Anywhere to buy a legit Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver?

#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

So... For some reason I've been playing lots of Street Fighter X Tekken on PC which is dumb for many reasons, but it led me to buy one of those silver xbox 360 controllers with the decent dpad... Got one of those at work no problem, hopped on amazon and bought the receiver.. Then I actually looked at the page and realized it is a knock off.. My experience with those kind of products is they work for a very short about of time and break... So I would like the find a genuine Microsoft receiver.. Any of you duders know of a place?

I've checked google and amazon and can't find anything. :(

#2 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I bought the a "Knock Off" on ebay, and it works completely fine.

Just downloading the drivers on MS website and

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Select the "Unknown Device"
3. Choose to update the driver under the Driver tab
4. Choose the 'Browse for a driver' (not the exact words but close)
5. Tell it that you want to pick from the list of device drivers
6. Choose the "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class" option
7. Pick the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver
8. Enjoy
#3 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

@DaMisterChief said:

I bought the a "Knock Off" on ebay, and it works completely fine.

Just downloading the drivers on MS website and

1. Go to Device Manager
8. Enjoy

I can vouch as a guy that owns two knockoffs (one for backup purposes). They both work perfectly for me so far and very happy with them. Also very affordable.

#4 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

It's really dumb they don't still sell those bundles. Maybe the next console's controller will have a new one they want to sell.

#5 Edited by Farley_Lives (278 posts) -

@zudthespud said:

It's really dumb they don't still sell those bundles. Maybe the next console's controller will have a new one they want to sell.

Am I the only person that can still find the Receiver / Controller bundle? I typed "360 PC Controller" into Amazon and boom. Found a bunch for $45 and if you don't want the extra controller, most gaming places will buy them off you. I also went on to Ebay and found a couple for sale. Just remember official ones say Microsoft on the receiver.

And finally if you're playing Street Fighter X Tekken, I would suggest getting one of these bad boys. (Works on PC 100%) And I love them.

#6 Posted by HansKaosu (757 posts) -

They do sell official adapters on ebay. I bought one years ago.

#7 Edited by Devildoll (909 posts) -

it's just some circuitboards inside a plastic case.

it isnt going to be put under any kind of stress, there are no moving parts etc.

i'd doubt they would get any economical benefit from circuits so crappy that they would break on themselves, without having like every 3rd one be dead from the factory.

it'll probably be just fine, and if it's a knock of, it cant be that expensive.

what i did was just buy the pc controller pack which includes a 360 controller and the microsoft reciever, i needed a spare anyway cause just a couple of days later i shattered my original controller after not being able to beat a buddy at forza motorsport, controllers fault though, it was pulling slightly to the right.

#8 Posted by Raven10 (1922 posts) -

I have one. I think it is official but I'm certain. It works fine though. One of the best purchases I've made.

#9 Posted by ikilledthedj (334 posts) -

Also have had a fake one for years and it works fantastic and gets used everyday. They are mostly $5-$10 anyway just take a chance and enjoy!

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

They sell the bundles at my local Best Buy, and that store fairly recently. I take this as a sign that they are coming back.

#11 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

I had an official one for about 2 years with only a moderate amount of use, the USB section of the cable started pulling out and separating to the point where my computer cannot figure out what it is. So the fake ones may as well be better than my experience anyway. I resorted to borrowing a PS3 controller and connecting it via bluetooth, way more reliable.

#12 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

Got mine on Ebay for like $5 many years ago.

#13 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4488 posts) -

The knock off's are fine, the one I got through Amazon is still going strong since I bought it over a year ago.

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -
#15 Edited by PaulKemp (114 posts) -

Any one of you dodes have a how to that works for windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit? For the unofficial one. Thanks

#16 Posted by Consaw (253 posts) -

@paulkemp: Just download this driver from Microsoft and follow @damisterchief's instructions. The windows 7 driver will apply to windows 8.1.

1. Go to Device Manager
8. Enjoy

#17 Edited by Octavian123 (6 posts) -

They only sell them in bundles here...Like..you can't get a wireless one without a reciever.

#18 Edited by Amafi (923 posts) -

My reciever broke, looked around a lot for a single dongle, but no luck, had to get another bundle. So I've got 4 360 controllers now, 3 wireless and one wired that I never use.

#19 Posted by MormonWarrior (2661 posts) -

I ordered a dongle that came with the software manual and CD from eBay...it's legit too. I'd say secondhand may be the best way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.