Are adventure games dying or just being merged into other genres?

#1 Posted by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

I tried playing that Grim Fandango and while I love the style and the story and find it really funny from the intro, I start playing and think to myself that the gameplay is really boring and pointless. I'd rather just watch it as a movie rather than being frustrated spending ages working out what to do or clicking to move about because the gameplay isn't fun, the story and script is.

So when people say adventure games are dying well....... yeh the gameplay is boring that noone really finds it fun and thats why they don't sell well. However the thing that made them so good which were the story is now being put into other genres like FPS and RPG where the gameplay is more action based and fun.

So really have they died? The boring gameplay has but the stories that made them so great in the first place have just been merged into other genres.

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Every game... is an adventure. Let us set sail!

#3 Posted by AlwaysCrashing (89 posts) -
PapaLazarou said:
"I tried playing that Grim Fandango and while I love the style and the story and find it really funny from the intro, I start playing and think to myself that the gameplay is really boring and pointless. I'd rather just watch it as a movie rather than being frustrated spending ages working out what to do or clicking to move about because the gameplay isn't fun, the story and script is.

So when people say adventure games are dying well....... yeh the gameplay is boring that noone really finds it fun and thats why they don't sell well. However the thing that made them so good which were the story is now being put into other genres like FPS and RPG where the gameplay is more action based and fun.

So really have they died? The boring gameplay has but the stories that made them so great in the first place have just been merged into other genres."
Yahtzee said the same thing in that Game Damage pilot. But I disagree. The essence of the gameplay in adventure games are puzzles. In other variations of adventure games (not lucasarts ones) it can sometimes be about dialogue, and choices. I think that the gameplay is slow, but not necessarily boring.

After all, Braid and Portal were essentially puzzle games with a great narrative. There's still a place for old school adventures, or maybe I'm just clinging to the past.
#4 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
#5 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Well I think traditional point and click games really require the inclusion of puzzles. That style of adventure game has become very rare. Action Adventure games are too different for me to compare them to old PC adventure games. So I do think that they are dying out.

#6 Posted by maxwell (40 posts) -
Shadowgate NES Screenshot

#7 Posted by Soulglove (145 posts) -

Heavy Rain for the PS3 will be in the adventure genre, and the same developers made Ingido Prophecy (or Fahrenheit, the superior version). The Sherlock Holmes games are adventure, there's a couple Dracula ones out. There are so many cheap ones that came out the past two years for the PC, just look for them on the shelves.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15855 posts) -

Adventure has merged with all other genre's.

#9 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I always thought the simple gameplay allowed for Developers to focus more on the storylines which were always great.

#10 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Technically Gears is also an adventure game, afterall you go on an adventure.

Just what do you think is a good old regular adventure game?

#11 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

Actually now you should use the term Point 'n click adventure becasue almost all of the games of various genres (excluding racing , RTS and straight shooters ) have some adventure elements to it . Point 'n click adventure games are not dead , there are still many games of high quality like Still life 2 being produced by the developers . gameplay wise these adventure games are all about engaging stories , dialogs and puzzles  . you should not expect more from these games .

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (15855 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"Actually now you should use the term Point 'n click adventure becasue almost all of the games of various genres (excluding racing , RTS and straight shooters ) have some adventure elements to it . Point 'n click adventure games are not dead , there are still many games of high quality like Still life 2 being produced by the developers . gameplay wise these adventure games are all about engaging stories , dialogs and puzzles  . you should not expect more from these games .
"

I still remember that Pink Panther point and click game. It was awesome.

#13 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"Technically Gears is also an adventure game, afterall you go on an adventure.

Just what do you think is a good old regular adventure game?"
I think he means what is also called Point-and-Click.

Finding it boring is merely taste. I have fun playing this type of the, I don't think the gameplay is boring at all.
And the genre isn't necessarily dying, it's just not mainstream anymore. There's a huge indie community that makes said games. And bigger publishers have found a place for them in episodic content, like Sam & Max. A Vampyre Story just came out, and although it's critically aclaimed, no one even talks about it, let alone play. So, it's not dying, it's just hidden.
#14 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"Actually now you should use the term Point 'n click adventure becasue almost all of the games of various genres (excluding racing , RTS and straight shooters ) have some adventure elements to it . Point 'n click adventure games are not dead , there are still many games of high quality like Still life 2 being produced by the developers . gameplay wise these adventure games are all about engaging stories , dialogs and puzzles  . you should not expect more from these games .
"

I still remember that Pink Panther point and click game. It was awesome.

