Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best power supply for this build?

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JTB123

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated as to what parts could be improved. Build is below:

Case – Fractal Design R3

MB – Asus Sabertooth Z77

RAM – Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A 8GB 1600MHz

GPU – EVGA GF GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5

CPU – Intel i5-2500k

HD – Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM (x3)

If someone could point me towards the best power supply to go with this build that would be great, I really can’t get a sense of what a good deal is regarding them.

Thanks in advance.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Franstone
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Do you plan on adding an extra graphics card into your computer? If you do, then this:

@Franstone said:

Corsair PSUs seem to be rated the best. I'd go with no less than 850 if you ever want to use SLI/Crossfire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Might as well get 1866Mhz RAM since that board supports it.

is fine. If you're certain that you don't want to do that, though, then you can go for this.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Franstone

Yep, if you're never gonna use dual GPUs I'd say go for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031

At least it's semi-modular.

Seeing how that board you are getting is $250 I guess the price difference isn't an issue but you may already be breaking the bank.

Edit: Anything in between those mentioned would be fine as well.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

@JTB123: The Gigabyte brand 660 Ti has slightly better benchmarks and is a much quieter GPU than the EVGA card. It also has the lowest temparatures.

Further, I have pretty close to that exact build, except I have one 1TB HDD and a 120GB SSD instead. I use this power supply. Whatever power supply you choose, try to go for one that's at least semi-modular so you don't have an octopus of wires eating your airflow.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Toxeia

850's actually more than you'll need with that rig, even if you add another video card and another ssd or hdd. I'm running SLI and more hardware and peripherals in my case than you've got with a Corsair HX 750. I wish I had one of those readers so I could see how many watts I'm actually using, but I imagine I'm somewhere around 500 or so?

Antikythera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Antikythera

I'm on my phone at the moment but I would recommend getting 650 watt Ultra brand supply from tiger direct I only say this because of experience no issues and has a lifetime warranty. 650 watts is sufficient for your current setup .

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JTB123

Thank for all the info guys.

@believer258: I had thought about adding a second graphics 660 a little later so that is something I want to consider regarding my PSU. Or at that point would it just be better to go with a single, more powerful card?

Also, what is the main benefit of a semi/modular PSU? I remember the Tested guys mentioning that in Jeffs build.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@JTB123 said:

Thank for all the info guys.

@believer258: I had thought about adding a second graphics 660 a little later so that is something I want to consider regarding my PSU. Or at that point would it just be better to go with a single, more powerful card?

Also, what is the main benefit of a semi/modular PSU? I remember the Tested guys mentioning that in Jeffs build.

For me, personally, I've heard that there are some problems with Crossfire and SLI with some games, particularly with microstutter, so I wouldn't do anything like that for a while. I would just go for a 680 if you're looking for that kind of power.

BUT

People have done it and it's a successful technology, so if you're comfortable with disabling one card for some games then you should be fine. But I don't have a ton of experience with this technology, so in this case Google is your friend.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devildoll

@Toxeia: 660 ti's peak at like 150 watts, your cpu probably dont use more than that either, couple of watts here and there for mobo and hdd's and you are close to that 500 you were talking about, but this is a peak value.

@JTB123: the benefit is that you can detach all the cables you dont have any use for.

so your case isn't cluttered with extra cables that restrict airflow, makes stuff ugly and obstructs maintenance.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Toxeia

@Devildoll: 670's but yep. I actually ordered a thing to read power usage today so I'll find out exactly.

@JTB123: If your case is even half decent it should have paths for wiring so it doesn't fill your case. Mine all routes behind the motherboard's panel so the only wires that are visible are going to the video card or my internal USB expansion card. Modular PSUs really help with this though if your case doesn't have that.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devildoll

@Toxeia: 670's seem to peak at about 160w each.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JTB123

This will be my first build so if having a modular PSU will make things a little easier then that's great, even if it is just less cables to work around. I swapped out RAM seeing as the price difference between 1600 and 1866 was only £8, and went with the 850 PSU just in case I need it further down the road. Added in the faster RAM and PSU the final build is below:

Case – Fractal Design R3

MB – Asus Sabertooth Z77

RAM – Corsair CML8GX3M2A1866C9R LP Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz

GPU – EVGA GF GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5

CPU – Intel i5-2500k

HD – Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM (x3)

PSU - Corsair HX850 Professional Series

Once again thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciated.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devildoll

@JTB123: just make sure you put that faster ram to use if you are going to buy it.

you usually have to go into uefi and set the frequency manually if it is above 1333 MHz

edit: not that it'll make a significant performance difference if you dont....

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

@Devildoll said:

@JTB123: just make sure you put that faster ram to use if you are going to buy it.

you usually have to go into uefi and set the frequency manually if it is above 1333 MHz.

Yep, you will have to go into BIOS and check it's set to the right speed. I only have 1600MHz RAM, but still had to turn XMP on to get the full speed out of it.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JTB123

@Sticky_Pennies: Apart from that are there any other difference between the Gigabyte and EVGA brand? The gigabyte one is only £20 more and if that's the superior card then I'll go with that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.