Any experience with Shuttle boxes?

#1 Posted by Asmo917 (484 posts) -

After avoiding news about it for as long as I could, Steam Big Picture sounds interesting. Running a cable from my rig in my office to my TV downstairs isn't practical, so I'm looking at building a second PC as a SteamBox to use downstairs.

Does anyone have any first or second-hand knowledge of the Shuttle line of PCs? I like the form factor for a living room PC, but am not opposed to building a second machine completely from scratch if it's not worth the hassle.

TIA

#2 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1148 posts) -

I think they are perfectly fine. A friend of mine built one using a cheap shuttle case but the only problem I found with it was the airflow inside the case. I think the BitFenix Prodigy is apparently a very good air-flowing case.

Here's a video of a gaming mini PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVbFXSlgEc

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1955 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn: Is there anyway I can just get the case from that build?

#4 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1148 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: What region do you live in?

#5 Edited by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1955 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn: Southeastern united states.

Edit: Found one. Will look into making a sweet HTPC.

#6 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1148 posts) -
#7 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1955 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn: Thanks, duder!

#8 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

I'm honestly not sure why you'd want something like that. You'd get a better pc that lasts a lot longer if you used a modest ATX case. You'd have to be real low on space not to be able to put one next to your TV stand. Airflow tends to be an issue especially with a lot of gaming.

#9 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1148 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I'm honestly not sure why you'd want something like that. You'd get a better pc that lasts a lot longer if you used a modest ATX case. You'd have to be real low on space not to be able to put one next to your TV stand. Airflow tends to be an issue especially with a lot of gaming.

What do you mean by last a lot longer? Depending on the parts he gets it could be as good as a normal computer. I really doubt these guys are gonna do anything that requires OCing.

#10 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

What do you mean by last a lot longer? Depending on the parts he gets it could be as good as a normal computer. I really doubt these guys are gonna do anything that requires OCing.

*cough*

#11 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1148 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@IrrelevantJohn said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

*cough*

That thing might as well be in the trash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.