"
  It certainly was

zitosilva said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Technically Gears is also an adventure game, afterall you go on an adventure.

Just what do you think is a good old regular adventure game?"
I think he means what is also called Point-and-Click.

Finding it boring is merely taste. I have fun playing this type of the, I don't think the gameplay is boring at all.
And the genre isn't necessarily dying, it's just not mainstream anymore. There's a huge indie community that makes said games. And bigger publishers have found a place for them in episodic content, like Sam & Max. A Vampyre Story just came out, and although it's critically aclaimed, no one even talks about it, let alone play. So, it's not dying, it's just hidden."
  Exactly

#15 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

Dreamfall and Indigo Proph are both relatively new games, and you have Heavy Rain coming + a bunch of NDS titles so not dying, but certainly the age of Myst is over

#16 Posted by TekZero (2665 posts) -

They still make point and click adventures.  You're just not looking in the right places.

www.adventuregamers.com

Check it out.

I'm a huge fan of the genre and I still play any good ones that I find.

#17 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

If you're talking about point-and-click adventure games, yes, the genre is pretty much dead. It's a real shame too - just look at the excellent Zack & Wiki for the Wii.

#18 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

Adventure games are not dying, games genres that were not adventures before are being made into adventures.

#19 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

They're mostly being merged into other genres. There are plenty of games with things from adventure games in them. Adventure games in general though, at their core, they are kinda near death I would say, though I still enjoy them plenty.

#20 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -
PapaLazarou said:
"I tried playing that Grim Fandango and while I love the style and the story and find it really funny from the intro, I start playing and think to myself that the gameplay is really boring and pointless. I'd rather just watch it as a movie rather than being frustrated spending ages working out what to do or clicking to move about because the gameplay isn't fun, the story and script is.

So really have they died? The boring gameplay has but the stories that made them so great in the first place have just been merged into other genres."
I wouldn't at all say that the charm and great stories in the classic adventure games have been transferred over to FPS and RPG's. Most action games just have uninspiring bland stories and characters. The last game I played with that "adventure game charm" would probably be Psychonauts.
#21 Posted by DiCo (5 posts) -

Does Little Big planet count?

that game has the whole adventure nostalgia

count in the endless playback with user created content

everything else is being merged, because games are so advanced now... causes a creativity drought...

#22 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6103 posts) -
TekZero said:
"They still make point and click adventures.  You're just not looking in the right places.

www.adventuregamers.com

Check it out.

I'm a huge fan of the genre and I still play any good ones that I find."

Beat me to the punch.  With Sam and Max so widely available and the abundance of adventure games like the Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie series, the adventure genre is far from done.  However, the big-budget adventure games of the past have definitely slowed to a trickle.  Heavy Rain looks very promising.

EDIT: I've come to realize too that certain variations on adventure games have evolved past the point of being recognizable as such.  For instance, one of my absolute favorite series of all time was Quest for Glory.  It was a point-and-click with RPG elements, like stat allocation, fighting sequences, and a wide, colorful cast of characters.  For years I lamented its death and shouted to anyone that would listen that they need to make games like that nowadays.  However, I came to realize this last year that a game like Fable 2 takes most of the best elements of Quest for Glory and modernized it, in a surprisingly amazing fashion.  And really, Fallout 3 does much the same, as does Oblivion.  So the melding of genre favorites into more modern game certainly isn't a bad thing.  Would I like to see the world of Quest for Glory again?  Hell yes.  Would I be terribly disappointed if it never happened?  Of course not.  These other games are simply amazing and well-deserving of the term "spiritual successor."
#23 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

The point and click adventure genre isn't dead yet.  I brought all the new Sam and Max episodes as well as several other ones that were released last year.

#24 Posted by aznan (96 posts) -

I thought Starbreeze's games reminded me very much of the adventure games of old despite being action games. Both The Darkness and especially The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay had long stretches of just puzzle solving (though often in a violent way) between action sequences.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.