Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Are you upgrading to Windows 8

• 194 results
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By SeriouslyNow

If I get a Samsung Slate I might.  Otherwise probably not unless a killer Metro app comes along.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Marz

i'll only upgrade if it's required for gaming at some point..... like dx12 or something... but not anytime soon.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Subjugation

Until a compelling reason is provided, no.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CaLe

Why would I not? If I can procure it I will use it. PROCURE.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Hitchenson

Hell naw. I'm good with 7 for now.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Spankmealotus

"I have yet to hear a single reason why I should. Everything I have heard about Windows 8 is the exact opposite of what I want from an OS."

This

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By xyzygy

One thing I don't think people understand is the feature "pin to Start". I see that people say it takes too long to access things and that it will get in the way of their workflow, but in reality the Start screen allows the opposite. You can pin ANYTHING to the Start, and arrange them or remove them as you see fit. You can easily find things and faster. Everything you need can be pinned and it will become the hub of your PC, thus making the desktop merely a backdrop for your browsing or applications.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By McShank

why would i? when 8 comes out then i can buy a legit version of 7 for cheap :D!!! and so far 7 has had no problems with me so why change what isnt broken? Same thing with Xp .. i only changed becuase it limited my hardware and the games i could play.. otherwise i would never have moved on..

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#59  Edited By gla55jAw

I love 7 so for now, nope.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Skald

No, but I will be upgrading to Mountain Lion on the day of release.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By subject2change

Need to see how it responds with AVID Media Composer first, otherwise may try it on my laptop. Otherwise I am content with Win7 Pro.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Stepside

@Mr_Skeleton: haha my thoughts exactly.

Can someone explain to me how the tablet-oriented UI will translate to desktops? I'm kinda worried about the functionality...

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By Kyle

I always get the new version of Windows pretty quickly. Upgrading is fun. I know a lot of people balk at the notion of adopting a new OS before the first revision, but I've never had any real problems. People just like to be naysayers.

Losing the Start menu will be weird, but everything that's in the start menu is already equally as accessible through different means in Windows 7, so I think it will be a much smoother transition than most people think.

I tried out the dev preview a bit, and might have even started using it daily, but there aren't (or weren't) any drivers for my sound card at the time, so it wasn't really an option.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By emprpngn

I'm really concerned about the lack of a Start button... I can't see the Metro UI being faster unless you're using a tablet. I access almost everything through the start menu, so slowing down what's become a really intuitive process for me isn't going to work.

I haven't tried out the consumer preview yet. Does anyone know how easy it is to access files from metro? Just from screenshots it looks more like an app launcher than anything else.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

WINDOWS XP MASTER RACE

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By Kyle

@Stepside said:

Can someone explain to me how the tablet-oriented UI will translate to desktops? I'm kinda worried about the functionality...

From what I experienced in the few hours I had it installed, all the new tablet-oriented stuff is more like an addition on top of the existing Windows OS. The desktop/explorer stuff is all pretty much the same, with the exception of the start menu being removed. For better or worse, I really don't think the desktop experience is going to change very much. Tested has a lengthy quick look at win8 up right now.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Toxeia

As much as Apple's systems are interconnected I believe that's what Windows 8 is setting out to do. I'm excited about Windows 8 but only as a promise of how WinPho8 and Windows 8 for tablets and desktops will work together. That being said, I despise the metroUI's roots creeping into the desktop version, especially this thing about the desktop being an app and the 2/3rds window thing. The desktop version really needs to open metro windows in the desktop environment instead of the desktop environment being inside the metro ui.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Paliv

As long as 7 is heavily supported I'll probably stick with it. I have no interest in the new interface as I'm not very social and most of the metro ui is worthless to me.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By krazy_kyle

I am currently not looking forward to it but if it means directX 12 then so be it.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By Jackel2072

not my main machine. but at some point im going to have to play with it because of my job. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By JJOR64

Maybe at some point, but I'm fine with Windows 7 right now.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phone and tablet interface for my pc! No thanks.

habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By habibyjohnson

I predict this will be like Windows Me..Quickly shunned and forgotten by everyone. Sure if you have a Windoes tablet it''d be good for you. Unfortunately noone has a Windows tablet. Expanding this clearly made-for-tablet/touchscreen OS into their mainstream desktops/laptops is insane and stupid. all i can say is wtf.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@kmg90 said:

I have to see more then screenshots and the half-completed developer preview build...

I am waiting for the Beta

The beta has been out for months, and they just released the consumer preview this past week that I am running. It is a hugely polished version of the beta, and they said they added over 100,000 revisions to the code, so that means something right?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@habibyjohnson said:

I predict this will be like Windows Me..Quickly shunned and forgotten by everyone. Sure if you have a Windoes tablet it''d be good for you. Unfortunately noone has a Windows tablet. Expanding this clearly made-for-tablet/touchscreen OS into their mainstream desktops/laptops is insane and stupid. all i can say is wtf.

