Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Build that I plan to buy

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm planning on buying a new rig in the coming week or 2, I mainly use my pc for gaming purposes and I don't intend to do any overclocking. I hope you guys can tell me if this system is any good and if there are any changes that I could do to save some money.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (I know this thing is on the expensive side)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula

CPU: I7 3770 3,40GHz

Memory: Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3 1600 CL7 vengeance

GPU: EVGA GTX660 Ti

PSU: Corsair TX850M

SSD: Samsung 120GB 840series

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Looks pretty good, and yeah it's expensive! I tend to stay around the $600 - $700 midrange, with upgrades every 3 years or so.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Drop the i7 and go i5-3750k (I know you don't plan to overclock but going with the non 'k' version barely saves any money). Also, if you don't plan to OC your CPU or mess around the BIOS at all then you can go back a notch on the mobo. Get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 instead ($124 USD + tax on Newegg).

As for the PSU and GPU, you have some choices. Stick with the PSU (or maybe even drop it to 750W) if you plan on going SLI with that GTX 660ti. The other option is drop down to a 650W PSU and use the money saved from the first two suggestions I gave and get either a GTX 680 or HD 7970. Dual SLI'd 660ti's will give you marginally better performance/cost ratio half of the time and be a headache the other half due to the game you are playing not having proper support. Single, more powerful cards will get you up to 60fps and 1080p in games for the next few years. I would only recommend multiple GPU configurations if you have a triple monitor setups that you plan to utilize.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bishna

What @Andorski said. I have the ASRock Z77 and its been great. And an i7 is unnecessary if you are just playing games. Use the money saved to get a 670 or 680. Also I am curious as to why you are going with the Cooler Master Cosmos?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bishna said:

What @Andorski said. I have the ASRock Z77 and its been great. And an i7 is unnecessary if you are just playing games. Use the money saved to get a 670 or 680. Also I am curious as to why you are going with the Cooler Master Cosmos?

Yeah, I get wanting to get an awesome PC case. I'm currently thinking about dropping $200 on an ITX case, but good lord is that case expensive. You would be paying more for that than your GPU which is crazy to me.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

You can get a thermaltake chaser mk-1 case for ~$150 (I just did), drop down to the i5 3570k (as mentioned above), maybe use the saved money to get a better graphics card (670 or 680), and if you really want to save money just get a normal 1tb HDD (western digital).

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

@primalmaster: Maybe get the K version of your processor instead? Just in case you want to up it. And like others are saying the i5 3570k is the go to processor to go to.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By primalmaster

I currently have a Cosmos s1000 which is being sold together with the rest of my system, once I get the new pc. I've had this case for nearly 4 years now, and I've never had any complaints about it. I'm still thinking of just getting a HAF X, which is A LOT cheaper, but I'm not a fan of how it looks and it doesn't have dust filters. which is a big deal for me considering my room likes to get dusty. It's also a case I intend to keep for another 4 to 5 years.

I dropped the i7 for the i5 and switched to the ASRock Z77 extreme4, upgraded the GPU to a 680 and actualy saved about 20 euro's. I've never had an ASrock motherboard so I'm really curious about how they perform, a friend of mine seems to have nothing but good things to say about them .

@Grilledcheez I have other hard drives in my current rig which I will put in the new one, but want an SSD for my OS.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is there anything about the Cosmos II that you like in particular, other than it being a case you are familiar with and it having dust filters?

When I was thinking of making an ATX build I had the Corsair 600T in mind. I love the aesthetics and has a very good cable management setup. The dust filters are easily removable as well.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Daveyo520
    primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the looks of the case, as well as the layout of the inside. I hate not having enough room in a case, so the bigger the better I guess. the fan control buttons are pretty nice, although they aren't that important to me. If only it's price wasn't what it is, it would be the perfect case. Which is why I'm still not 100% about getting it, saving that money would be really nice especialy with the PS4 coming out later this year.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the looks of the case, as well as the layout of the inside. I hate not having enough room in a case, so the bigger the better I guess. the fan control buttons are pretty nice, although they aren't that important to me. If only it's price wasn't what it is, it would be the perfect case. Which is why I'm still not 100% about getting it, saving that money would be really nice especialy with the PS4 coming out later this year.

Might I Suggest the Thor V2? Its what I am using right now. Looks cool, tons of space, damn quiet and super cool (temps). It does a decent job of catching dust, but you can always get/make your own dust filters.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Andorski that 600T look really nice especialy in white, how are the temperatures in it ?

@Bishna I'm not a big fan of how this one looks to be honest, that and the store I'm buying from doesn't sell them. If only newegg had a european branch!

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you are going with a case that in some peoples views is ridiculously expensive, shell out the extra $5 for the K version of that cpu.
    Note that you are paying about 50% extra for that CL 7 memory, compared to the regular CL10, even though it's just a matter of $25, it is money you could spend going straight for 2x8.
    Both CL 7 and 16 GB's are kind of unnecessary, but the extra memory is something that is more likely to be worth something in the future.

Other than that, as some have stated, you could game just as good on a 3570, unless you are going to do some kind of heavy lifting, like streaming BF3, or such.
    looks good otherwise.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By primalmaster

I ended up reading up on that corsair case, and inted to buy that one. I also changed the graphics card to the asus model because of better temps and less noise.

This is what the current build looks like, I don't think there's anything I'll change about it now. So thanks for helping me out guys.

Case: Corsair 600T

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: i5 3570K 3.40GHz

Memory: Corsair 2x8GB, DDR3 1600 CL10 vengeance

GPU: Asus Videokaart PCI-e GeForce GTX670 DCI

PSU: Corsair TX850M

SSD: Samsung 120GB 840series

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Devildoll

@primalmaster:Yep that's solid.

As long as the motherboard has all the connectors/slots and features that you are interested in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.