Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Anyone using Dual Shock 4 on PC?

Hallur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you that have been successful at using DS4 with your PC.

Also how do you think it handles on PC (response and feel).

I just got a new laptop and I've been saving controller friendly games to play on the go or when I'm not at the "mothership".

Thanks in advance :)

Hallur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hallur

It would also be cool if people that like other controllers could chime in or make recommendations.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mikey87144

I like it a lot. Search for DS4 fix and it will work perfectly.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

It's the best controller I've ever used. No hyperbole or sarcasm. I use DS4Windows to make it work with Xinput.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Original_Hank

I dig it, when it works. It hasn't completely replaced my xbox controller though. Maybe I'm not using the right program, but I've found it doesn't always work with all the games I want it to. Also the right shoulder button sticking is kind of annoying. That's the only real controller build issue I have with it, everything else feels very nice.

Magnum3_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Magnum3_14

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

This is what I've been using for the better part of a year and it is absolutely fantastic.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I like it, DS4Tool works good. But I kept having problems with the PS4 turning on when I was using it, and interfering with the pairing somehow. I switched to the DS3, which is still perfect for any game I'm not using a mouse for.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It's great. I just wish that it had official driver support, so that I didn't need to run some third-party program to use it.

BurningHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I use DS4Tool as well and it's allowed me to replace my 360 controller for the most part. Some games still don't recognize the DS4 even with DS4Tool though, so I still have my 360 controller around for when that problem arises.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Nubster

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

This is what I've been using for the better part of a year and it is absolutely fantastic.

This is what I use.

Some games have a nasty habit of recognizing the DS4 as both an XInput gamepad and whatever native driver the PS4 is using, so it's best to just tick the "Hide DS4" box to avoid that kind of issue. Since you're going to be using it on a laptop, I'm assuming you'll be playing your games close enough to use a wired connection, which is what I'd recommend. Bluetooth connection sometimes leads to sticky buttons.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using it, yes. Played through Arkham Asylum and City.

Gonna enjoy using it for other PC stuff like local only games.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trillian

I've been using it since Nov i think, Windows 8.1 and over USB. All in all it's been a good experiences with the latest ds4 tool. There's only one small problem i have seen come up and have happen to myself is if the control gets disconnected and reconnected you may end up with both xinput and wireless driver listed in the windows controller panel or none at all. usually a restart of the application and a reconnecting of the controller fixes it. But still to me a great controller and drivers will get better in time. Also ds4 tools you can make profiles based on games to easily remap buttons.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I used one of those downloadable tools and liked it a great deal. Dpad games worked far better than the 360 pad, of course.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigmess

Mine works great! I just have to keep mine plugged in using ds4 tools. You can customize the light bar with sliders which is fun.

Keep in mind though, if you press the ps button you're gonna turn your ps4 on. I accidentally posted about four videos of nothing but the killzone title screen on facebook while playing shovel knight.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've used mine with my PC over BT (€6 bt 4.1 usb dongle) for a while now and haven't really had any issues.

I've used a lot of different variants of DS4Tool, right now I'm using some version of DS4Windows. Love the controller, and I guess I'm lucky because neither of mine have squeeky/stuck triggers or the issue with peeling rubber on the sticks. Only real backside to it is the battery life.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeguyJohnson

The DS4 is a great controller but ever since the native drivers came out I've been using the XB One controller instead. The DS4 is better but having all the buttons match up and not having to run a program to use it means I'm sticking with the One controller until Sony comes out with their own drivers.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

It's the best controller I've ever used. No hyperbole or sarcasm. I use DS4Windows to make it work with Xinput.

This. I've been waiting for the blue ones to be available because sometimes I'm weirdly specific that way but now that I have one, I love it. I had some initial wonkyness because I had my DS3 hooked up before, but really that just came down to me not having everything from that uninstalled from the get go.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have played a handful of games with it, Shovel Knight being the latest example. Works wonderfully.