It's more of a business shift. It's the message to all microsoft customers that converging the smartphone, tablet and desktop is the foremost responsibility, and merging their technologies is obviously the future of computing. Sure windows 8 will not be as good as the touchscreen control as it is with mouse, but the point of it all is simplifying the platform, and using windows 8 for nearly a week on my main machine, I'd have to say the interface is just fine with tradiional control. When it officially releases, some small group of people will bash it for whatever reason, maybe it's awkward to get around, or maybe its too simplified for desktop use, whatever the gripe is, it's pretty obvious those people are going to be the ones who hate change for change sake. It's clear Windows 8 will not be 'forgotten' because this is the biggest and most important refresh to the OS in 20 years. There really isn't any going back for Microsoft, if windows 8 fails, they can't go back to the normal desktop, the philosophy of computing has changed far too much for Windows to fall back on what was successful, they need to win mobile, and windows metro interface is the best way to do that right now.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BlatantNinja23

The day windows 8 ships will also be the day I put a SSD in my gaming machine along with it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By DeF

no, as long as I can avoid it, I will. I don't wanna screw me out of even more old games that are barely compatible with Win7

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By spazmaster666

I just spent a couple of days with the Consumer Preview and I must say that apart from a few compatibility issues with some software (a given since this is just a beta), I actually quite like Windows 8. I don't even mind the lack of a start menu as the Metro Start Screen actually has more functionality is some respects as the Start Menu. It'll just take some time to adjust. I probably won't be using it on my primary gaming machine however, until the software compatibility reaches a point where its as good as 7.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By RIDEBIRD

When it's out, yes. Windows 7 was a huge upgrade over Vista and XP.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Wolverine

I installed the consumer preview on a separate partition. It was fucking horrible. I kept making mistakes and pressing things unintentionally. This is going to be Vista x10.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mandude

Is anyone else's Windows 8 riddled with graphical glitches? Nearly everything is unresponsive and Firefox keeps emulating a laser light show. It's fucking annoying...

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By amir90

ATM, no.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CheapPoison

Nope, by standard it's time for them to release a bad os again.

Next one though, well maybe.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#85  Edited By AndrewB

Maybe. It depends on pricing. Actually, probably not. I don't have too much against Windows 8, other than the weird shoehorned elements of Metro and traditional Windows stylings together, but I don't have anything against Windows 7 either, and the cost is 0 now that I already own a couple of copies.

I think Windows 8 could be a great product if Microsoft was willing to take things a step further with their consumer/business split and... well... actually split the OSes. Metro would be great with some refinements and with ripping out the old UI elements, and business users won't want to use any of that crap because they don't want to spend money retraining people.

Which, by the way, is totally what they'll do with either the next release of WIndows or the one after that, once they have enough Metro apps to fill in a tidy catalog. For now, I'm not entirely okay with the hodgepodge they're giving us.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#86  Edited By misterhaan

i've been using windows 8 since the developer preview came out, so i guess that's a yes.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mrcraggle

I still need to check out the consumer preview (I keep putting off partitioning my harddrive) but from what I've seen, some things just look counter productive to multi-tasking.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mandude

Okay. After testing out all my current Steam games, only one of them works. Oh well, time to reinstall 7.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't get my IME 3.0 to run at 500hz in Windows 8 so I had to go back to 7.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By august

@mandude said:

Okay. After testing out all my current Steam games, only one of them works. Oh well, time to reinstall 7.

Did you have a Raedon card? They put out special drivers for the preview.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mandude
    @august said:

@mandude said:

Did you have a Raedon card? They put out special drivers for the preview.

Nah, nVidia GTX 560. Some games work when I switch to dx9, so at least I have something to play, but compared to the initial support for the 7 RC, this is atrocious.
    benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#92  Edited By benspyda

Nothing I heard about it makes me want to upgrade. Win7 performs great and that's about the most important thing. I think I'd only upgrade if it effects gaming like DirectX 10 and windows XP did.

F4t4l3nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By F4t4l3nd

@andriv said:

I'm happy with windows 7, if windows 8 gets good reviews I will probably upgrade 6-12 months after it's released.

Never jump on board a new windows os in the first few months

this

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ShockD
    @mandude said:
    Sounds like a great start.
    PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By PatchRowcester

I don't think so. If they give me the option to replace the metro UI without using third programs, I might try it, otherwise, I will wait for Windows 9.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By GunnBjorn

Since Vista, a lot of my old PC games don't work (much due to the fact it's 64 bit). Windows XP was just perfect. All games ran delightfully. Man, wouldn't it be great if Windows was truly backwards compatible. Without resorting to subterfuges that'll only make your system instable. As of yet, no, I will not upgrade to Windows 8. I first want to hear/read the consumers' hands-on reactions. The guys at Tested will probably walk us through it when it comes out.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By KodiakKoolaid

From what I've read of the previews, the interface of win 8 is worse than 7 for desktop users so i'll be sticking to win 7

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#98  Edited By Tordah
    @MysteriousBob  said: 

I've only just gone from XP to 7. I can't keep up!

Same here. Couldn't be happier with Windows 7. Maybe I'll skip Windows 8 and wait for 9 like I waited and skipped over Vista.
    atomictofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By atomictofu

After playing around with the preview, I probably won't be upgrading my desktop, but I'll be tempted if/when there's a slick Windows 8 tablet available.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Aurelito

Sure. Costs me zero to nothing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.