Are you upgrading to Windows 8

• 199 results
#1 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

#2 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I primarily use OS X these days, but I still have a Windows 7 desktop that gets a fair amount of use. I actually think that MS pretty much perfected Windows with Windows 7 and since I have no interest in the Metro UI I see no other reason to upgrade.

#3 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

While I'm not too jazzed at some of the changes (logo, Start button removal), I am almost definitely upgrading to Windows 8.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9708 posts) -

No. I'm still happy with Windows 7.

#5 Posted by kmg90 (420 posts) -

I have to see more then screenshots and the half-completed developer preview build...

I am waiting for the Beta

#6 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Really dependent on how different it is from the latest dev build.

#7 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

Windows 7 is great. I honestly don't see the need for an upgrade even if Windows 8 was looking good, and it's not looking good. I think W7 will become the new XP and continue to thrive for long after the next OS is out.

#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

No. I'm still happy with Windows 7.

#9 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

I'm happy with windows 7, if windows 8 gets good reviews I will probably upgrade 6-12 months after it's released.

Never jump on board a new windows os in the first few months

#10 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Eventually, yeah, but not for a while. Windows 7 is amazing, and I've only had my laptop for 2 years. Maybe in a couple years, when I move on my own, have a career & build a desktop, I'll install Windows 8.

#11 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I am also perfectly happy with Windows 7, but we'll see.

#12 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

While I might not be upgrading my desktop right away, I'll probably be getting some type of tablet-laptop hybrid with W8. I suppose I'll only be interested in upgrading my desktop if I can buy an affordable 30-ish inch touchscreen for it, which seems unlikely.

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

I will as I like shiny new things but I'll probably wait half a year or so for it to get patched up.

#14 Posted by jelekeloy (456 posts) -

I'll probably get it if it's not $100 and everything I use is supported.

#15 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Probably, but it depends on how it turns out. There's some stuff, like Skydrive integration, that I think could really give it some major advantages over 7. But, you can't really tell until it comes out. And the price will most definitely be a factor.

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I'd still use Windows 98 if it was supported.

#17 Posted by TMThomsen (2074 posts) -

Windows 7 have been treating me very well, so I won't upgrade to 8 right away - if ever.

I'll sure be interested in checking out their new features, but so far it looks a tad too much like iOS in terms of design > productivity.

#18 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

I can't help but want to upgrade, and I own a WP7 phone so I might as well go all-in on the Microsoft ecosystem, right?

Although by the time it comes out I may have switched to a MacBook, but I'll probably be dual-booting anyway.

#19 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I've only just gone from XP to 7. I can't keep up!

#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I have yet to hear a single reason why I should. Everything I have heard about Windows 8 is the exact opposite of what I want from an OS. I'm predicting this to be Vista all over again.

#21 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I want to, 'cause at it's desktop-esque core, it seems like it won't be too different from W7, but with added nice things. I'll admit I'm not too keen on the Metro stuff on my desktop (I really like it on my phone though) but you can just disable it so it's all good.

#22 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I won't upgrade my PC for a while, but I will be buying a new laptop with Windows 8.

#23 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

I still have Vista, so I kinda want to.

#24 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I'll stick with W7 as long as i stay happy with it, besides id rather let other people test it out first when its properly out just to make sure it isnt going to blow anything of mine up or whatever, but i imagine ill eventually upgrade just only when i absolutely have to, if i will have to.

#25 Posted by MetalBaofu (1386 posts) -

Nope...it'll be like always for me. I won't change from 7 to anything else until I have no choice(computer breaks or something).

#26 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

7 is the best Windows since XP, which was easily the best Windows ever. 7 is just so right, and everything about Metro and the whole tablet focused bullshit is just so wrong. The best bit is if you don't want that Metro UI, you basically tab back out into Windows 7 anyway. It looks near identical. Gunna stick to my 7 thanks, the only good thing I heard is faster copying and pasting. Oooooooooo.

#27 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

When is it expected to launch? Whenever it does, I'll be upgrading. I am getting tired of Vista.

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Yes, after the first service pack.