Hallur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome guys... gonna replay Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami after I pick one up :)

Is it weird to have a DS4 but no PS4 xD

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hallur said:

Awesome guys... gonna replay Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami after I pick one up :)

No. I have a 360 controller but no 360. I'm sure a lot of PC gamers are in that camp.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hallur said:

Nah. I've got a DS4 and an Xbox One controller, but neither of the consoles. =D

Like everyone has said, the DS4 tool works quite well, and the controller is great. I used it as my PC controller from November until whenever the Xbox One drivers were released. I now use the Xbox One controller exclusively, only because I much prefer how that controller feels over the DS4 (I've never been a fan of the ergonomics of the Dual Shock.) But that's only preference.

The DS4 will be an awesome Meat Boy controller. You can't go wrong with that d-pad. Even though the One's pad is light years ahead of the 360's, I still miss the DS4's for certain games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hallur said:

I'm in the same camp (though I also use my DS4 for my PS3)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is all very good information. I'm not really into action games on my PC, but this is a good tool since I do have a PS4 in my house. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using a DS4 as my primary PC controller for a bit and liking it, the only downside is using a slower computer (my laptop) it seems to have more input lag over bluetooth but I've been able to play some relatively precise games with it (Spelunky, Meat Boy). The software is pretty good, though I wish there was an official solution, I've probably been using the same version since April or May and haven't had a need to update since then.

Also, I found the controller to be pretty good over bluetooth overall and it's a little more compact than a 360 controller. It's still a little bulky in a laptop bag but it works.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Bought a DS4 this morning, mainly because I couldn't get along with the bumpers on the XB1 pad and have been playing around with DS4Windows.

Liking the controller a lot so far but have hit a brick wall with Dark Souls 2 - Everything else I've tried sees the DS4 as a 360 pad.

EDIT - DS2 now working with DS4. All it needed was a reboot, I guess.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@dave_tacitus: Make sure "Hide DS4 controller" is checked in the settings of DS4Windows so that the controller is only detected as a 360 pad. Some games, like Dark Souls, look for non-360 pads as well and can get confused.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chumley_marchbanks: Yep, it was checked by default when I installed the tool but didn't seem to work until I unchecked and rechecked it. Working fine now.

There's a little lag with Bluetooth but it's no biggie (I've got the cheapest bt dongle possible so I was amazed it even paired) as the pad's fine wired.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a side note: I'm using it with my PS3 and don't actually have a PS4 yet, and Sony has helpfully patched up PS3's firmware to near 100% compatibility. I'm still not entirely sure I prefer it over the DS3 though. The sticks are a bit on the small side for me. I liked the big, fat mushroom tops on the DS3, but I seem to be a minority. Though the DS4's certainly work better for shooters like Bioshock and Far Cry 3.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: It works on the PS3 as well? Interesting.

My PS3 is in semi-retirement these days but an additional pad is always welcome.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@sinusoidal: It works on the PS3 as well? Interesting.

My PS3 is in semi-retirement these days but an additional pad is always welcome.

yep it's really, really awesome playing PS3 games with the new controller. Though note it doesn't work with everything.

Just played MGS3 and it's incompatible with that game because - as recently mentioned on the bombcast - it's the one game series to actually use the pressure sensitive face buttons which the PS4 controller doesn't have.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The one thing I'm slightly wary of is the DS4 switching on the PS3 when I want to game on PC. I know Motionjoy disabled that feature feature when you were using your DS3 as a PC pad.

I'm fiddling about with custom profiles on DS4Windows right now and they're dead easy to figure out.

Now, I've got a game which recognises the DS4 natively and gives the correct button prompts but I'm damned if I can remember which one it is.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, I've got a game which recognises the DS4 natively and gives the correct button prompts but I'm damned if I can remember which one it is.

Cook, Serve, Delicious is the only one I know of.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Steadying

I use DS4Tool and it's alright, but it randomly disconnects every hour or so which is incredibly annoying while playing FFXIV.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Found another one after forgetting to start DS4Windows - Roundabout.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hallur: I don't use a ds4 yet, but I've found my ds3 to run perfectly. It really just feels like the consoles at that point. I've also used thethe wireless Xbox 360 controller for awhile.

I myself don't think I'll be upgrading to the ds4, I don't see any features my ds3 can't already do with the new controller on a windows machine. That and it sounds like the rubber analog sticks wear out fast on the ds4.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Corevi

@agentboolen: They did on first runs but the newer ones are fine.

The DS4 has an even better dpad and much better triggers which are reasons to get one. The touchpad is also really useful as you can use it as a mouse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.