Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

ati 5770, any good?

boboshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By boboshoes

i am thinking about getting a 5770 to replace my 7800gtx so i can play arma 2. Does anyone know how the card holds up in arma 2 or other demanding games?(couldn't find any vids of it in action on arma 2). Also, im not sure how bad my crappy cpu(intel e2180@2.4ghz) will hinder its performance. 

full rig atm:

win xp 32-bit
    3gb ram
    e2180@2.4ghz
    nvidia 7800gtx

thanks

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Your processor is definitely going to hinder its performance, sorry to say. 

The 5770 is a solid card and very good value for money, but it's not going to play Arma 2. That's not a huge downside though, since no card can play Arma 2 at the moment. Even the GTX 480 gets less than 30fps. It's less optimized than Crysis and by far the most demanding game at the moment. 

No Caption Provided

You should probably post your entire build. If your processor is any indicator you probably don't have enough memory either. For a 4-5 year old PC with no upgrades, I would recommend just doing a complete overhaul. 
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

I have two in my computer.  They're very good cards and they run extremely cool. When Crossfired they run at about the power of a 5870 but even a single card will get the job done.

One can handle most games you throw at it.  You won't be able to max Crysis but you can run it smoothly on high settings with 4x anti-aliasing.

And yes, that processor will hinder your performance.

boboshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By boboshoes

oh and btw i will be running games at 1680 x 1050 not 1080p

full rig atm:

win xp 32-bit
    3gb ram
    e2180@2.4ghz
    nvidia 7800gtx

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SSully

i say bite the bullet and just save up for a whole new rig, it will pay off in the long run.

boboshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By boboshoes
    @SSully: i cant at the moment cause my parents are buying me the card for my 16th bday and i have to save up for my trip to israel :/
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Even if you cpu bottlenecks the card, it's still a way better card than your 7800GTX which would be absolutely unacceptable now for pc gaming. The hd5770 is slightly below the power of a gtx260, still it's acceptable. You might not be able to get all the framerates out of it, however you will notice an improvement.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By korwin

The 5770 is a fantastic middle of the road card.  Another option is to save up another couple of bucks and grab the 5830, but the 5770 is still a very sweet option.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmrwacko

Runs super cool and plays most games on high settings at 1080p. However, the 4770 is $50 cheaper and apparently benchmarks as well or better than the 5770, but doesn't support DX11.

I'd recommend it. Or maybe go for a slightly higher end card. Depends on what you want to play.

Oh and make sure you have PCI-e slots on your motherboard. Old motherboards may not be compatible with newer graphics cards, so watch out for that.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By theduke

4770 does not compare to the 5770

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Ferginator4k

Ive heard nothing but great things about it and im planning to get one for my next upgrade.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko

I'm sorry, I must have been thinking of the 4870.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By gunslingerNZ

jmrwacko is right, you're best off trying to get one of the higher end HD4000 series cards. They're probably really cheap now and you'll get better performance for less money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.