Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Bsod when playing tf2, anyone know a fix?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By RobotHamster

When trying to start any match in TF2 my pc gets a bsod and restarts, it just started happening the other night and I haven't played since before the mvm update so I'm guessing that could be part of the problem. I ran a memtest to check the ram a few days ago because the same thing was happening when I would start 3ds max but everything came up fine.

I verified and defragmented but nothing, I redownloaded the whole game and still the same issue. My computer has been a little weird lately so does anyone know how to check for a solution? Thanks!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

It's probably your graphics card maybe biting the dust. Do you have another you can swap in and then try to run the game?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

@artofwar420: No I don't, but I just got it about 5 months ago and other games are running fine. I'll see if maybe I can borrow one from a friend and I'll try that.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By artofwar420

@RobotHamster: So it's only TF2 and some other programs that make it go blue screen? That's really weird. What's the card brand? Have you tried different driver versions? Like beta. I have an Nvidia card and with the official drivers I was getting BSOD when I went to stand by, so I installed the beta drivers and no more issues.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

@RobotHamster:

Are you only experiencing the BSOD with TF2? Or does it happen with other fullscreen games?

Make sure you do these two things:

• Restart your computer (This solves a mind-boggling variety of hard-to-pin-down issues).
    • Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

You mentioned your computer being weird lately. This may indicate a hardware problem or it may be something as simple as your case being dirty. If the inside of your case looks anything like this then getting all the dust out with a can of compressed air will do wonders. (It's a good idea to take your case outside or under a fume hood before attacking that dust).

Post back with an update and the community should be able to direct you down the correct troubleshooting path ;)

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Insectecutor

Sounds like it could be a PSU issue. Check your voltages in the BIOS or with speedfan or something. I had something similar with my 3.3v rail dropping to ~3.0v. I fixed it by reseating some power cables.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MAGZine

first thought on any sort of game that bluescreens is that re-installing the graphics card driver is a quick and easy thing to do that usually fixes the problem.

When you bluescreen, there will be a line of text solo near the top of the Bsod. This is an error code and would help a lot in determining what is causing the bluescreen to happen. It might say something like DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, as pictured below. If it displays a file name and address locations, those are also things to have handy. Sometimes the bsod will mention a specific driver file which can lead to an easy fix if you reinstall the driver that the file is a part of.

No Caption Provided

See if you can get this and report back. Alternatively, just go ahead and reinstall your graphics card drivers and see if that helps. You can also try removing or disconnecting any hardware that you recently added, or uninstall any programs that you installed since you have been getting the error.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

Alright I'm back sorry it took so long, and still nothing..

@artofwar420: It's a Radeon Sapphire HD 6870, I downloaded the lastest driver and the pc now freezes instead of blue screening. I downloaded the beta driver but I think it says its version 12.6 while the latest is 12.8 so I haven't installed it yet and am wondering if I should.

@Ravenlight: So far other games run fine, it's just TF2 and Autodesk 3DS max (which is weird because Maya, Photoshop and other programs run just not that one). Just updated drivers and the was a little dust so I cleaned that but now it freezes rather than a bsod.

@Insectecutor: I reseated the power cables and nothing. I'm not entirely sure which to check so I took a pic of the bios and some of the specs. I'm assuming it's the 1.1 but I'm not sure.

@MAGZine: Updated the drivers and it freezes instead of a bsod so I wasn't able to check what it said and I couldn't remember what the first line was.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RobotHamster

@Ravenlight:

Yup, when I'm joining a server and when I click options on the main menu.

And no luck with that solution, I tried a few more solutions from google but none really had my problem.

Not really sure what else to try so I probably ask steam support, thanks for the help though!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

@RobotHamster:

Good luck! Be sure to post another reply if you fix whatever's busted!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

@Ravenlight: Thanks, and I will.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

Haven't had a BSOD in a while but had my share of issues with running 3DS Max & Zbrush from time to time. With the BSOD when it happens after the restart, just set aside some time to check the important updates on the operating system, video card, important drivers like directx. Then just try out the program normally to try to repeat what you were doing to see if it happens again because the BSOD could have been due to something in the operating system or a background program. Good luck.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RobotHamster

@fox01313:

Thanks I'll try that out tomorrow, it's late now and I don't feel like dealing all these problems. 3DS blue screened as soon as I click to open it, it doesn't even get into the program, haven't tried Zbrush to see what happens but Maya, Photoshop and UDK work so I don't see why the other wouldn't. I've updated the video card, and everything else should be updated but I'll check them out. I'll have to look it up but I'll also check to see if the OS or another program may be causing it. Could a virus be causing it to crash? I know I had some a bit ago because my for some reason MSE turned off, but I'm certain I've cleared them and scans show nothing, and I don't know why it would affect only those programs. But thanks a bunch for the help, I'll let you know what happens.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

@RobotHamster: With 3DS Max you might just write to autodesk to have them look at it. When I was taking part on one online survey site (Panda Research if I remember right), their app was somehow screwing over 3DS Max so the or Microsoft would have a better idea on what could be stopping the program. With electronics issues best way to find out the problem is just to look online as well as just keep trying to repeat the process then isolate what could be causing the problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.