Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Because we need a new one every 5 min, help me build a new PC!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

After seeing my PC finally chug away while playing a game I have resigned myself to the fact that it's time to sell my old PC for as much as I can and to invest in a new one. I have not been up to date on PC hardware for a few years now, so I just got done spending the last 4-5 hours reading every article and building guide I could find and have come up with the below build. Really, I'm just looking for some one to read over the details and make sure I'm not getting something that's not compatible and if someone can show me where some of this stuff might be on sale that would be a plus.

PartNameNEGG.caMEXP.comFutureshop.ca
    CaseNZXT Phantom 410 Case$129.99$129.99$119.99
    GPUASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB$429.99$449.99$449.99
    PSUCORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W$129.99$129.99$99.99
    RAM4x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600$89.96nana
    MoboASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77$224.99na$206.99
    CPUIntel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz$339.99na$329.99
    RAM4x HyperX Genesis 4GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3naThe Mobo, CPU and Ram are a bundle for $639.97na
    RAM2X Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHznana$99.98

newegg.ca

Total= $1,565.20 with 4x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

memoryexpress.com

Total= $1,531.07 with 4x HyperX Genesis 4GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3

Futureshop.ca

Total= $1,476.83 with 2X Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Assuming everything works out, I'm thinking of going with Futureshop as newegg does not have that case in stock so I would need to buy it from another location and I have never used memory express before so I don't know how trusting they are. However memory express have a painting on the case that I much prefer to the one on Futureshop. The only thing is they are a site I have never heard of so I am a bit weary with spending that kind of money on a site I'm not aware of. Plus Futureshop is around $100 cheaper!

So what are your thoughts?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Did you forget a hard drive or are you going to try and reuse an old one? Also, don't forget to add Windows to the cost of your build if you don't have a copy already.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

It's hard to believe that futureshop is your cheapest option. Try ncix and canadacomputers before you throw down atleast .

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cannonballbam

There is also Tiger Direct, they tend to sell bundles with some parts that you can just piece out for a lot cheaper than what your anticipating.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By hangedtoaster

I've used Memory Express in the past they're reliable, very nice people as well.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crusader8463

@MB said:

Did you forget a hard drive or are you going to try and reuse an old one? Also, don't forget to add Windows to the cost of your build if you don't have a copy already.

I actually already have a 128GB SSD in my current PC that I'm going to throw in there. I would like a bigger one, but it's enough to cycle a good stable of games and maybe in a year or two when they go down in price I will pick up a bigger one. I do plan to look for a cheap 1TB/2TB HDD to keep as a media storage drive and as a place to store my backups of Steam games for quick installation . I also already have a new copy of Windows 7 that I bought a few months back and can use. Just gotta remember to De-authorize it on my current build before I install it.

@Kidavenger: @cannonballBAM: @hangedtoaster: Those are just the ones I found doing a quick look around last night. i spent most of the night just deciding on the parts I want and will spend today shopping around for the best deals once I get off work. By the time I got to the part where I would need to shop around it was very late and I needed to get to sleep. Getting up at 5:00am for work every day sucks.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jimmi
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By me3639

What type of monitor do you have and what is its resolution? Are you thinking of running dual monitors? That is where you always should start.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crusader8463

@Jrinswand said:

If you really want to spend $1600 on a computer, be my guest. Did you really need helping putting this thing together or did you just want to show off your components?

Yes I did because I always end up overlooking some socket or some component that makes the whole build fall apart and have to start again from scratch.So besides getting another set of eyes on the build to make sure that doesn't happen, I'm also looking to find out if anyone has an recommendations for other hardware that might be around the same performance, if not better, or if any of these things were "known" to be bad that I was not aware of due to being away from the hardware scene for so long. It's been so long since I looked into PC hardware that I couldn't tell you what the best general rule of thumb for the best bang for your buck is when it comes PCU/GPU. The last time I did it was the i5 and the 460.

@Jimmi said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Make sure you change it to Canada in the top right corner.

You're welcome.

Thanks! I'm at work right now so I can't get into too much detail on the sites but I will look it over when I get home..

@me3639 said:

What type of monitor do you have and what is its resolution? Are you thinking of running dual monitors? That is where you always should start.

At the moment It's just the one as I do not have the space for more then one. In the future I may upgrade as the monitor I have has bleed through problems but it's good enough for right now so I will save up for one later. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it's 1900 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080 or something like that. I don't have the best eyes in the world so I can't go much higher then that anyway. I'm sure the hardware is a bit of over kill for that resolution, but i like to build one Pc and keep it for a long time so I'm willing to spend the extra upfront to try and future proof it as much as I can.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

Wait... how much RAM are you putting in there? Why the hell does the Mother board and Ram combo cost so damn much? At most I would say that shit should cost as much as the processor.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crusader8463

@TheHBK said:

Wait... how much RAM are you putting in there? Why the hell does the Mother board and Ram combo cost so damn much? At most I would say that shit should cost as much as the processor.

That bundle is the MOBO, RAM and CPU. They had another one that was like $40 and you got a $128 SSD with it but that ones out of stock for obvious reasons.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crusader8463

Just thought I would update everyone with what I ended up going with.

ItemPriceName
    Case$129.99NZXT Phantom 410 Case, Black & White
    DVD Drive$19.99LG SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer, SATA, Black, OEM
    Hard Drive$109.99Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
    PSU$134.99Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply
    GPU$449.99Asus GTX670 DirectCU II Geforce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
    CPU$329.99Intel Core™ i7-3770K Processor, 3.50GHz w/ 8MB Cache
    MOBO$209.99Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
    RAM$124.99HyperX Genesis 16GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3 Kit

With the grand total, after shipping and taxes, at $1,711.85. Bit more then I wanted to pay, but whatever. I'm excited and can't wait for these to arrive in the next 5-10 days. I ended up going with Memory Express.com as they had the case I wanted and the same prices on just about everything so I figured I would put it all in one place so if something happens with any of this stuff I'm not trying to juggle a dozen different stores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.