Ati 4870X2 Guru 3d preview

#1 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -
#2 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Amazing product considering it beats the GTX 280 in every benchmark they did, (though they havn't included crysis, it's a preview btw).

Priced at around $449-499, pretty damn good for the price too, it gives amazing performance and framerates, PLUS it's 2GB

#3 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

As an ATI fanboy, I am proud to say it beats the 280GTX and i'm keeping an eye on it, double this with Intel's Nehalem launch in October and I have a feeling a lot of people will be having building new rig's.

#4 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -
Will1Lucky said:
"As an ATI fanboy, I am proud to say it beats the 280GTX and i'm keeping an eye on it, double this with Intel's Nehalem launch in October and I have a feeling a lot of people will be having building new rig's."
Oh yeah, definitely. Considering Intel is only going to let the Nahalem work on their X58 and won't let Nvidia use Nahalem chips on Nvidia chipsets
#5 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Beast, though I think my PC would melt...

#6 Posted by sgthalka (55 posts) -

Looks great. My first PC gaming rig had a Radeon 9700 Pro, so I've been rooting for ATI even though my last two video cards were Nvidia.

Currently have a 640MB 8800 GTS. Don't really feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, unless there are some new games coming that deserve some boosted hardware purchases.

#7 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -
sgthalka said:
"Looks great. My first PC gaming rig had a Radeon 9700 Pro, so I've been rooting for ATI even though my last two video cards were Nvidia.

Currently have a 640MB 8800 GTS. Don't really feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, unless there are some new games coming that deserve some boosted hardware purchases.
"
Yeah definitely wait and check out the reviews of the 4870X2 and the price I thihnk this is the card to get this gen
#8 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

Im getting a new pc next month, I think ill just settle with the 4870. I only have a budget of $2000 au. which can get me somthing quite good.

#9 Posted by MachineHead (2 posts) -

Im thinking about going 4870 crossfire

#10 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

That cards rating is magical. Why didn't they put 9800gtx2 in there mmm?

#11 Posted by MrRetep (81 posts) -

Yep i might put this in my new rig

#12 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
sculsoldi3r said:
"That cards rating is magical. Why didn't they put 9800gtx2 in there mmm?"
the HD 4870x2 outperforms the every single Nvidia dual or single Slot solution right now, including the 9800x2.
#13 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

interesting, it definitely looks like it could be a really good card, looking forward to more benchmarks and bit more of the top end running games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 when it comes out.  Flight Sim X is always a good test for benchmarking aswell but if this card performs THAT good on super high resolutions then its going to be the mac daddy of video cards right now. with 8800s becoming more of the norm with gamers these days, nvidia's newer lineups the 9 series and the GTX 280s haven't really impressed me that much at all over the tried and trusted 88's.... This will be brilliant i reckon......  and this comming from an nvidia fanboy lol

#14 Posted by HipHopHitler (59 posts) -

Hopefully they start to gain back some space. They've been on real shaky ground recently so it's good to see nVidia has to deal with some proper competition. In the end it's much better for consumers.

#15 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

totally agree HipHop. (kool name haha)  but seriously..... ATI i feel have REALLY struggled ever since the release of the 8800s so this will be very nice for ATI, and consumers too, if this card really does what it looks like its going to in those benchmarks.... a much needed boost because nvidia i think feel they've had no competition for far too long and keep chugging out graphics cards like birthdays with no performance increase, not really.... and its costing the consumer a lot of dollors....

#16 Posted by HipHopHitler (59 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"totally agree HipHop. (kool name haha)  but seriously..... ATI i feel have REALLY struggled ever since the release of the 8800s so this will be very nice for ATI, and consumers too, if this card really does what it looks like its going to in those benchmarks.... a much needed boost because nvidia i think feel they've had no competition for far too long and keep chugging out graphics cards like birthdays with no performance increase, not really.... and its costing the consumer a lot of dollors....
"
Yeah, the obvious example would be the Series 9 range, which lasted a month. ATI have been picking up the pace ever since AMD bought them, and it's good to see them bring out a solid top end performer, but they need to hit that mid-range card. I'm not sure but i think the current 4800 cards haven't been performing too well on the sales front, but that'll definitely pick up with time.
#17 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

From what i've read and going by some of these benchmark sites, ATI have REALLY struggled with adding AA on with a lot of the games especially at high resolutions, they kick ass right untill you turn on the AA and in a lot of cases just do a crash-to-desktop soon as u turn it on.... but going by this new card, it abslutely blows away that minus right out of the water playing at what was it? 2400 res with 4X AA?  thats WOW!! in my book....

#18 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

Looks good but I think I might stay with my 8800gt for a while

#19 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -
y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
the HD 4870x2 outperforms the every single Nvidia dual or single Slot solution right now, including the 9800x2.
"
Ahh IC, by how much?
#20 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
sculsoldi3r said:
"y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
"
Ahh IC, by how much?"
The gap is quite big between the 9800GX2 and the HD 4870 X2 (As if even beats the GTX 280 SLI in some tests) , here are the benchmarks, http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=4

#21 Posted by Abunai (147 posts) -

With my monitor size, a HD 4850 is plenty for smooth frame rates .^.
But this looks awesome regardless, nice for the people who can afford it

#22 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -
y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
"y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
"
Ahh IC, by how much?"
The gap is quite big between the 9800GX2 and the HD 4870 X2 (As if even beats the GTX 280 SLI in some tests) , here are the benchmarks, http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=4

"
Linked
#23 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
albaker said:
"y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
"y0y0 said:
"sculsoldi3r said:
"
Ahh IC, by how much?"

"
Linked
"
lol thanks dont know how to link things yet...
#24 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

haha pretty easy just highlight a sentence then press the link icon on the toolbar and insert the the link in the URL, happy to help

#25 Posted by GiantGUS (399 posts) -

I am so glad I have a laptop so I don't keep worrying about videocards that are new and stuff.

I have a good laptop wit a GF 8400GS M and 4GB of ram so it runs every game.
When it doesn't: NEW LAPTOP. Because I get too obsessive about which one to buy, and I always want to get the newest videocard when they come out.

#26 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Wow, looks awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.