#29 Edited by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

Assuming my school starts providing free windows 8 like they do for windows 7, yes. Plus it gives a better excuse to finally upgrade with an SSD

#30 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I'll probably just dual-boot Windows 7 with the beta version of Windows 8. Most likely Windows 8 Beta will be the secondary OS until I can get used to how everything works and if every necessary hardware driver works on it. I mainly just want to make sure everything runs properly on Windows 8 before it becomes my primary OS.

#31 Posted by Vextroid (1405 posts) -

Eventually. Most likley after the release the first service pack or if I'm still studying and get get it for free/discounted.

Win7 is still great and will be for a year or 2 past Win8's launch.

#32 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

I'm perfectly happy with my Windows 7 laptop - so I'll probably only get Windows 8 if I buy a new PC with it in the package.

#33 Posted by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

I've only had extensive experience with the developer preview so I think I'll have to wait for the beta to come out before I make any decisions. I'm definitely not happy with metro replacing the start menu, and I'm still perfectly content with Windows 7 so we'll have to see when we get a version that's actually something close to a final product.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for another 3/4 years probably.

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

lolno. It's probably gonna be vista 2.0. I'll wait for WiNine

#36 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

I'll let you know in another week or two. I've installed the consumer beta and the interface is really freaky. It'll take some getting used to before I make a decision if I'll upgrade sooner versus later.

#37 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

I'm still recovering from the trauma of switching from XP to 7 a year ago. Definitely not keen on switching again anytime soon.

#38 Posted by TobbRobb (4652 posts) -

I live by the belief that only the uneven Windows versions are good. 98 was fine, fuck millenium, XP was great, fuck Vista, Win 7 is the best one, skipping 8, wait for 9.

#39 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

I've used the Consumer Preview a couple of days now. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

#40 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

I'll stick with os X Lion :)

#41 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Until the industry that I work in moves to Windows 8 I wont be moving to Windows 8. Partially because I don't like it but also because I don't want to use one OS on one computer, and a different one on another.

#42 Edited by Horrifying (38 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

I live by the belief that only the uneven Windows versions are good. 98 was fine, fuck millenium, XP was great, fuck Vista, Win 7 is the best one, skipping 8, wait for 9.

...Yep. The odds are always the refined version of the evens. I'll definitely be trying out a Win 8 tablet though.

Edit: Forgot to say -- no, not upgrading.

#43 Posted by Tennmuerti (8104 posts) -

Honestly I only switched from XP to 7 to be able to use more then 3gigs of ram and when too many games started coming with DX11. (i happily skipped the Vista debacle) at which point 7 already had a comfortable service pack behind it's belt.

So untill there is something similar to push me off 7 i'm comfortable with it for now.

#44 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

Definitely. Although there is much lacking with the Consumer Preview, it's just a Beta and will obviously undergo massive changes before the final product is shipped. I love the style of the OS and I love being able to just press the Windows key on my keyboard to access everything I use. My Desktop section will be empty and will only serve as the backdrop for when I open browsers and external programs (or apps, as they're now referred to in Windows 8).

With that being said, I think the strengths of Windows 8 lie in how the OS is integrated into tablets and Windows Phones. PCs with touchscreen monitors too.

#45 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Nope. I tried the candidate they released and there was nothing that made it feel worthwhile for me. Was incredibly clunky and while it has a stylistic look, it doesn't really do anything with it except make navigation hard

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Nope, nothing really looks worthwhile for me.

#47 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

No.

#48 Posted by Jeust (10651 posts) -

No. I dislike the Metro UI.

#49 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (760 posts) -

Didn't like the consumer beta, but i'll have to give it a better spin once the retail version is out.

#50 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

W8 looks to be adding a lot of smart additions to the desktop-side client. Much-improved task manager, better copy/paste tools, a more unified interface, et al. But the removal of the Start "menu" in favor of their Metro start "screen" just does not jive with how I use Windows on a day to day basis. It's going to either take the ability to re-add the Start menu into W8 or some major improvements to DirectX to get me to upgrade any time soon. Altering my Windows workflow to accomodate their unified Desktop/Laptop/Tablet dream just doesn't sound like a good use of my time, or my money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.