Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best place to buy a new PC?

cximran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cximran

So, before I get a flood of messages telling me that building my own PC is the way to go, etc, etc, let me preface this by saying that I've been assembling my own PC for years now (the first one I ever put together was around when Battlefield Vietnam came out). I'm really just sick of the process of part selection, assembly, and troubleshooting when something goes wrong, so I've decided that my next PC is going to be built by a professional who knows what they're doing. The question I ask for you, the Giant Bomb crew, is where should I go?  

Is Alienware still horribly overpriced (granted, buying a PC rather than building it will always be more expensive, but Alienwares to me have historically been ridiculous) ? 

Does anyone here have someone they trust for new PCs? 

On a side note, a laptop could work as well.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

I think alienware's still fairly overpriced as far as they go. But it's still pretty good quality. Since advanced Dells are basically the same as Alienware, I might go with that, they're pretty powerful, and not too expensive, given you don't bother with buying a monitor. 

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Tested just did a video review of an Alienware laptop and they seem to be still way overpriced. Not sure about the desktops but you could check out their website. You should post this question in the Tested forums too. Norm or Will may even give their opinions. They seem to roam the forums a bit.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ubiquitous

I know you say you don't feel like dealing with all that stuff, but you are always going to be able to get a better deal and a better computer by building it yourself. If I were you I would do just that, especially since you've done it multiple times. BUILD BUILD BUILD!!! 

..... But I think I remember my friend buying a computer from Ibuypower and he was happy with it, you could try that, but I still say build it.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

Where abouts are you OP e.g. UK? That could help with people recommending you sites. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By carlthenimrod

Newegg sells pre-built computers. You can try there I suppose.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Branthog

I don't trust any place for gaming rigs. The ones that are priced about the same that you could build one for all too often seem to use proprietary or commodity parts and the ones that don't are absurdly expensive for what you get (Alienware, Falcon NW, etc).

On the other hand, after about twenty years of building dozens and dozens of rigs, I just don't look forward to it anymore. That may be part of why I don't do a lot of PC gaming anymore, outside of MMOs and RTSes. Something always goes wrong and there's always more hassle than you anticipated. Bad ram. Bad motherboard. Or in my case once, an ASUS motherboard with a Pheonix/Award BIOS that was actually *PIRATED*. And poorly, at that, requirement me to do a lot of debugging to prove why it wasn't working and then deal with the retailer to get their stock handled and my part replaced.

It was fun when I built my first PC from scratch when I was twelve years old. That was twenty years ago. Now I approach the prospect the same way I approach tax time.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NakAttack
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " Newegg sells pre-built computers. You can try there I suppose. "
    beat me to it
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

Newegg.  Got my Acer quad core Q9300, dual 640 GB HDs, 8 GBs RAM, GeForce 9800GT for $650 on special a year ago.  Otherwise if you want to go cheap and not have to watch sales, costco  online has zt systems for cheap given the hardware though they are likely on the loud side.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArcLyte

Falcon Northwest makes the best high-end computers money can buy.

Guillotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Guillotine

Another option, depending on where you live, is finding a local place that sells individual parts and puts it together for you, or another place that will do it. For example, there's a place in my city that sells tons of parts on their own, but then will charge only $40 to put it together for you, even loading the OS (which you can get the OEM price for in this case), and they're very professional. You don't get all that extra useless pre-installed software that comes with brand computers.

karakuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By karakuchi

www.ibuypower.com

You can pick the parts out and they put it together for you, and its about the same price you would have paid if you bought the parts and built it yourself.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno
    Digital Storm offers the best build quality out of any PC maker I've ever seen and offers very good pricing in addition. CyberPowerPC is not bad either. Falcon Northwest also has good build quality, but they are very overpriced so I would not recommend them. DO NOT go with business OEMs such as Dell, Gateway or HP; they have extremely shoddy build quality for outrageous prices. This goes partially for Alienware as well, which has been tainted by Dell's QA and pricing system. 
    cximran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cximran

Thanks for all the help guys - I am in fact US based. 

I'll give Digital Storm a try, I'm not sure if I'm willing to go into IBuyPower. 

Sure, it's totally cheaper to home build, but I don't really feel like it.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chyro

ibuypower is probably your best bet.   Cheaper then most of the big companies out there.  And the reviews are pretty solid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.