Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a Computer (First Timer)

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dillonwerner

Case: Antec Two Hundred;

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

GPU: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

PSU: Antec Basiq BP500U 500W

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Disk Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW

Fan: Rosewill RCA-1204BK 120mm Sleeve Black Case Fan, 4/PK

Is this a good gaming computer build?  I don't PC game hardcore, but when i game I'd like to be able to run the games on recommended settings or higher.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Rockdalf

Depends on what games you're going to be playing.  What you looking into?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

HD5770, don't cheap out on the gpu. Spending the extra $50 is worth it.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dillonwerner
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon
    @DillonWerner said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

HD5770, don't cheap out on the gpu. Spending the extra $50 is worth it.

"

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit   will this be a good choice? "
    Sapphire is a pretty decent brand, that should do it. 

edit: Plus, if you have this and Windows 7 you can jump into some DX11 goodness.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

You may want a slightly larger PSU, I tend to go with a 750W min on a gaming rig. That way you'll know your covered if you want to expand and put in another GPU or HDD's.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Driadon: I've been able to get tesselation working on vista. You don't need windows 7 exclusively.

@DillonWerner: I usually don't buy ati cards, however I don't see why not, I heard of sapphire and the overall reviews seems good for that card. Also for that card you can run it on that power watt supply. The power requirements are only 450 watts (of course other things takes power from the psu too) this card should last you longer than the hd4850 which overheats, stutters and dies after a few years.  

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By commandercup
    @WitchHunter_Z said:

" You may want a slightly larger PSU, I tend to go with a 750W min on a gaming rig. That way you'll know your covered if you want to expand and put in another GPU or HDD's. "

Wattage isn't important (well it is, but it isn't an indicator of how well it'll actually power your system), check the amperage. You need a good amount of amps on the 12V rail to make sure you can power graphics cards.

Generic PSUs are bad, that Antec doesn't look very good, but it'll probably suffice.

Those fans push very little air (not necessarily a bad thing because they'll be quiet, but just know that they won't push a lot).

Grab this card instead of the Sapphire, it has a cheaper initial purchase price. 

Any reason in particular you're going with AMD?

Finally, are you sure you need 2TB? Unless you have a large collection of movies, music or games (and/or you torrent a lot), you shouldn't need so much space.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Rereading that, a green drive is only 5400 rpm (not good for gaming) compared to the usual 7200 rpm, your getting a slower hardrive that's for storage, yet gives you more capacity. Maybe you should just use the western digital 1tb black hardrive instead, then later on if you need more storage, which I doubt, you can get another 2tb green drive for a second drive.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Antec makes good cases.  I have the 1200.  If you are looking for a good midtower from them, then check out the 900, it is pretty cheap now and much better than the 200.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dillonwerner

Thank you gentlemen, I will be ditching my shitty laptop and getting this in a few weeks now.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @DillonWerner: Yes, that's the one. If you still need more storage, get the green drive as a second hardrive later on, for the first drive you want it to be fast and with enough storage. 1TB should be enough for gaming even if you buy steam games non stop. I heard western digtial drivers aren't the most quiet though, however they are usually the best.
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dillonwerner
    @HitmanAgent47: Hey thanks, I honestly don't even know what i would have done with 2tb anyway.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

My strategy with my first computer build was to A) first try transferring all the parts of my current (at the time) PC into a new case and then B) somewhat copy another solid build that I was sure would work out fine, modified to be based on parts that offered the best price-performance ratio and stuff that was on sale. 

More specifically to you, yes, I'd go with the suggestion of at least getting a 7200rpm drive. The video card totally depends on your monitor / the resolution you intend to run at. 

Here's a hard drive deal for a 7200rpm 1TB Spinpoint (a drive I'm currently using and it's great) plus a DVD drive for $71. Just follow the directions. If you're willing to shop around outside of just Newegg, you could probably shave some cash off the final build cost and still get free shipping.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Evilmetal

maybe too late for the following deal?

there is a seagate 1tb drive at amazon for 41.03...  if you are a student you get amazon prime for a year, so free shipping too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

it's a gold box deal and right now about 50% of the deal has been claimed...

it's a bare drive, so don't expect a cable...

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Franstone

Radeon 5870 would be even betterrrrr.... 
    Can get them on NewEgg.com for $350-$400.
    Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Devildoll
    @Franstone said:
    " Radeon 5870 would be even betterrrrr.... Can get them on NewEgg.com for $350-$400. "
    not the best thing to do when the 6000 series are just around the corner though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.