Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Am I the only one whos never actually had a problem with SecuROM?

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler

Everytime a new game comes out on the PC, theres a bunch of people who whine about the SecuROM.

Am I the only one whos never had a problem with it?

The only DRM thats ever caused trouble for me is StarForce, and no games use that anymore.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By timay

The main thing the bugs people about securerom is that it is basically a rootkit.

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bunnyboiler
    @timay said:
    " The main thing the bugs people about securerom is that it is basically a rootkit. "
    That hasn't impacted me in anyway though?
    timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By timay
    @bunnyboiler:
    Not directly but having something on my machine that i cant uninstall without going through the registry is a little troublesome.  The last game i bought with securerom i think was the first bioshock which also had an activation limit which was later removed.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Ea's drm authorisation tool tells me that I used up three installation limits due to a format when I didn't. Actually my pc crashed, can't even turn it on, had to format it or else I can't use it, that takes away an installation limit. Two more of those crashes and installs I don't own mass effect anymore. Well they added two more installation limits from three to five, I still own the game. I have to reinstall crysis warhead one day and that's going to take another installation limit. I hope it doesn't show three installation limits when it should only be two.

I'm totally okay with securom disc check, however not installation limits. I have a problem with that due to formats, or moving the game to a different drive that will be one more installation limit.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

In my decade of PC gaming I've never had a single problem with Securom or installation limits, when people bring them up as an issue I literally don't know what the fuck they are talking about at all

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not a problem, just the fact that it's fucking mal-ware that I can't uninstall once it's on my machine.

Securom is a very dumb idea, since people who pirate the game don't have to deal with it. Companies are just punishing legitimate customers with install limits and such.

"Thanks for buying our game, now let me lay a nice big juicy turd on your forehead."

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I was never overly bothered by it. As long as I can stick the game into my CD drive and play it, and it doesn't make my computer implode on itself, I'm happy. I can understand why some people are upset at the install limits (if you reformat or get a new PC semi-regularly it could become a nuisance) but personally it doesn't really affect me since I change PC's & reformat so rarely. It is kinda dumb since the only people they are inflicting it on is their paying customers since pirates easily find ways around all that stuff, but it never directly affected me so I didn't mind it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.