Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

ATI vs. Nvidia in individual games

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dangerousdave

Hey y'all, 

I'm looking to buy a graphics card, and I'm leaning towards the GTX 275, but I'm not completely sure.  I hear ATI's 4890 is very comparable, and I've read that it's best to compare the graphics cards based on what games you intend to play. 

Fair enough, I know a lot of games are built with specific architectures in mind and will run better, or have been optimized for certain engines, etc.

I'm basically looking for a directory that lists games and what company's videocard they'll run better on.  Does anybody know a good resource, or is this a silly question?  If there's not such a thing, does anybody know which graphics cards the following games/engines would run better on? 

• Mass Effect (or anything on Unreal Engine 3)
    • Far Cry 2
    • Crysis
    • Wolfenstein
    • Supreme Commander
    • Fallout 3
    • Bioshock
    • Empire: Total War

Thanks in advance, 
    -jesse
    dark_maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By dark_maggot

I have no idea where you could look for a list like that. 

I have a NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT and all the games you are listing work perfectly with all settings maxed out and no fps loss.

I am no video card know it all but you at least might get some idea from the model I have when you make your final decision.

Cheers.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By torus

Fact: Either of those graphics cards will handle all of those games on maximum settings, with little discernible difference. The small differences in theoretical performance numbers have little impact on actual performance. 

The only place you would see a difference is if you were playing at a super-high resolution, where the larger amount of vram would help performance. 

Get the cheaper one. NOTHING stays bleeding-edge for long, so there is no point in paying that premium. 

Just for reference, I have a MOBILE version of the gtx 260, and it plays all those games superbly. A desktop version will be much faster.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

As has been said, most card vs card comparisons will only apply to theoretical numbers games will work if your card is the reccomended specs, ram, OS, processor all have a quite large affect on this.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By droop
     Far Cry 2: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/944/7/
    Benchmark Results: In Far Cry 2 the Radeon HD 4890 does better than the GeForce GTX 275 without AA enabled, but once 8xAA was turned on the GeForce GTX 275 and even the GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 played the game with higher frame rates.

I 'unno.. Try Google?
    dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dangerousdave

Thanks for the replies.  I realize they'll both handle the latest titles quite well, I'm just kind of skeptical of how much they will.  I just recently updated my computer's motherboard, processor and RAM but was underwhelmed by the performance improvement I got.  I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz, ASUS P5Q Pro, and 4gbs of G.SKILL DDR2 5-5-5-15.  The graphics card I've got right now is an 8800GT 512mbs.  It's obviously what's holding me back, but even then, it's proving to be a bit more of a bottleneck I thought it'd be. 

I'm currently playing Mass Effect on high textures at 1680x1050.  In areas not populated at all I can get up to the low-50s for frames, but during combat it can drop down to the 20s.  Also, I got all the upgrades to my machine primarily just so I could finally play Oblivion with everything turned on, and was disappointed that I wasn't able to do that with a stable framerate.  With high textures on, at 1680x1050, I would still get a framerate in the low-40s in dense forests or the Marketplace.  I know that it's not the best optimized game out there though, but still, I thought I'd be able to overcome that with the setup I had.  By the way, as a side-question, I read that Fallout 3 actually runs better than Oblivion because it's optimized so incredibly well.  Is that true?

@dark_magot + torus:
    you both give me hope that this will be indeed a huge improvement, since even you, dark_magot, on a 9800GT runs those games really well.

Anyways, think I'll get a big performance improvement with either of the previously mentioned cards?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE
    @dangerousdave: There will be a significant and noticeable boost to performance you if plop a 275 in there. Keep in mind the differences  between cards is overstated most of the time. Cards in the same price range usually will perform comparably...or else they wouldn't be in the same price range haha.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I'm on a GTX260 core 216 and I still get framerate drops in UT3 (edit - below 60fps, doesn't go below 40fps, but it definitely spends a good amount of time around 50fps) with graphics maxed at 1680x1050.  Oblivion runs very smooth even with lots of mods, but will still chop up for loading (probably because I have several GB of extra textures going on).

I would suggest not throwing too much money at hardware just to play games a little better.  What CPU were you running before?

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dangerousdave
    @Diamond said:
    "What CPU were you running before? "
    I had a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 w/ hyper-threading.  The dual-core helped a huge deal.  The GTX260 core 216 gets a lot of praise.  It's treated you well?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @dangerousdave said:
    " @Diamond said:
    "What CPU were you running before? "
    I had a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 w/ hyper-threading.  The dual-core helped a huge deal.  The GTX260 core 216 gets a lot of praise.  It's treated you well? "
    My previous was a Pentium 4 3.0 /w HT, I'm surprised you aren't ecstatic moving to a E8400, that's the same chip I got.

The GTX260 core 216 is very nice.  I bought my computer through AVADirect for a lot of reasons, and basically the core 216 was a MUCH better deal on that site than a GTX275, so you might consider both.  Going higher than a GTX275 isn't going to be worth it, especially with DX11 cards around the corner.  I'd suggest waiting anyways because there's bound to be price drops.

I can run Crysis with settings very high (a few settings lower a few higher) at 1680x1050 with no AA, and it's very playable.  Drops to around 20fps, but I feel graphics really is what makes Crysis worthwhile, so I might as well be playing with settings super high. 

I won't complain about my core 216, obviously it's not perfect, but I can't imagine how much I'd have to spend to make every game run perfectly.
    dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dangerousdave
    @Diamond said:
    "My previous was a Pentium 4 3.0 /w HT, I'm surprised you aren't ecstatic moving to a E8400, that's the same chip I got."
    I'm definitely selling the E8400 short.  So far I've had a really great experience with it overall.  Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects have benefited tremendously from it.  A lot of the games I have had it play have run perfectly as well.  Red Alert 3 runs flawlessly with everything at max on 1680x1050, and anything on the Source engine does the same.  The negativity comes from Oblivion.  It was the first game I installed and I was excited about running everything perfectly, and when it couldn't do that I was a sad panda.  I had similar experiences with BioShock and Mass Effect.

@Diamond said:
    "Going higher than a GTX275 isn't going to be worth it, especially with DX11 cards around the corner.  I'd suggest waiting anyways because there's bound to be price drops."
    DirectX 11 is supposed to ship in October, right?  Does that mean we'll see a new line of DirectX 11 cards around then?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @dangerousdave said:
    DirectX 11 is supposed to ship in October, right?  Does that mean we'll see a new line of DirectX 11 cards around then? "
    It sounds like it, at least more or less.  Sounds like ATI/AMD will bright theirs out first.  The biggest benefit will be reduced prices for stuff like the GTX275 in the shorter term.  Still might take a while after the release of the DX11 hardware.  Really the prices on the GTX260 216 or GTX275 or the ATI hardware isn't bad right now, but when you consider you could wait a few more months and get another $50 or more off probably...
    dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dangerousdave

The reduced price is appealing, but I think I'm drooling too much right now to wait much longer.  Thanks for the help, Diamond.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.