Build me a Computer

Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

So I it is time for me to build a new PC my current one is 4 years old and starting to struggle to play the latest games that come out here are the specs

• System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  • System Model: GA-MA785G-UD3H
  • Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM DDR2
  • Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
  • Radeon 5870 GPU

What I want to do is switch to Nvida and to a Intel chip set I am looking at spending around 3K NZ on it basically I want something that can play all the next gen games on max has a solid state hard drive so it is fast to boot up and a case that is really quiet. I will also be using this computer to stream via twitch and start encoding videos to upload to you tube at 1080P.

The computer I am currently using will be relegated to a media center.

#1 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

So I it is time for me to build a new PC my current one is 4 years old and starting to struggle to play the latest games that come out here are the specs

• System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  • System Model: GA-MA785G-UD3H
  • Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM DDR2
  • Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
  • Radeon 5870 GPU

What I want to do is switch to Nvida and to a Intel chip set I am looking at spending around 3K NZ on it basically I want something that can play all the next gen games on max has a solid state hard drive so it is fast to boot up and a case that is really quiet. I will also be using this computer to stream via twitch and start encoding videos to upload to you tube at 1080P.

The computer I am currently using will be relegated to a media center.

#2 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

You can probably just get a SSD right now and delay upgrading for another year in the least. that GPU is only 2.5 years old and the rest is looking just as solid.

What games are you having trouble maxing? When was the last time you did a fresh windows install? Did you perform any OS tweaks and are you keeping the drivers up to date?

#3 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

@Questionable: Watch dogs I can only run on medium stuff like civ 5 seems to chug if I play it on large maps same with shogun 2. The last install of windows was three months a go I do a fresh install every six months I have it down to a science.

#4 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

I wish I could advise you but the specs you mention above already sound fine to me. My current PC has a bit less and personally I prever delaying upgrading for as long as possible.

But then I don't spare any expenses when the time does come.

#5 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1425 posts) -

Get a Z77 board, a i5 3570k CPU, a GTX 670 and new RAM in DDR3 (8GB should be enough). Don't know about the NZ prices though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.