match or beat console performance in stuff like Far Cry 4 and Metro). At the same time, I think the 4GB of RAM, 2GB VRAM, and relatively low powered processor make it unlikely that the Alienware Alpha will maintain that lead over consoles for very long.

You might want to consider building your own mITX machine if you want a PC to fit under your TV.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hell No do not buy that, also Alienware is overpriced garbage your paying top dollar...for a case. There are laptops around that price that are better than that.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane: I'm not exactly a fan of Alienware or prebuilts in general, but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a laptop with a GTX 860m for under $500.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's a review of the Alpha over at Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alienware-alpha-review/1100-6425017/).

[With this in mind,] The Alpha is a great value. It may be more expensive than consoles, but the difference of $100 is a small price to pay for a console-like gaming device that doubles as a Windows PC. If you like the convenience of the console experience, are interested in the hundreds of excellent games available on Steam, and could benefit from a new desktop PC, $500 is a very reasonable asking price. It may not blow consoles out of the water when it comes to performance, but it comes close. Manage your expectations accordingly and you won't be disappointed by the Alienware Alpha.

Credit: Peter Brown, Gamespot

Seems to be a quite nice piece of kit, but don't expect too much of it.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Here's a review PC World. You could definitely do better for a little bit more, but I am impressed by the form factor. I got a mini-atx PC for the living room, and it's still significantly bigger than a console. This one appears to be smaller than an xbox one.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DO NOT buy a gaming pc without an i5 at least at this point.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

I know that the Alpha has an 860m in it, but It's strange that the GPU isn't listed anywhere on the Alpha product page. The GPU is just referred to as "NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5." It's almost as if Alienware is going out of it's way to hide the fact that the Alpha has a crappy laptop grade mobile GPU in it.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By agentboolen

@jaycrockett: @jaycrockett: your review did seem to lean on it giving better visuals then Xbox one on new Far Cry which surprised me.

I think the price is good but i do think the specs are going to drag it down later on. For the price even being not to expensive I'll probably pass, as i don't think it's exactly what i want.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentboolen: I did look into more Models of this alienware console like pc, if i did want to spend more then $600 I'd probably get one that's better then the new consoles but i don't really want to pay that type of money at the moment.

Seems like a nice design though and could be the future for console games.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:

@evilsbane: I'm not exactly a fan of Alienware or prebuilts in general, but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a laptop with a GTX 860m for under $500.

Yes it wouldn't be a deal you'd see everyday, but I have seen some incredible deals for 500-600, I also just hate Alienware systems you pay for everything but good performance.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike Alienware. They made a defective hinge on the m11x r2 line and then refused to honor their own recall.

So now I have a completely unusable laptop

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.