Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Bought a used R9 270 off of ebay. did i get ripped off?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Hey all, i bought a used R9 270 off ebay a few days ago for $75 plus $6 for shipping. Paid immediately via paypal through ebay but have yet to see a shipping notice or get a tracking number. Seller sold 30 of these cards to various people. Did i get ripped off? This is the 3rd day since the initial transaction.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By slyspider

Smells fishy, might be time to look into contesting payment but I don't ebay

Edit: Listen to other people not me!

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Postings generally have "estimated handling time(s)" or something similar, especially when it's items in bulk quantities like that, so I'd suggest going back and checking to see if there is one. If there isn't, contact the seller through a private message and ask what their typical handling time is. As for actually being scammed, hints would be: what's the seller's rep? Is this the first thing they've sold? Three days seems too early to be worrying about this, unless there's an estimated handling time of 1 business day. Worst comes to worst, eBay's generally pretty good about you getting back your money if you were ripped off, especially if you payed through PayPal.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Sounds like the guy is selling his parts from a bitcoin mining machine.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If the seller's rep is good, it's quite possible that they simply don't ship right away. I generally don't treat Ebay as a store. There's a dude who's probably just waiting for X orders before taking them to the post office to ship them off.

Just politely send the seller a message.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VierasTalo

Doesn't mean anything this early. Especially since it's the weekend. People don't mail stuff on weekends.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Sounds like the guy is selling his parts from a bitcoin mining machine.

This is exactly what I was just about to say.

There isn't anything necessarily wrong with buying old mining cards, there's a good chance this R9 270 was worked at 100%+ for a year or so.

@oldmanlight I think it's a bit too soon to say if you were "ripped off" or not. Just contact the seller through eBay and see what's up. Some people just don't ship fast, and if he sold 30 of them he may be doing something like waiting for payment on all 30 before packing them all up in order to save trips to the post.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all, i bought a used R9 270 off ebay a few days ago for $75 plus $6 for shipping. Paid immediately via paypal through ebay but have yet to see a shipping notice or get a tracking number. Seller sold 30 of these cards to various people. Did i get ripped off? This is the 3rd day since the initial transaction.

I'm going to be super blunt because of a really shitty experience I had as a SELLER on ebay recently, and because of how totally awful ebay treats sellers.

Do not freak out, do not be that asshole. Please. Selling on Ebay is difficult enough as it is.

I just sold an item on Ebay and went through a fuckin' nightmare because the guy I sold to was jumping the gun, making crazy assumptions and accusations. I shipped the day I said I would, notified the guy immediately, with a tracking number. He wouldn't give up on the fact that it wasn't updating.
    It arrived like 3 days before I said it would.

Ask for the date it was supposed to arrive, and then give it 2-3 days after that. Then just contact ebay and notify them that you haven't received the item.

Shipping is weird, and usually once it's dropped off it's totally out of the seller's hands. I tried contacting UPS to see why the tracking info wasn't updating past the message that basically means they are waiting to receive it, and they didn't really give me anything useful.

Wait at least 1-2 weeks before trying to hassle this guy by contacting ebay. Send the sender a polite, non-accusatory message on ebay and if they aren't able to lay your fears to rest, wait a week or so depending on how far the package should be shipping and then consider contacting Ebay. But make sure you contact the seller first just in case they have some information to help solve the problem.

Remember, ebay isn't Amazon. It's just a duder on the other side. And a lot of it is out of their hands at a certain point. Don't jump to conclusions and don't accuse them of anything.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jarmahead: I've been trying to keep a level head about this. I honestly hadn't thought that these would be so cheap because they were from a bitcoin mining machine so that gives me a little more peace of mind as to why he's asking for so little.

I had a bad seller experience on amazon with some foreign lady who bought a steelseries gaming keyboard from me while on vacation in the US. Did all the right stuff, shipped right away, provided tracking number, etc. she Contacted me freaking out that it hadn't gotten there and when I checked the tracking info, it said delivery had been attempted to the address but the owner of the house had stopped all mail delivery to the house they were renting. All I could think was, "Who the fuck buys a gaming keyboard while on vacation in another country?"

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's the weekend, so I would say wait until Monday before you enter full panic mode (since you said this is the third day since the transaction). If the thing isn't shipped sometime Monday contact the seller. If they don't respond in a few days go straight to ebay. They're pretty good about sorting things out and getting the right people their money back.

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You gotta wait like 15 days before opening a dispute. Then when you do Ebay will look into it and let the seller respond. If he doesn't you will get your money back. Paypal protects it's buyers and sellers.

Always check the seller rating when you are interested in buying something from an Ebay auction.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I avoid eBay, I have used them, but in general it my last option when I simply cannot get anything any other way. I don't think sellers are bad in general, but I think there is a lot of 'human error' and 'human who cares' when you are dealing with what amounts to an online flea-market.

My time and sanity is MONEY to me. I don't care what eBay has in place to deal with disputes because once something gets to the point of annoyance or aggravation it already too late for 'rules, policies, and dispute remediation' to make it better. I don't have three days to hash this out over e-mail or over the phone, and I certainly don't have 15 days ever - never f'ing ever.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jarmahead: I've been trying to keep a level head about this. I honestly hadn't thought that these would be so cheap because they were from a bitcoin mining machine so that gives me a little more peace of mind as to why he's asking for so little.

I had a bad seller experience on amazon with some foreign lady who bought a steelseries gaming keyboard from me while on vacation in the US. Did all the right stuff, shipped right away, provided tracking number, etc. she Contacted me freaking out that it hadn't gotten there and when I checked the tracking info, it said delivery had been attempted to the address but the owner of the house had stopped all mail delivery to the house they were renting. All I could think was, "Who the fuck buys a gaming keyboard while on vacation in another country?"

Eh people buy electronics on holiday all the time, mostly 'cause it's a lot cheaper in the US than it is in Europe/Aus etc. As for the op, just wait man, 3 days isn't very long, not everything is Amazon where it ships sometimes the same day as you ordered it.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I, for one, would've gotten you at a higher price if I were ripping you off. I think you're ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.