Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Bought a new HDD Not sure if I should still get a raptor

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jams

I just bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD (7200RPM and 32MB Cache) 

What I was wondering is, will I get a nice performance boost with a 10,000RPM Raptor? Supposedly the 32MB cache speeds things up too. 

I was thinking of either getting a raptor or another 1TB black. What do you guys think>
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

It'll speed you up a little bit, but not enough to warrant the price tag.

It also depends on what kind of performance you're talking about.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jack_daniels
    @jams: I built my pc with a tiny raptor just 74 GB's to install my OS on. I do think it makes boot up faster though. I try to keep it as empty as possible but thats not always easy. Right now I have 16GB free of 70. And whats more fucked up I still only get a 5.9 in windows experience index. Which is so lame.  My next lowest one is a 6.8 :( for graphics. Which is also bullshit as WEI (Windows Experience Index) Won't test for multiple graphics cards in crossfire.  That may sounds stupid but its just a pride thing. I spend a pile of money on an awesome system and I want a good score! I can play crysis at 60 fps settings maxed!

Anyway, Im not sure how you get a higher score then a 5.9. I do know that your TeraByte drive will have a higher write and read speed but the Raptor will have much faster seek so it will be good when booting but not when transferring a file.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.